Sterling MKIV (LP) AEG

Ledpocket

For the past couple weeks I've been working on a sterling aeg (not a sten. please do not call it a sten ;) ) and I'm close enough to being done that it's time to show off.

The base gun is a G3 SAS (because I have 2) and I know an AK might have been better to replicate the sterling grip and receiver, but I don't own an AK, let alone 2 to provide a sacrificial mech.

The bits yet to complete are the sights, a catch to lock the stock in the extended position, a metal rear endcap (prototype is still plastic), and a metal magwell (again a plastic prototype). Need a blast finish so the paint sticks, and a paintjob.

I used a trimmed down g3 hopup, and have rotated the barrel 90 degrees. Still need to put an access hole in the metal housing to hold the bucking and a spring/setscrew to adjust the hop.

2 mini 8.4v batteries will fit in the back, and possibly a large 7.2v battery, or maybe a custom. I'm not sure which way I'll go with that.

This gun is limited to low/midcaps (MP5 mags) as I don't think hicaps will feed reliably tipped on their side.

On to the pics :)

20050725sterling0363pf.jpg

20050725sterling0327px.jpg

20050725sterling0314ud.jpg

20050725sterling0283tp.jpg

20050725sterling0144ij.jpg

20050725sterling0075nw.jpg

I'll update with more pics as I get more done.

Well, praise, flame, drool or whatever...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks awesome, good work!

my only concern si that it might be a tiny bit too short or fat. i dunno, just looks slightly squat to me. keep it up though, will be a nice unique gun

also, how are you sorting out the hopup? i assume the actual hop is still appled vertically and it just feeds from the side?

It is short and also fat. The main tube is 2" diameter aluminum, and I believe the real deal is closer to 1.5" or 1.25" diameter. I made a concession to material I had, and fitting more of the mech inside the tube than to realism.

As for the shortness, the main tube is 20" long. Not sure how long a real sterling is. Again, I had a 20" tube. Also, being based around a G3 SAS, I left the barrel the stock length. I think it's close, but the bulk of the receiver makes it look a little off.

The hopup is at the top which required a new slot in hopup chamber and new slots on the barrel to orient it properly. So you are correct, it just feeds from the side and hop is vertical.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thats orgasmic mate! Looks much more authentic than the gbb one too.

Hopefully with the paint on and sights and such people won't notice the big tube and shortness ;) I'm hoping to acheive 80%-90% "realism factor"

Here are a couple pics to compare to:

62x0sterlingb8hn.jpg

and a "para" version

sterlingmk7para2wi.jpg

so I guess the length of the gun could be considered "custom" but not out of the realm of "realistic" as I am sure there has been some enterprising gunsmith who stubbed up a sterling...

Lol. Can you make me a sten ledpocket?

Ofcourse, i would give you all the parts, and money for the machining, and labor work.

How much would a little project like this cost?

Oh, BTW, its AWESOME! Hopefully i get to see some games with you using it.

And hopefully i get to actually see you. I never got to see you at any of the games yet.

Lol. Can you make me a sten ledpocket?

You are either joking, or you need a severe bitchslap :)

But if you really want a "sten" and not a sterling then maybe. I've got 5 projects or so going so it might not be for a while. I'll be at the batchall in august, and we can talk then...if not sooner.

Thats amazing dude, nice work.

Just a suggestion but if two 8.4v minis fit, its a good bet that a 9.6v 1500mah brick battery will too :)

caz, you're probably right. All my packs are either mini's, sticks or the std config large types. I do have a few loose sub-c cells laying around. I'll have to play around and see if I can fit 8 of them in there. The SAS loves 9.6v :)

My original thought was to have 2 8.4v mini's on a switch so when one went dead, I could switch over without having to "swap"

I sandblasted and painted most of the parts today, so I'll have some fresh pics up in the morning...

edit: here's the hopup:

20050725hop23iz.jpg

20050725hop18ev.jpg

Ok, I got an awesome idea you could do with it, it would convert it from a sterling to a stormtrooper blaster (which is based on the sterling). It's pretty simple, first convert it (there are guides on the internet), install a tokyo marui tracer unit, install a system that plays off a laser sound each time you press the trigger (those are often found on 10 dollar toy guns) and voila, you got a star wars blaster that shoots laser.

I just had that idea a couple days ago, then I found that you had made a sterling, up to you if you wanna take my idea.

Stormtrooper_Blaster.JPG

That's how they look.

So one of my buddies gave me some real steel dimensons:

Length with stock folded: 481mm/about 19"

Length with stock extended: 686mm/ 27"

Mine is 20.5" / 520mm folded and 28.5" / 724mm extended.

So I have about 1.5" extra length on my receiver tube.

I'm guessing it looks short because the tube is larger in diameter, the g3 receiver is bigger/bulkier then the sterling's, and maybe it's a little too far forward on the receiver.

Oh well. I'm still pretty happy with the results so far :)

Led...

I still want to marry you...not that I'm gay or anything like that! :unsure:;)

Seriously...you should start your own custom shop and it would serve as a mecca for some of us non-mechanically inclined airsofters. If you need a business investor...see me in about 3 years after this law school stuff...I'm already willing to put up my parents house as business capitol.

Led, you're not actually Macgyver are you? I think you're coming damn close to giving away your real identity! Anyway...keep up the outstanding work!

Hannibal

Hannibal, thanks for the praise.

Having worked on fire/security alarms for a few years gave me good electrical knowledge. After that spent about 10 years in a foundry, pattern shop, and machine shop. I worked my way around and learned all about working with aluminum by hand and with machinery.

I'm now a desk jockey at that very same machine shop :) A custom shop might be a fun hobby, but I'm not sure it would pay the bills (esp the way I spend money -ledpocket- = lead foot with a wallet)

Hopefully with the paint on and sights and such people won't notice the big tube and shortness ;)  I'm hoping to acheive 80%-90% "realism factor"

Here are a couple pics to compare to:

62x0sterlingb8hn.jpg

Hmm. I think George Lucas might have used that to make the Storm Trooper guns for Star Wars.

Looks Very much the same.

Sorry if you guys already talked about this...I didn't read through the whole thread.

~P

****EDIT****

HAHA! I was right.

Now I want one.

Do you make to order dude?

Thanks guys. I'm really diggin' it, too :)

I took a long lunch and painted/assembled things I have done so far. Still needs some sights, a metal rear cap, and a doohickey to lock the stock in the extended position.

It will all get a coat of touch-up and a bit of body filler here and there at the end, so don't mind the shiney spots.

20050729sterling20032lm.jpg

20050729sterling20045ku.jpg

20050729sterling20064ft.jpg

20050729sterling20073ja.jpg

20050729sterling20081qg.jpg

20050729sterling20112pb.jpg

20050729sterling20123cq.jpg

20050729sterling20137fd.jpg

Latest update. Rear sights, redesigned stock attachment, and temporary plastic rear cap. It will probably be a while for a metal rear cap as I can't find a good piece of aluminum laying around, and it's about $25 for a 12" long piece of 2.125" diameter stock. Next time I need some more raw materials...

Left to do, front sight and some sling attachments.

20050801sterling0019tu.jpg

20050801sterling0036ei.jpg

20050801sterling0050pe.jpg

As for making more of this, at this time I have no plans to make any more. But I suppose it's all a matter of money (and time).

What do you think it's worth? (considering a sacrificial g3/parts would need to be provided to me)

Sell the designs to STAR and get them to make a kit for a G3 and G36 series....

You could make a lot of money....sell the idea, but say you want to have like 15% of the profits...and you could be up to your nipples in pennies....

or money in general..

~P

Archived