We desperately need a new mod

This issue has came to a head tonight. We really need a new mod as the workload is allready huge for the existing mods, and getting bigger with the onset of the school holidays.

The times when the spamming is worst is between aboout 11Pm and 6Am in the morning. So we really do need a new mod who could commit to these times.

I don't want this to seem like im criticising the mods/admin as they do a great job. It's just that we do need more likeminded people to help them overcome the amount of spam that misses their attention.

cheers

LJ

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best way would be for the admin or mods to firstly agree that they need another member in their ranks.

After that perhaps those that want to go for the position should make themselves known. Then we could do a democratic poll in a seperate thread for a few days. Highest votes = new mod.

That way we don't force it upon people, yet we get to still have a say in the matter.

Havoc, if you suggest me once more, I'l neg rep you every day until it reaches zero.

I'm not kidding, I don't want the job, OK??

Nominate Marlowe.

Crikey. I appreciate the gesture, but I don't think I'm on enough to fully abuse any such responsibility. I'm too busy abusing my powers as an official Arnies IRC operator to be doing the same on here, even if the moderators did think I was capable of doing so (and I'm sure they've got more sense).

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my moderation of the Arnies IRC server anyway - it's appreciated. However I'm sure there's loads of other responsible and far more mature regulars who'd do a better job of it than I could. :)

Edited by Marlowe

I nominate myself then... ;)

But seriously. I've been admining forums since mid 2002 and I've gained some experience on the subject... I also tend to look at the moderator status as a job - not a status symbol (and believe me, I've seen lots of forums with complete idiots going "first 5 members 2 post in forum bcome moderertors" and such...

Now just for a mod to stumble across the thread....

*Stumbles*

Right-o. First off, we are aware that another moderator (ideally a West Coast US mod due to their GMT offset) would be of benefit to the site, but the entire admin team has been somewhat overwhelmingly busy at the moment, and it has been difficult to get anything sorted out so far. We are looking in to it, but moderator selection is NOT done in a democratic manner for various reasons. Here's a few (as I posted in the existing "need another mod" thread...

Mod selection is done according to the following...

• 1. This is Arnie's site, so he gets final say in all matters, especially the mods he chooses to trust. After all, a miffed mod could cause serious damage to the site if they wished.

2. Myself and other current mods make recommendations to Arnie, as we see more user contributions than he does (He's a busy chap y'know :) ), so any bribes can be sent to R22Master at..... ;)

3. Location of prospective mods is a consideration at the moment, but someone unsuitable won't be chosen purely because of their location or the amount of on-line time they spend. The talent scouts are head-hunting future moderators presently, with an emphasis on people that are offset from GMT by about 6 to 8 hours.

4. Mods are chosen because they know how the site works, know the rules (or wrote them in my case :) ), have a good feel for dealing with 'grey-areas' that may cause problems but aren't strictly against forum rules, and have a friendly helpful demeanor. Being an Airsoft expert isn't essential, but it can help. Basically, it's that indefinable 'something' that makes certain users stick out as potentially good future moderators. "Rhino" is a classic example of someone who posesses all of these qualities and that is why he was chosen by me as this site's newest moderator.

5. If you do become a moderator, you'll end up spending a lot less time looking at what you are interested in and a LOT of hours scouring posts throughout the forums. It can be rewarding, but it's not the power-trip some people think it is - it's hard work :blink: If I weren't a mod, I wouldn't have to be explaining site policies in this thread, making decisions on what is and isn't acceptable to post, and have a stream of unpleasant people after my blood for banning them (always happens when someone is under the delusion that sending death threads, insults, and hostile PMs is perfectly ok as long as they are the only ones doing it). ;)

IT IS A VERY DIFFICULT JOB THAT TAKES UP A LOT OF TIME. Most moderators do not enjoy the job at all once they actually have to do it.

That's the way it's done. There's no application process, but if you've got what it takes, we'll find you. :)

I have a couple of users in mind for future moderating posts at the moment and will be PMing them when I get a few seconds to do so.

Does that make things clear?

I don't think a lot users lnow how to use the report button

p_report.gif This little buton sends what I believe to be a "ticket" to the moderators. This higlights the thread/post for them so they can go have a look and see if any of the forum rules have been broken, if its getting spammed to death etc. It makes the mods life a lot easier

I don't think a lot users lnow how to use the report button

p_report.gif This little buton sends what I believe to be a "ticket" to the moderators. This higlights the thread/post for them so they can go have a look and see if any of the forum rules have been broken, if its getting spammed to death etc. It makes the mods life a lot easier

EXACTLY!

The "Report" button turns EVERYONE in to a moderator. If you see a problem on the forums, hit the "Report" button and it will draw the attention of the moderators faster than a fart in a vacuum.

It sends a bulletin to all global moderators and admins instantly, detailing the post in question and the reason why it was reported. We click a link and it takes us directly to that post, ready to dispense instant justice.

If you see a problem and hit the report button, it helps us see who is spotting all the problems and therefor, who is more likely to make a good moderator. If you don't use it and just whine about needing more moderators, you go unnoticed.

Don't report unless there really is a problem though, or it will go down as well as a fart in a crownded lift.

Yeah, I have farts on my mind at the moment as I just fed the dog sausages and I'm beginning to regret it ;)

Cheers.

EXACTLY!

The "Report" button turns EVERYONE in to a moderator.  If you see a problem on the forums, hit the "Report" button and it will draw the attention of the moderators faster than a fart in a vacuum.

So its Arnies Version of "Citizens Arrest" then... woo!

Yeah, I have farts on my mind at the moment as I just fed the dog sausages and I'm beginning to regret it ;)

Cheers.

:spam::spam::spam:

(sorry, but I've always wanted to say that to a Mod)

*reports R22 for spamming*

*doesn't really*

*shuts up*

How would that be a popularity contest- picking people because you think they have the right skills and because they want to commit to the job?

Right thanks for clearing that up will. Also sorry for starting a new thread, but on the night i posted this we did need the issue to be addressed. It's done its job.

picking people because you think they have the right skills and because they want to commit to the job?

do people ever pick who they think has the right skills and becuase they want to commit to the job? Just like student council elections and high schools, people don't end up picking people for those qualities. That's why I think it's better to have the staff do it, becuase they are less likely to think that way.