FireFox Extreme Throat Mic Set - Review

Pros: VERY clear sound quality - both talking and listening, easy to use, never get in the way, very useful push-to-talk button, weatherproof.

Cons: Microphone modules sometimes slip down when sweating.

I was aprehensive. I mean, how could a microphone that takes the sound from your throat, before your teeth and tongue had formed words, send your message clearly and concisely to your recipient(s)?

Well, I was wrong.

First Impressions

I got my Firefox Extreme throat mic from Airsoftmart at the Arnie-Geddon 2005 event (they were the official Airsoft retailer at the event), and I am glad I did. I wanted something that would not get in the way, be ever-ready for my barked commands, and simply do the job without me having to pander to their technical niggles. Well, the Firefox Extreme throat mic set did exactly that.

After opening up the shrink wrap (and being amazed by how small the product actually was), I connected it to my newly acquired Motorola Talkabout radio set (also procured by Airsoftmart), and started using it - it really was that simple.

Sound Quality

First thing I noticed was that incoming communications were crystal clear and VERY loud, thanks to the sound-tubes used by this model. Sound tubes are a different arrangement from the traditional ear-phones you find on most auxilliary headsets. On normal headsets, you wear the earphones (mini-speakers) in or next to your ear. Sound tubes are different. They use a special speaker which is actually located at the back of your neck and the sound reverberates down hollow rubber tubes until it reaches the earpieces that are plugged directly in to your ear. This made for excellent sound quality - far better than I am normally used to and a very pleasant surprise. The sound was as loud as I want it, and with the volume turned all the way up, more than enough for any noisey background I care to wander through.

Now the test that I was sure this device was going to fail - the transmission of my voice clearly to other radio users. I transmitted with gay abandon and was continually asking other marshals at the event if they could hear me ok. The response always came back "Yeah mate, loud and clear". This surprised me, so later at the event, I used a second radio set to listen to the quality that I was actually sending. It really was clear - VERY clear. I was quite frankly shocked. I figured that at best, this mic set would transmit a sort of garbled mumble, but it didn't. It was as clear as if I had been holding a good quality microphone in front of my mouth.

So, it is easy to set up out of the box, the sound received is great and the sound transmitted is great. What next?

Wearing the Throat Mic

The throat mic is basically an elasticated plastic semi-circle that wraps around your throat, and two transparent rubber tubes that lead to each ear. Together with the cable that runs to the radio and the Push-To-Talk button, this makes up the entire set.

For best results when transmitting your voice, the microphones must be aligned to your throat, NOT your lower neck. This is an error I made early on in the tests, as I just slung the microphone module around the base of my neck and realised my speech was not all that clear. After moving the microphones up towards my 'adam's-apple' (voice-box) the sound I was transmitting became crystal clear.

The throat section is actually VERY comfortable. I had reservations before I had tried this as I figured it would feel like a kitten trying to strangle me, but it was actually very comfortable and I wore it for several 12 hour sessions without it feeling uncomfortable in the slightest.

However, when under extreme physical exertion, sweat that accumulates on the neck and throat can cause the microphones to slip lower than they should be and the transmitted voice quality can suffer as a result. It is easy to feel when this has happened though and it only takes one hand and two seconds to re-adjust the mics back in to position.

This set also comes with an auxiliary weatherproof Push-To-Talk switch which has a velcro mount and strap. The strap is very small - too small to fit round your wrist and most rifle foregrips. However, it fits round collar-straps, pistol-grips, PMR radios, your belt and many other things you are likely to have on your person during a skirmish. Plus, as it is velcro, you can attach it to most other velcro surfaces such as tac-vests and holsters. Basically, you can put this switch wherever you want it for easy access. It has a long enough cable to go anywhere and isn't going to be phased by rain or mud, so the sky is the limit.

Conclusion

Wow! I am impressed. I got this set thinking it would never be more than a fun novelty, but how wrong I was. These function VERY well, are very comfortable, are reliable, very clear both for sending and receiving comms, and will accompany me on every future skirmish I attend.

If you take your radio communications seriously, I at least ask that you try the Firefox extreme as it surprised the hell out of me.

Future Tests

To thoroughly put this Firefox Extreme throat mic set though its paces, I intend to put it through the following tests in the near future.

Firstly, I will test this set while wearing an S-10 respirator. This will be a good test to see if the restricted airflow has any effect on the clarity of my transmitted voice.

Secondly, I will test this set while flying a helicopter. I am a helicopter pilot and there is a HUGE amount of background noise while piloting these beasts, so this will give the ultimate test of how background noise will affect the clarity of my voice while flying.

I will edit this review and add the results as I perform each test.

So far though, in Airsoft skirmish conditions, I give this set a resounding 9 out of 10. :)

Now I want one of this too. A few questions first. Does it need any batteries of its own? Can you plug it in any radio/walkie-talkie? Do you need to push the push-to-talk button on your radio when you talk? How low can you talk while the receiver can still hear you clearly over the radio (in Tears of the Sun, they were almost just mouthing the words :P)?

Edited by Shao14

couple more questions: can this work with a cellphone? :D Does the background noise affect the sender much (i.e. if the sender is talking in a noisy environment, can the receiver still hear clearly? I assume yes since the background noise is not from the sender's throad, and in fact, I expect it picks up less background noise than other mics)?

Now I want one of this too.  A few questions first.  Does it need any batteries of its own?  Can you plug it in any radio/walkie-talkie?  Do you need to push the push-to-talk button on your radio when you talk?  How low can you talk while the receiver can still hear you clearly over the radio (in Tears of the Sun, they were almost just mouthing the words :P)?

Runs off the power supplied by the PMR Radio Set.

Not all PMR Radios are compatible. I know for a fact that some Kenwood models and the BT Freeway FM sets are NOT compatible (normal Freeway radios are ok, just not the FM model apparently). Some radios will need an adapter to work, but Airsoftmart also supply these and will be able to help let you know what fits what radio.

You can push either PTT button in order to communicate - the one on the radio or the auxiliary one on the headset rig. Both behave the same.

I am not sure exactly how low you can talk. If the mics are correctly positioned over your throat then I would imagine very low. Of course whispering wouldn't work as your throat is making no noise at all ;)

couple more questions: can this work with a cellphone? :D  Does the background noise affect the sender much (i.e. if the sender is talking in a noisy environment, can the receiver still hear clearly?  I assume yes since the background noise is not from the sender's throad, and in fact, I expect it picks up less background noise than other mics)?

I suppose it could theoretically run on a cellphone, but you'd have to make a custom adapter for it. I seriously doubt there are any out there and if there are, they are likely to be hard to find. If anyone can find links to cellphone adapters though, please post them here and prove me wrong :D

Not 100% sure about the background noise interfering with the mics though. I hope to take my set flying in the next couple of weeks though, so I will report back, as helicopters are Horrendously noisy environments.

Gotcha. Looking forward to your test results.

I haven't played much in the field, and haven't used radios, but a couple people on the team use radios. Maybe I'll get a set anyways, and mayby then I'll start using radios. :P Gosh, I think I'm turning into a geardo, noooo!

wow, this is exatly what im looking for (thats if soem one dont mind using the radio channel with me) do you think it's worth getting the less expensive single ear-plug set? i mean the radio wont give you 2 channel sound. less wire = less tangle up on the field. so you think the single channel would be more handy?

Both of them are single wire, the only difference is having the extra earpiece. On the single mic ones one of the throat pods is just a black empty pod.

R22 just likes to be different :)

yea, thats what i meant, unless you want to enjoy stero mp3s through the ear-plugs is there any point getting the stero one oppose to the mono one

Can any of these throat-mics be used with mobile phones????

Oh for the love of Christmas - READ THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING (ONLY THREE POSTS UP FROM YOURS)!

wow, this is exatly what im looking for (thats if soem one dont mind using the radio channel with me) do you think it's worth getting the less expensive single ear-plug set? i mean the radio wont give you 2 channel sound. less wire = less tangle up on the field. so you think the single channel would be more handy?

There is only 1 channel sound-wise obviously, but as there are two earpieces, this set lends itself to use in high noise environments. The addition of a second ear-piece helps to get a clearer audio input no matter what sort of mayhem is going on around you. The twin microphone setup also makes for clearer sound pickup. ;)

Of course, you can always choose not to wear one of the earpieces if that's what you want (I did just that for parts of my testing period).

Yeah, I understand. You mean can you still hear what is going on around you with the ear pieces inserted?

Basically fully inserting the ear-plugs does cut out a lot of background noise, but you can always just not pushe them in too far to get almost perfect auditory pickup from your surroundings. Alternatively of course, you can just wear one of the ear pieces and insert the other one when communication over the radio is of paramount importance to listening to the ambient noise around you. ;)