Sterling MKIV (LP) AEG

Ledpocket

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw- It would be a little work, but if there is enough interest I can toss up some dimensioned drawings of the parts. Some things were worked out "on the fly" but I have the main tube, the magwell, the front cap, hopup/feed bulkhead, and the rear bulkhead draw pretty close to how they we made.

stock, sights, rear cap, stock attachment block are not drawn.

Very super happy cool. Sorry- been on engrish.com a lot lately. Excellent work- I did a stem mk5, and will now be starting on a stirling using a TM m4 gearbox, barrel and hop. I will also use the low to mid cap mp5 mags, possibly with some steel added to give the cool scalloped back weld seams...

Now if only I could get an original stock on the cheap!

Beautiful work! Keep it up!

Robert

thanks.

I found this site with replica stuff:

http://www.sjsmodelsandprops.com/SterlingR...onversions.html

but it seems pricey and they never answered my emails about which parts were styrene and which were metal.

Those stocks seem to be rare on the internet, or I just don't have the proper search terms.

I'd love to bolt a real steel sterling stock on there :)

I converted the drawings I have to jpegs. Hopefully the guy who requested them can make an even better replica than I did :)

These drawings are in no way perfect. The magwell was adjusted after the feed area was drawn, and I never went back and changed the feed...so there needs to be a little more material taken off. Same with the assembled view. The magwell is bigger than shown and the cutout in the main tube needs to be bigger.

But these are at least a start.

post-3270-1123522266_thumb.jpg

post-3270-1123522275_thumb.jpg

post-3270-1123522284_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that does it. I have the templates, I have the gearbox, and now I will have the Stirling!

After seeing your work, I decided to get on it and will soon begin my 4 th airsoft custom project, the L34A1/2 stirling AEG.

I have steel tube and sheet, and "the guns of Dagenhem) (SP?) book and am nearly finished with the air-powered PIAT. So sometime around the middle of next month, I'll start the new project.

Thanks for the inspiration,

Robert

Well yeah, help would be great.

Wanna build it fer me? ;)

J/K~~ I actually would like some help on the hop system, once I get it going.

I plan on starting middle of next month; all things bieng equal. It is also the plan to make a couple for sale, if folks really want them, and are realistic on the price. This way I can actually continue with this new hobby!

Also working on a sellable sten mk 5 and 2 as the kits out there are way too much!

Again- Damn you and your cool stirling build. Curses! Curses I say!!! I would have been a happier man without having seen this thread... :P

I'm done now.

Bye.

Robert

One thing...

Isn't there any way you could heat up the trigger guard enough to alter the shape or even (though it's permanant) chop it off and replace it?

The shape of the HK trigger guard is a bit of a trademark and sticks out like a sore thumb IMO.

Other than that, very impressive.

One thing...

Isn't there any way you could heat up the trigger guard enough to alter the shape or even (though it's permanant) chop it off and replace it?

The shape of the HK trigger guard is a bit of a trademark and sticks out like a sore thumb IMO.

Other than that, very impressive.

I have plans to eventually do the round trigger guard. I just had more pressing enginnering feats at the time. Heating it up is a good idea, I'll probably try that first. I was just going to chop it off and fab up some banding or something.

I finally got the bar stock for the rear cap, so that should get done in the next week or so.

Other plans I have are just some minor finishing details. I think I'll paint on the ejection port and the slot for the cocking handle. Make up a static cocking handle and attach, and maybe slap on some of the other minor bits that appear on the real deal.

I have a skirmish this weekend and I'll be testing out the hopup and the general usability of the gun. I'm hoping for the best (works fine in my 20' basement shooting range)

edit: Just thought I'd mention that maybe an AK mech would have a more "sterling-like" appearance. Maybe even a tommy. I just used the g3 as I had an extra sitting around, and 2 extra plastic lowers (so chopping it didn't really affect my ability to put my g3sas back together again if I want).

I have made the preliminary measurements, and the TM M4 gearbox has the same "rake" to its handle as the stirling, and I will now see if you can shave off enough of the material to make it look like a stirling grip.

Just working on ideas, as there are too many other pressing things to work on now.

Still waiting to see the awesome but cap and all the finishing bits.

LP is my hero!

Robert

This is a bit off topic but...

Couldn't you just buy a deactivated sterling, or any gun you want to convert, and grind out all the internal parts? I've seen a couple you could get mail ordered in the UK for around £200. All have moving bolts and are strippable.

Thats a negative thats counts (in the UK as) Re-activating a deact, and is very illegal.

Yeah. Found out about the funky gas issues in a spectacular way...

Tried it for a sten idea. Gonna go Co2- much more stable. But now I gotta make it all handle up to 1600 psi at then supply, down to about 60-80 at the use end...

More work than I can even consider now!

Led- Has anyone told you the outside dim. of the reciever tube? Many of the statistics out there don't mention it at all. I have a ton of 1.5" OD tube (EMT) but am uncertain if it is "right".

Anyhow- take care all,

Robert

Yeah- I got the templates from the starwars blaster guys, and my friend is going to let me play with his stirling parts kit, so I'll have an actual answer tomorrow. Love it when there are real pieces to pattern from.

We'll see what he actually has tomorrow morning.

I agree, it looks like 1.5 is right, and all the other guns were 1.5"-the Patchett, the sten series, the Lanchester, etc. It happens that the tripods used for the Vickers guns used a tube that size- thats why the stens were the size they were. Turpin found a pile of parts and built the first sten using the tripod tubing.

Makes sense that they would all be about the same- I hope!

Take it easy,

Robert

LP-

I have played around with the mechbox from the tm M4 and found that I will need to move the handle a bit back, about 3/4" to fit the magazines properly. I need to get a "standard" mp5 mag to fiddle with, and will then know for sure.

The outside is indeed just about 1.5". The kit I have here has been smashed a bit, but looks to be right there. No more than a 1/16" difference in any case. Boy did they ever make a more complicated gun than the sten! So many little parts!!!

I am going to make the "adopted" version, with the reenforced stock and crackle finish. It is the Mark 4/L2A3 version accepted in 1955.

See ya,

Robert

Archived