A Noob Must Read

Frost92

Ok, let me start of by saying that this is going to be a long post. I will cover different classes of airsoft warriors, weapons each class uses, gear each uses, and the tactics than can be utilized by each.

We will have Sniper, Support Gunner, Assault, Spec Ops, and Long Range Rifleman. Any other classes that need added just PM me or post and I will do the research for the class.

Sniper

General- To be honest, I don't know much about snipers, but I will give you what I do. You can always tell me more later. First off, anybody that wants to be a sniper, HAS to be patient. From what I understand you can't expect to be the team hero or have the top score. Usually it is waiting until your squad calls you in for support. Anybody that wants to be a sniper also has to be a crackshot. Lastly, KNOW that you will have to spend a lot of money.

Weapons- The Maruzen APS Series, Marui VSR Series, and the CA M24 Series. Then you can step up and get the more expensive Ashai or some other 1337 brand sniper that costs upwards of $1000. I say go with the CA M24. Many say it's good. Whatever you do, do not buy the horrible Super 9 or any of it's variants.

Tactics- Patience, Patience, oh, did I mention Patience? That and good shooting. You also have to stay concealed, because a sniper isn't made by his rifle, it's the tactics that save his life. You guys will have to help me with more, as I do not know many.

Gear- A ghille, preferably homemade for better effect and pride. BDU's, boots, those kind of things. You will want to pack light in order move faster and be more efficient.

Support Gunner

General- The support gunner is often considered the most manly of the team, and I second that, I mean, look at the guns! All gunners do is provide cover fire and suppressing fire while assault moves in. This may sound ghey, but it is not. Without these members, enemies would start pop shooting randomly at you while you were moving.

Weapons- Ok, you should have a TOP M60 or M249m, or you best have a preorder on the CA one. Those are true Support Weapons,(From Now On Called SP,) not an Mp5k with a box mag. Another, often cooler alternative is the RPK kit, and that is pricey.

Tactics- Spray and Pray, thats all I got to say. Concentrate on where the enemy is and fire. Don't be afraid to hold down the trigger, SP's are meant for that. Once the enemy's heads are down, let your team know so they can move in. Another thing, cover the whole area where the enemy is, otherwise you are ******.

Gear- Well, a sling and a bipod come to mind immediatly. And an extra battery, if you don't need it, you weren't doing you job. Also, bring BB's. An extra box mag would be nice. If your SP takes M16 mags, bring a lot in a backpack or a buttpack.

Assault

General- Well, assault. What is there to say other than these people make up the main element of most teams. It is an easy roll to play, but if you are good, you are usually respected.

Weapons- We all know. I plan to use an M4 when I get one in a month. You can use Retractable stock Armalites, P90's, Mp5's. Anything medium to small really.

Tactics- You can use a tactical vest with this loadout. Extra mags are a more needed thing more often than not. Whatever you do with this roll, do it fast, quick, and quietly. You need to be able to move around with all your stuff, remember that.

Gear- You might try a Blackhawk tactical vest with extra mags in it. You will need strong but durable pair of boots. Maybe some headwear because your encounters are usually ones of the close kind.

Spec Ops

General- Some people ask how this is different from assault, and I will tell. You do assault quiet, you do spec ops, unknown. You will need to be able to be deep behind enemy lines, as that is usually what you end up doing.

Weapons- Possibly M4, maybe that smaller one, I forgot what it was called. A P90 works wonders for this job as it is small and quiet. An Mp5Sd or k will work good for this roll too. You want small weapons, as you move a lot.

Tactics- Heavily important for this roll. You have to be able to move unseen. A ghille might help this. Don't know. With your steps you have to be elaborate on how every movement that happens. Don't make a sound with your killings. Think of yourself as the close range sniper.

Gear- I highly recommend packing extremely light. Like BDU's, boots, 2 mags, water. Be able to control your shots as you are recon, the objective is not to engage the enemy unless told to by teammates, or engaged first. You will also want waterproof boots as you move in the dirtiest of areas. Frequently wet too.

Long Range Rifleman

There is a difference between these men and snipers, this is what. This class still has full auto, with a bit less range. Can often be seen as a snipers spotter, or alone.

Weapons- Most used weapon amongst these people are M14, M16 Series, AK series, (To Some Extent,) and the G3 long rifles.

Tactics- See sniper. If you see an enemy that you know is in your range, flip to full auto and loose off a burst or two.

Gear- Fairly heavy, water, mags, boots. Might want a bipod too.

That concludes my post, hope it gets pinned and helps the new players out there. If there is ANYTHING you want up there, post or PM me.

Support Gunner

General- The support gunner is often considered the most manly of the team, and I second that, I mean, look at the guns! All gunners do is provide cover fire and suppressing fire while assault moves in. This may sound ghey, but it is not. Without these members, enemies would start pop shooting randomly at you while you were moving.

Weapons- Ok, you should have a TOP M60 or M249m, or you best have a preorder on the CA one. Those are true Support Weapons,(From Now On Called SP,) not an Mp5k with a box mag. Another, often cooler alternative is the RPK kit, and that is pricey.

Tactics- Spray and Pray, thats all I got to say. Concentrate on where the enemy is and fire. Don't be afraid to hold down the trigger, SP's are meant for that. Once the enemy's heads are down, let your team know so they can move in. Another thing, cover the whole area where the enemy is, otherwise you are ******.

Gear- Well, a sling and a bipod come to mind immediatly. And an extra battery, if you don't need it, you weren't doing you job. Also, bring BB's. An extra box mag would be nice. If your SP takes M16 mags, bring a lot in a backpack or a buttpack.

How to get in my good books...Compliment the RPK! ^_^

A nice entry-level introduction to different classifications. The only thing I would hasten to ask you to add is that, because this is aimed at beginners, the 'tactics' section of the support gunner section needs a little reminder for those unaware that holding down the trigger for more than 2 or 3 seconds on any support weapon which utilises a gearbox design isn't a good plan. :)

Thanks for the guide Frost.

Rather than pinning this thread, I have added a direct link to it from the Newbie Guide already pinned there. Third link down titled "Roles in Airsoft and the kit you will need".

Pinning this thread may confuse readers as it is only applicable to players, and is more about Loadouts than Airsoft in general ;)

Well done though. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the guide Frost.

Rather than pinning this thread, I have added a direct link to it from the Newbie Guide already pinned there.  Third link down titled "Roles in Airsoft and the kit you will need".

Pinning this thread may confuse readers as it is only applicable to players, and is more about Loadouts than Airsoft in general ;)

Well done though.  Hope that helps.

Thanks R22! :D

I will make the change you suggested Marlowe.

Yeah it won't let me edit so...

Support Gunner

"If using a weapon with gearbox design, do not hold the trigger for more than 2-3 seconds as this will probably damage it." Says Marlowe.

hehehehe, not sure 2 or 3 seconds will damage it. I have held the trigger on my guns down for WELL over a minute at a time (anyone who saw the tracer demo at Arnie-Geddon 2005 will testify to this) and I've never had a problem. Now that I have a drum mag for my G36-Intimidator, I expect these long bursts to increase too ;)

For support gunners, I would recommend a thorough greasing of the gearbox, piston and cylinder to seriously prolong the life of components.

for the support you dont have to have a top unless you want to just look cool

the g36 with c mag is a great affordable alternative

EDIT: and dont get a m249 that uses m16 mags............that gets you no where and does no good..due to you could just use an m16 that would be easier managed and you could put a cmag on it

nice guide! That will really help some people!

Heh, so what happens to us guys who have M16A3's, but don't like to hang too far back? I guess I am Long Range Assault lol, or Assault Rifleman. I might make my M16 into a light support weapon later on, but thats waay later. I don't even have it yet lol (Tuesday, just got confirmation :D ).

But thanks for taking time to write that out! I'm sticking it in my favorites right now, it will help me when I get another gun :)

nice guide! That will really help some people!

Heh, so what happens to us guys who have M16A3's, but don't like to hang too far back? I guess I am Long Range Assault lol, or Assault Rifleman. I might make my M16 into a light support weapon later on, but thats waay later. I don't even have it yet lol (Tuesday, just got confirmation :D ).

But thanks for taking time to write that out! I'm sticking it in my favorites right now, it will help me when I get another gun :)

Yeah, I can do that too.

clmwrx, I don't know, looks are 80% of airsoft!

Ok R22...

Support Gunner

R22 says that he held the trigger for more than a minute with a Well gun, so it might be ok for others. Ask him not me. Also, he says, keep all of your internals greased to prolong their life.

Also some good kit for special oops people are those mag holders that go on your thigh these allow u to get rid of clumsy webbing and focus more on stealth. And u can use a socom as your main weapon if u have enough mags for it.

vsr 10 are also good snipers if u upgrade them

Ok R22...

Support Gunner

R22 says that he held the trigger for more than a minute with a Well gun, so it might be ok for others. Ask him not me. Also, he says, keep all of your internals greased to prolong their life.

hehehehe, almost :)

The gun in question was a customised TM G36c. The gears are stock though. ;)

Ok, here is additions and fixations a really helpful member of ASF gave me. Name is ardrummer292.

Support Gunner

Weapons- TOP guns blow, period. I'd recommend the second or later version of the CA249 or a modified "normal" AEG. Although not as cool as a true SAW, they get the job done at a reasonable price point.

Tactics: "Spray and pray" is far different than suppressive fire. Spray and pray is employed when you can't find your target, can't hit your target, or just plain suck. Suppressive fire is a 3-7 round burst followed by a one- or two-second break. This will keep your enemy's head down effectively. If you use "spray and pray" tactics, you might as well yell, "I can't find you, so I'm going to waste ammo and pinpoint my position for you. Just wait for me to reload so you can kill me."

Gear: sling? Yes. Bipod? Not required, but a good idea. Extra battery? You shouldn't need one (SAWs should already be using large batteries, duh), but they're not a bad idea. Remember that SAW gunners can and should be ammo conservative, too; they may use full-auto on their guns more often than your average rifleman, but they don't run around with their fingers depressing the trigger constantly. Extra ammo? Oh yes, definitely. Extra mags for your teammates? If their shooting habits demand it and your gun is compatible with their mags, then yes (to a limited extent).

Assault

Ardrummer's Extention: "Run and gun" - often used in speedball-style gameplay. Run straight-on at your opponents, completely ignoring cover. Spray them (inaccurately) as you run at them. This tactic rarely works. Generally used without any teammate support.

Aggressive charging - standard assault engagement tactic, both real life and airsoft. Using support from your SAW gunner, flank and overrun your opponent's position. The key to this is the Marine phrase, "Fire and move." Keep moving and keep advancing to terrify your enemy into retreat, surrender, or defeat. Be sure to use cover as you advance; a dead soldier is no good to anyone but the liberal media. Use teamwork to achieve complementary fire angles on your enemy's position, forcing him out of his station.

Spec Ops

General description: recon SOP - do not engage unless engaged. Disengage and retreat silently. Spec ops troops do not seek engagements; as a matter of fact, a successful mission is determined by the largest amount of information gathered and the smallest amount of enemy contact received.

Weapons: the M4 may even be a little big. The M733 is an excellent choice. MP5SDs, as long as their suppressors are modified to actually suppress, are an excellent choice. The P90 is another excellent choice. Don't forget the TM shotties; no trigger lag, very quiet, saw through underbrush well, no batteries to die or gas to run out of... nice and rugged.

Tactics: ghillie suits are a bad idea. Local foliage tucked into your vest/hat/BDUs/etc. is a good idea. Make yourself look like a big, lanky bush; it'll be very effective.

Gear: BDUs, CamelBak, boonie hat, 2 spare locaps, locap in the gun, good boots. That'll do ya. Your tactical description is quite a bit different here, and (in my opinion) far more reasonable. You don't want to have an extended engagement if you're lightly armed. Note: if you're going to go "Navy SEALing" in some creeks or swamps, choose your weapon accordingly.

Designated Marksmen

General description: these guys are also known as designated marksmen in the real military. They provide a sniper-esque long range fire element to a fire team. They are always located in fire teams, never alone.

Weapons: don't forget the M14! The PSG1, in some very long-range situations, is acceptable because it has the capability to perform double-taps. Otherwise, a designated marksman weapon (like the M16A2) wouldn't have any range advantage over other rifleman's weapons in open combat zones, like fields.

Tactics: the designated marksman is part of a fire team's support element. He tends to hang back with the SAW gunner and get rid of some threats further out. He also functions as a counter-sniper, if the need arises. Then again, all situations have different demands, so anything is possible.

Gear: about the same weight as a rifleman's loadout, if not a little heavier because of a larger scope and an optional bipod.

Those were the edit's ardrummer mentioned. I would like to give him a special thanks for correcting me on my views.

*SPAM alert*

I kept reading this thread and wonder what I am.. I think most of the time I am a support gunner if I use the G36C. But if I use the mp5, I mostly don't have a clue what I am doing and just rush, would that be assault?

Nice post btw.

You forgot:

The Player.

The Player doesn’t care much about having any guchi kit; rather everything he has is subjected to constant testing and phasing out of anything that doesn’t cut the mustard in battle. Weapons include MP5's and M4's fully kitted out and always with some sort of red dot sight/scope as well as at least one pistol.

Tactically, The Player is not a role player and very aware that he is only in a game and consequently he will often use this to his advantage. For example he will often charge to his death as long as he gets that sniper who has been taking out the team all day as he considers regens to be all part of the game. He moves fast and low and loves fire and cover manoeuvres. He will often be found shouting something along these lines:

"Why are we not shooting!?"

"Get through that door!"

"MOVE!"

...and other time honoured witticisms.

The Player does not care a jolt about pain and will take full auto to the face without crying or getting upset as he has little to no fear of conflict at any range.

Generally, The Player is a social animal and a full on team player but he absolutely hates cheats and has little mercy for newbies who he slaughters in great numbers. The Player doesn’t hesitate to go to pistols and often will two gun them if he needs to.

If The Player was a movie character he would be Sergeant Barnes from Platoon

Sgt. Barnes: You all take a good look at this lump of *beep*, remember what it looks like. You *fruitcage* up in a firefight and I goddamned guarantee you a trip out of the bush - in a body bag! Out here, poopies, you keep the *beep* wired tight at all times. And that goes for you, *beep*-for-brains.

884341080246300.jpg

A hard playing, *albatross* kicker, who doesn’t have fear. My kind of guy and I'm honoured to know a few and count them as friends.

Basho

For those willing to fit the Spec-Ops/Scout role, here is what I plan on using.

CA M15a4 Carbine with Retractable Stock, with 4xWarhead Mid Caps and 2x CA High Caps (kept full until the SHTF [shat hits the fan] or the Mids run out and with Guarder Aimpoint and irons removed.

HSGI Sniper Waist Pack

CamelBak Thermobak 2L in foliage green

OD Green BDUs

I'd also reccommend practing draging your self across the ground using just your arms while holding your weapon.

Special Missions:

Destroy the tank(or what ever), SF should have the objective weapon needed to destroy the tank, bunker, or what not. If a preference to what it is can be made, I'd suggest building a slim air powered cannon.

a dead soldier is no good to anyone but the liberal media.

So true.

Having an m15a4 rifle, I guess that makes me a designated marksman. I like the assault and spec ops role as well. Maybe I should get a secondary m4 length barrel set.

For those willing to fit the Spec-Ops/Scout role, here is what I plan on using.

CA M15a4 Carbine with Retractable Stock, with 4xWarhead Mid Caps and 2x CA High Caps (kept full until the SHTF [shat hits the fan] or the Mids run out and with Guarder Aimpoint and irons removed.

HSGI Sniper Waist Pack

CamelBak Thermobak 2L in foliage green

OD Green BDUs

I'd also reccommend practing draging your self across the ground using just your arms while holding your weapon.

Special Missions:

Destroy the tank(or what ever), SF should have the objective weapon needed to destroy the tank, bunker, or what not. If a preference to what it is can be made, I'd suggest building a slim air powered cannon.

Might want to lose the high caps. Too noisy. With Spec Ops, I don't think the sh*t should ever hit the fan.

Archived