THE BEST NEWBIE AEG

HaVoC

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, the infamous barrel-wobble problem with the M16/M4 range comes to mind...but does it actually exist, and is it easily fixed or not? Some say yes, some say no, I'd say avoid the Armalites as a first gun and get something different...

True, the infamous barrel-wobble problem with the M16/M4 range comes to mind...but does it actually exist, and is it easily fixed or not? Some say yes, some say no, I'd say avoid the Armalites as a first gun and get something different...

It DID exist on my old M4 and it was easily solved, I can't say exactly how (I was still a completely stupid noob at the time and got the bloke who sold me it to do it).

Really though as HaVoC said at the start of the topic, they are all pretty much the same. If you get an armalite though I wouldn't recommend the 1000 round drum mag for two reasons.

a, It looks like you have attached a christmas pudding to your gun.

b, It rattles enough to wake the dead, more so than the 5000 round box mags that are available (for the G36C, I heard they are available for M-16 variants also) and way more so than a normal TM hi-cap.

Also, the G36's selector's tend to snap off just like the MP5.  :(

Eh?

I've never heard of a selector switch snapping off on either the G36 or the MP5. The G36 ones had a tendancy to become lose and fall off, but never snap. The MP5 ones shouldn't even do that as they have a different mechanism to the G36 switches and run right through the gearbox.

On another note, can anyone tell me why the FAMAS should be added to the list? What makes it so reliable (if it even is)? Why do so many skirmish sites use them? Why do so many newbies love them? Has anyone else seen the mag-catch springs just go for no reason? Please give me some answers as I'm quite frankly baffled as to why people love 'em :blink:

Me too. They seem able to take a right battering and keep on ticking, and those wanting an LMG lik 'em for the high ROF, but when I hired one I dropped the mag 4 times in one day by accident, and my mate did the same - the mag release is just really badly placed in my opinion...

Last time I was at Airsoft Armoury I got chatting to one of the guys who runs the shop (Cannock) and he told me that they don't sell the FAMAS - they have one up in the shop listed as 'Not for sale' to show people what AEGs used to be like compared to newer models...

My reply would have to be mainly for 3 things.

1. Bullpup design (long barrel in a small gun - suitable for all type games)

2. Large 8.4v battery as standard (more shots per battery)

3. Cheapness (because of the eg560 motor being older. Still throws out a formidable ROF)

Our FA-MAS user has never had a problem with his mag catch.

The selector switch can catch on webbing and (for a right handed user) this pushes it off the full auto setting - sometimes into the blank between switch settings which means it just doesn't do anything.

Yes, they creak like anything - but that's predominantly the foregrip; yes, they're plasticy but who cares? So's the real steel.

But even with the most base NiCad you can fit a 2200mAh 8.4V battery, (our FA-MAS user has never had to change a battery, let alone change one under fire) It's light (and with the addition of a sling barely noticable - even for the weedy pigeon who uses ours) and with the battery and motor & mag either side of the pistol grip extremely well balanced, meaning that even a total noob can hold it level one handed while they run through the brush.

It seems reasonably quiet (although that may just be when compared to my MINIMI) it has a high rate of fire... and I've never had to take it apart.

AK-47.. of all my guns, this has been the most ready to go and accurate right out of the box.. Takes large batteries, simple open sights are easy to use, long barrel, overall length is short, solid as a rock and simple and cheap to do internal upgrades.. down side is no accessories, but it is analagous to the real-life AK and doesn't really need them - in the right hands it's a gun to grow with your skill... had to make a switch to the 250 round beta hicaps to cut down on the unwieldy mag hangups, but sill, I love this gun, even though I'm likely to try out one of the new ICS M4s before too long (ooohh all those cool add-ons)

I'm pretty amazed that people are discussing the FAMAS so much too, they feel like ######, though I've never actually played a day with one. If you like plastic get a G36C they're solid too and have great ergonimics.. though the mags don't fit in gear easily. G36 selector will fall off if you don't take care to keep it tight, but it's unlikely to break.

I've never heard of a selector switch snapping off on either the G36 or the MP5

Yeah, I dont have the best luck with selectors... My G36's snapped in half, and my M4's selector got so loose that it popped off and almost got lost.... Thank god for AK's.

You all talk a lot about MP5's, so wich manufacturer is the best for `newbies?

I'm falling for the ICS mp5sd5, as the marui is plastic and as then I won't have to upgrade for m100 when my teammates do.

And it's really cheap, too.

From what I've heard, CA is the wrong way to go unless it's a new version CA, right?

And TM is always "good" but not "excellent", right?

I would only recommend to buy weapons that uses 5.56 mags or 9mm as with anything else can be tricky to find a cheap vest.

Both the AK and P90 are good guns but their mags special looks sucks as there isn't much options when it comes to vests and such.

How awkward are the G36 mags? For instance, I've got a Web-Tex assault vest; will the mags fit? Looks like I should be able to fit clipped mags in the undivided mag pouches, but individual mags in the three-hole pouches...?

While on that subject, what about the USP Compact? Will it fit in a normal gun-with-taclight holster?

All this hype on the AK-47 is a bit flattering for a fellow AK owner but I didnt get the 47. I got the Beta Spetsnaz. I tried both the 47 and Spetsnz at a shop and I liked the somewhat more compact and tactical advantages. Also, when you are out in the bush, that high gloss wood finish wont be giving away your position (couple guys i play with have 47's and they stick out like a sore thumb) Sure, its not "classic" or frankly even that well known, its real counterpart is only a couple years old, but the gun has great potential for upgrades, can carry a large 9.6 (i have a 9.6 2000 mah) and uses little juice compared to soem guns, i went 2 days in a row about 7 hours a day on one battery. As far as accuracy and range out of the box, its is perfect for being a newb, but standard cheap 50-80 dollar upgrades make all the difference in the world, with an m120 spring and soem better systema bushings, the gun gets the extra kick it needs to be a force to be reckoned with. I personally dont own the 600 round hi-cap. Mine came standard with a 260 round hicap. I have 3 mid caps for G&P that hold 150 rounds, and only cost 20 USD a peice. I use a tact vest and will probably be getting an STTI socom, which is a cheap and seemingly good quality high power Non blow back.

Bottom line: AK series with the exception of the paratrooper (small battery) is solid. Much like its real couterpart, its not the best and brightest but its durable, highly upgradeble, and has a nice design. I strongly recomend it.

I dislike the Kalashnikov series, with the possible exception of the VSS Vintorez. Just don't like the look, hate the stock pitch, and really hate that long mag. Now, the lovely and fluffy AK5, on the other hand.... why won't someone make an airsoft version?

i think that undoubtably the best guns for a noob are the famas and mp5 solid stock.

firstly, there both practically invincible, especially the famas. i've done things to my famas that would would make an armalite break.

secondly, there cheap, www.combatsouth.co.uk who i highly recommend do both for £165 with a £40 gun bag.

thirdly, they take a large battery, noobs don't always want to have to buy three mini batteries that costs more than one big one and lasts less time, again go to www.combatsouth.co.uk, very nice 3000mah batteries and not too pricy right now.

fourthly, there both quite small and good for both urban and woodland.

Fifthly, there both competely ambidextrous.

sixthly, you wont look like another armalite clone.

rumor quashing

although the famas selector switch is often criticized might i point out that you don't need it to put it to safe, there is a second safety infront of the trigger.

the famas really isn't very back heavy when you have the battery in.

aye, the Mp5 and Famas are great starter guns. If only TM would update the Famas then it would be kind of newb AEG's....

Blackadder: Hopeless. If only I'd paid attention in nursery art-class instead of spending my entire time manufacturing papier-mache willies to frighten Sarah Wallis.

Blackadder is a great show..I thought I was the only one in this world who watches it.

I dislike the Kalashnikov series, with the possible exception of the VSS Vintorez. Just don't like the look, hate the stock pitch, and really hate that long mag. Now, the lovely and fluffy AK5, on the other hand.... why won't someone make an airsoft version?

gotta agree about the long mag, but the stock pitch is perfect, especially combined with the fact that the open iron sights are easy to use even with goggles on. For the newb - you want something you think is cool, but like the man said "form follows function" My solution to the mag problem - Beta 250rnd hicaps are nice and compact.

Archived