Academy L85A1 Cosmetic Upgrades

king_P90

Looking around I find that most people give upgrade guides for the internals of the L85, this guide is going to show how to upgrade the externals.

The list of upgrades in progress at the moment:

replace cocking handle with real steel

replace magazine catch with real steel

replace cheek pad with real steel

replace foregrip with real steel

All of these upgrades will include detailed instructions and photos.

I do not want to hear moans about spelling, grammar, etc if there are I will remove this topic.

Disclaimer: I do not take any responsibility for damage to your gun while carrying out these upgrades. I will also be using some very powerful and dangerous tools (ie: Lathe, Grinder, Bench Drill, ETC) DO NOT try anything unless you are experienced with these tools as I will not take any responsibility for injuries inflicted while carrying out these upgrades.

doc_newstead: All of it is legal although they are considering making the cocking handle and mag catch section 5 which means you won't be able to buy them anymore.

ED-SKaR: Unfortunately not as easy as it sounds due to no thread on the barrel, however I intend to replace the entire outer barrel for a metal M16A2 barrel with a 14mm thread on the end.

I have finished grinding and drilling the cocking handle today, however the piece of rag I used to hold it as I ground the end off turned out to be part nylon, (even though it said it wasn't) so it's melted all over the handle! all I have to do is pick the melted plastic off it then it's done.

Also before someone asks I bought all these components from SA80 man at Beltring this weekend he has a website at: sa80 man

i wouldn't bother with the cheek pad personally extortionate for what it is.

I've got a metal split body (correct upper and lower rather than down the centre), thats showing some promise, aiming to have it finished late september/early october,(rather stupidly left in in the tech block and now the schools closed :rolleyes: ).

I think i've got the gearbox problem sorted but i'm not letting on jsut yet because if it doesn't work i don't want anyone else wasting money etc with my plans before i know it works.

the cocking handle looks ok but i had to sort that ghastly shiny plate that it attaches too :P

Cheers

Mig

Lance Jackass: None of these parts were bought through ebay. As i said in my original post they were purchased through SA80 Man who as far as I can tell is a registered dealer. Please go to his website here and read the information provided on his sources and what is classified as section 5. The cocking handle is rendered totally unusable after the conversion is completed as you quite simply chop it in 2.

mig_eater: already bought the cheek piece for £10 which i didn't think was too bad, however the real steel one is quite a bit shorter than the academy one. Where did you get the metal body from, is it bein custom made?

ED-SKaR: I think the M16A2 is not far off but don't quote me as I don't have anything for a comparison. As for the gaffa tape I'm trying to steer clear from that :P

one i'm painstakingly making myself using two (three in some places) layers of sheet steel for defintion.

going to do a proper job so bracing myself to get a decent hop-up etc.

lol good on the cheek piece only ones i've seen having been going for 40 odd quid which prevoke the reaction 'pfffft fruitcage that'

Cheers

Mig

Yeah ive read the SA80 man site before, and thats the link ive been circulating. Phils a great guy but whenever i asked he was still waiting for the government to decide which parts he could still sell :(

Most of the parts there are fairly priced. Its little things like the pistol grip being £60 odd, LSW forend being £55 ish and the LSW bipod is also goldust that annoy me. Thats because theyre rare, not because he bumps the price up.

Good luck mate.

one thing to add to your list

flash hider

it is plastic and mine broke  :flamed:  i want to know if there are any replacemant metal ones, like the M4 or FAMAS, if they look the same

WGC sell a G36 barrel which looks pretty similar to an SA80 one. Not identical but near enough and it doesn't have all the steps in it that an M16/M4 barrel does.

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...558c8c1af3fd025

WGC sell a G36 barrel which looks pretty similar to an SA80 one. Not identical but near enough and it doesn't have all the steps in it that an M16/M4 barrel does.

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...558c8c1af3fd025

it has got 6 holes, the SA80 has 5....

also i only need the flash hider not the whole outer barrel.... unless i want to be doing serious upgrades that i am not capable of. i am not a noob you know.... i refuse to do anything that when combined with my lack of technicalness will destroy my gun

it has got 6 holes, the SA80 has 5....

also i only need the flash hider not the whole outer barrel.

Okay...

And how were you proposing to attach the threaded metal flash hider to the plastic, non-threaded, outer barrel?

And I know it isn't identical. I just said it's similar and looks a bit better than an Armalite barrel.

mig_eater: Sounds nice, unfortunately I don't have the time to make a receiver from scratch :(

Lance Jackass: Yeah he seems quite good, and he's a lot cheaper than ebay. Cheers for the warning by the way, however i am making sure everything I'm buying is legal.

Hissing Sid: The outer barrel looks perfect cheers for the link.

The cocking handle is now finsihed (looks a lot better than the piece of plastic rubbish) and I've started writing the How-To guide which will be put on this thread as a PDF format

The main hassle with fitting real-steel parts is you've got the whole issue of "reactivation".

As a rule, anything with a serial number will be a no-no cos it'll have a proof-house deactivation stamp on it (probably) and bunging it in an airsoft gun might, to a particularly anal copper, constitute reactivation.

Beyond that, it'd be hard to prove any un-numbered item ever came from a real-steel gun.

I suppose there might be other issues, such as if supplying a part might assist somebody with reactivating a gun; if somebody sold a working SA80 bolt, for example, it might be fitted into a de-act to help reactivate it- but, for airsoft use, sticking to anything without a serial number should see you right.

I'm still considering buying one of those LAWs off X Project. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Guide may be slightly delayed due to a family member falling ill and being taken into hospital (just spent 10 hours waiting in a ward to see a doctor! and a £6 parking fee to pay as well) I will try to find time to finish the pdf in between hospital visits and work.

• 10 months later...
Look forward to it mate. I might attempt this myself if i take the plunge and get an academy. Im looking at using A1 real steel mags too with STAR midcap innards.

Hope the family members okay mate.

...and two years pass with no updates...

Any updates? I'm putting together a Bit of Brit Kit for a new impression, and my SA80 options at this point are:

HFC Springer - good for photo-ops only, use some other gun on the field...

Academy L85 - Purportedly at least as decent as a FAMAS and decently upgradeable, which is good, because 165 FPS is a bit low to be competitive in the US...particularly when UTG is putting out 260 FPS guns for less money.

Star L85 - but I really don't want a second Mortgage on my house...

A completed guide to cosmetic upgrades would be VERY welcome...

Only 1 year.

The PDF was scrapped as it seemed rather unimportant after the final diagnosis was cancer of the liver, which was too far spread to do anything to. He spent 2 months in hospital and died three days after he got out sometime late August.

Some advice:

Don't get the Academy it isn't worth it, either save up for the Star or wait for the G&G.

Only 1 year.

The PDF was scrapped as it seemed rather unimportant after the final diagnosis was cancer of the liver, which was too far spread to do anything to. He spent 2 months in hospital and died three days after he got out sometime late August.

Some advice:

Don't get the Academy it isn't worth it, either save up for the Star or wait for the G&G.

oooh, ouch.

You're quite right, tremendously unimportant.

*slinks off back to the dark part of the forum*

or, of corse, you could get an academy SA80 like me. Use it for CQB for 8 months, and get it upgraded, and use it for another 4 months(thats where it is now, i intend to use it for a few years yet).

It just needs an anti reversal latch, and a decent scope

I've got an academy l85a1, and to be honest its a great gun after some internal upgrades. I also added a real-steel handguard and cheekpad, an army code l85 dovetail rail, a hfc springer sa80 metal outer barrel and flashhider (one piece) plus a metal body, which I bought off a member of the forum (iBAWLS)

Also added some iron sights (special thanks to snorkelman), plus fixed the problem with the anti-reversal latch, which is something I only learned about recently. It needed to be filed down a little, so that it engages with the bevel gear properly, and avoids misfires. (ED-SKaR - I can do this on your l85 as well if you want for free ;) )

I finally re-painted the academy plastic furniture (pistol grip, hold open catch, dust-cover and butt pad) with some krylon OD.

heres a pic -

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

Some advice:

######!

After 2 week work and some help of my brother (I'm not familiar with the gearboxes) - a've upgraded Academy L85 up to 96 M/S with a fire range aproximatly at 48-55 meters.

All upgrade cost me near 25$ for used parts.

Archived