Ledpocket

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! :)

Honestly, though, I'm unhappy with a few things:

-the ak receiver/grip isn't close enough to the real grip

-front sight seems too tall

-magwell is too far forward (concession to the ak mech)

-generally rushed through fabbing most of the parts...fit and finish are "hacked"

but, I'm already planning improvements for the next go. I'm thinking of a famas mech, or going with aep g18c or mp7 internals (so I can fab a proper looking pistol grip) and generally spending more time making each part so they aren't so rough looking.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lots of ideas rattling around my head for the next one.  It will probably be a while until I tackle it though.

MP7 guts won't fit how I'd like, so its back to ak v3 boxes...

another version, so quickly! nice to know somebody else can be antsy about airsoft mod and fab projects. gives me ideas for my spectre and kg9 future projects -- all i need is some metalworking tools and skills ;)

great job! have been following your construction pictorials, btw, and consider you one of my net gurus. again, great and cool jobs :o !

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Necropostacular, I know.

But I've recently gotten ahold of a plastic Ver3 GB, and want to make a sterling out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQQ1nZ36RU

I found this video to be quite helpful - especially in showing how the stock works.

Hi again fellas- long time no login... Another move~

I have an original stock, etc- gun parts kit. If you have any specific questions- drop me a note/pm and I can see about digging it out and taking pictures, simple measurements, etc.

I have made several tubes from electrical conduit, and have most of a repro stock made as well, out of scrap steel and bits bought at hardware stores. It is very simple conceptually; that being said, it really quite complex. Yeah- I know, that makes little sense, but is still true!

The issue with PVC is that it won't fit the box very well- even the thin stuff. Look into electrical conduit, it isn't too expensive, and at the place up here they cut to size- so look into it. Much cooler feel, too~

In any case- let me know if I can be of assistance!!

Robert (the semi-existant who needs to build another workshop once again.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know a fellow that bought a "Stirling" parts kit that got one of those- or possibly (Highly unlikely) a Patchett. His mags were normal Stirling, but did not fit- I'll have to link him, as it could be extra-super-cool.

Thanks!

Robert

Oh- and I have another workshop, several upgraded tools, etc- but am not making airsoft as I am inundated with knife, sword and polearm orders. And to be blunt- the folks that want this stuff have big money.

That bieng said- I'm fiddling with an M-1 Garand airsoft, a ppsh-41, Finnish KP-31, and still- the Stirlings and stens. Right now, I'm hoarding money due to the lack of "real" work out there, and focussing on high-profit things I've made.

The stirling is based on the real ones we have access to, so is looking really good- but the mechbox makes the magwell to trigger measurement a bit off.

Once I finally find my digital camers- I'll take some pics!

Robert

edit- spelling

• 1 year later...

Hey all, I'm back and began working on V4 of my never ending quest for an aeg sterling.

This time I'm basing it on a Ver7 thompson mech. Also I've got some 1.5" outside diameter thinwall aluminum tube. Since I just started it, I'll try to detail as much of the build as I can.

first gash-cut a big slot to insert the mech. ID of the tube is 1.4" which provides a pretty tight fit for the mech. Had to file a whisker off the front of the box to get it in.

imageqpg.jpg

Then the signature holes. Definitely makes the tube happier :)

imagewpy.jpg

imagebil.jpg

(got my moddin' slippers on for this one)

imagehdk.jpg

This whole thing will probably take a while.

One concession I'm already planning on is the placement of the aeg barrel. The v7 mech sits pretty high in the tube, and the inner barrel won't be centered where the real steel muzzle is central to the OD. I plan on making the front cap true to the real steel, but with the addition of 1 extra hole (as unobtrusive as possible) for the aeg barrel. Hopefully it doesn't end up looking too f'd up...

Looks fantastic, both original and newest version!

Just a suggestion, for another build i did here i used a Thompson mech and fitted a V3 cylinder head, just had to modify the tappet plate and front of the mechbox slightly for it to fit, but it would centralize it all for you?

I'm in the middle of making a sterling at the moment based on a thompson. I have made several stens and the issue has always been getting reliable feeding, so as much as possible I am using stock parts, if i can i will use the stock thompson hop and fabricate a swan neck feed tube to run the BB's from the side.

I have kept the Thompson body, cut it down and shaped the front to fit into the body tube, that way it gives me a fixing point for the gear box and perfect alignment for the hop and hopefully reliable feeding.

I am using steel tubing, rather than ally so I can weld the magwell, sight and other parts. Everything else is turned out of ally except the stock which is made of steel bar.

Only real issue is there are not enough hours in the day so this is a long term project rather than a finished quickly one.

Planning on using the stock thompson hop unit. Bane, your suggestion to try a v3 cylinder head is good. Hadn't thought of that. My original intent was to run the feed tube into the existing tommy feed, but that would but a 90 degree turn right below the chamber, and would probably lead to feed issues.

Putting the hop on the centerline, and eliminating that bend is the best case scenario...thanks for the suggestion.

Assembling the magwell is the next biggest worry. I'm considering trying to braze or solder it in place, with some tabs and slots to help strengthen it. Welding is probably the best bet, but I do not have the skill or tools to weld aluminum. I also have no real skill with sheetmetal, so I tend to cut things out of blocks, tubes, and other shapes, then bolt it together.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas :)

If you guys have any pictures, I'd love to see them (and hopefully get further inspiration)

I love the way that big orange dead-blow mallet is in every shot Led', that gearbox must be a really tight fit tongue.gif

Good to see it's offset by two vernier calipers though wink.gif

As far as feed tube mods go, as long as there are no 90° corners you should be OK.

When I made Hedganian's AUG 9mm mag adaptor, I had to fabricate part of the feed tube, which has quite a tight 'S' profile.

As long as the tube has a piece added/built-in to get rid of any sharp inner corners, it should feed OK.

Doc, you made me laugh...I can't even remember what I was using the deadblow for, but the mech isn't that tight.

These pics are from the first stirling I built...glock 26 & pvc pipe. Almost 6 years ago...my photography skills were better then, I think. (no new updates, so why not an old one?)

20040712projects0091gg.jpg

fssterlingside7wq.jpg

fssterlingshortmag9vq.jpg

Almost a roni kit, no?

to make the feed tube, I had planned on drilling out then turning down a piece of delrin to form a suitable piece of fine wall tube, filling it with sand so it doesn't collapse and kink then heating it up and bending it into the shape I want. Never done it with delrin before so don't know how it will perform, if it doesn't work some other stock plastic stock should.

I had looked at changing he piston head, I did it with an M14 box for a sten, but I really want to use the standard hop as is, rather than mess with it, experience tells me keep everything as stock as possible to eliminate issues.

Will try and take some pics of my mock up to sow you my original fabrication.

Archived