I said I'd give my L85 a bit of distressing, and so I have. Some metallic silver drybrushed onto the mag and SUSAT, this special Humbrol black paint that goes like gun metal when you rub it with a cloth, and some diamond stone to roughen/scratch the olive a bit.

beat2.jpg

beat1.jpg

Edited by doc_newstead

Lol I fired a real one and there pants in real life. Got a mate in the army cadets and he took me for a weekend where I learnt to fire one, single shot only mind u.

You should be carful with that in public because there virtually the only rifle in thr uk that would be very very easily mistaken for real (because of their high use by british army)

Cheers,

Smash Joehanson

very good doc,could i suggest you put more on the bulge of the susat,make it a little more silver,most of thm tend to be,will be spot on then ;)

*edit* o yea like eddie said,more round the flash eliminator,inbetwen is usally where it is due to it being cleaned with scotch bright

Edited by aimpoint

Oi gimme my weapon back.

Very nice job Doc. Looks good.

The only thing I could suggest is a bit of wear added on and around the flash eliminator (it always ends up near enough silver) and a few scratches on the barrel.

The only thing that lets it down now are the cocking handle and trigger, but theres not a lot you can do about that really.

Good job mate.

Lol I fired a real one and there pants in real life. Got a mate in the army cadets and he took me for a weekend where I learnt to fire one, single shot only mind u.

You should be carful with that in public because there virtually the only rifle in thr uk that would be very very easily mistaken for real (because of their high use by british army)

Cheers,

Smash Joehanson

you should be careful with any gun in public, you shouldnt even have any gun in public ;) . And something like an m16 or and uzi would be more recognizable, because of their involvement with hollywood etc. IMO

not many people i know would recognise the sa80/l85 as the british armys issue rifle.

and on-topic, great gun doc, looks very realistic. The only thing i could say to make it more realistic is to do some on the barrel as said, and take some more off on top of the susat.

Edited by Guest

Yup I agree, barrel and a little more on the SUSAT and you'll have yourself a very real lookin' rifle sir! ;)

I'd like to get my hands on one myself, stupid ban. There was me thinking I'd have years to complete my list :P Anyway, I'm getting an M4 first.

Also, not sure if it's just the pics nd I know you've done some work on it, but perhaps the foregrip needs a little, and I only mean a little, more breaking in?

Good job, doc.

Edited by Mouse

Yep, I couldn't find any grit paper rough enough to give the barrel a scraping (it's a metal barrel anyway), so I'll do that tonight. I didn't want to add too much silver to the SUSAT, partly because I didn't want to cock it up, and partly because my gf said "Don't overdo it, it looks fine as it is" :P

I'll give the barrel and bit of wear tonight.

Found some nice glass paper :P

barrel.jpg

'tis the HFC springer. I don't skirmish with the thing, but half the fun of airsoft is owning a gun you couldn't normally get near.

As for the cocking handle... that one unscrews really easily. If I could get a decent enough picture of the proper one, I could probably whittle one up.

Edited by doc_newstead
Found some nice glass paper :P

barrel.jpg

'tis the HFC springer. I don't skirmish with the thing, but half the fun of airsoft is owning a gun you couldn't normally get near.

As for the cocking handle... that one unscrews really easily. If I could get a decent enough picture of the proper one, I could probably whittle one up.

i've got one of those*, the bolt snapped off :( the susat on it really does suck, its just a tube with glass in it with a painted arrowy thing, it looks very cool :) .

*i think, does it have a metal barrel, metal trigger guard, metal safety, fixed plastic fire selector?

edit: yours looks uber cool :)

Edited by Guest

The areas WITHIN the birdcage at each end need to reflect regular cleaning, and the Gas Cylinder Plug should be bare metal (silver), but aside from that (and the frankly poor job the manufacturer did in replicating the cocking hangle of the A1, so not your fault, lol) nice job. Well done. Now, go hang it on the wall ;)

Sorry to be a pain Redcap, but could you dab a few circles on my pics in MSPaint (or whatever's your poison) to show me what you mean and where? Or perhaps colour in red areas that should be silver etc. Not seen many of these up close and personal, and usually when I did I'd go "Ooh!" and not pay attention :D Or I stepped away from the vehicle...

Edited by doc_newstead
Sorry to be a pain Redcap, but could you dab a few circles on my pics in MSPaint (or whatever's your poison) to show me what you mean and where? Or perhaps colour in red areas that should be silver etc. Not seen many of these up close and personal, and usually when I did I'd go "Ooh!" and not pay attention :D Or I stepped away from the vehicle...

ok the gas plug(red arrow)needs to be all silver and inside the bird cage (red circle in the birdcage :rolleyes: ) needs to be silver aswell ;)

another thing i thought of that we do to ours is mark "butt numbers" on the handgard useing perminent marker pens

hope this helps doc :)

post-340-1122510021_thumb.jpg

Edited by aimpoint
It still looks ugly.

Yup. But I don't know if the insurgents in Basra really gave much thought to how pretty it was as they ran away from the people toting them 2 years ago, and to this day, in case your memory has gone ;)

They didn't run away from 6 Military Policemen, who they damn near dismembered when they murdered them, mate. Do try to remember those we have lost whan you talk about bloody Basrah. I still have mates over there.

Anyhow, here's a slightly clearer image than the one Aimpoint just provided (nice try, but the bircage highlight wasn't too clear, IMHO, old boy ;)), as requested, Doc.

post-834-1122535141_thumb.jpg

They didn't run away from 6 Military Policemen, who they damn near dismembered when they murdered them, mate. Do try to remember those we have lost whan you talk about bloody Basrah. I still have mates over there.

Aye, sorry about that, went a little 'milphotos.net' there. Didn't help I was drunk :beer: