THE BEST NEWBIE AEG

HaVoC

The best gun for a newbie (and anyone else, for that matter) is definitley the TM FAMAS. Amazingly sturdy construction, really reliable. It has a huge barrel, the same as the G3 SG1, and that makes it extremely accurate. The rate of fire is absolutely insane. It's expensive, but the way i think about it, why spend money on a cheap gun if you're just gonna get a nice one later. The only problem with it is that upgrades are hard to come by (I'm trying to figure it out, see my forum in general discussion).

If you don't like the looks of the FAMAS, my recommendation is to go with any of the TM's. They're the best quality guns out there, and are worth every penny of their $250 price tag.

I have to disagree I'm afraid purely for only one reason; the furniture on it squeeks. Nothing worse than sneaking up on someone and your gun creaks like a xylophiliac banging a door. ;)

If you can get one that doesn't though then I'd agree that it would be the *second* best. Nothing can convince me that my TM P90TR is anything but reliable and rock solid. I've kicked it, landed on it, dropped it, been on 24 mil sim games in winter through farmland and rain/sleet at sub zero temperatures and in the high of summer and the only time it misfired was because of the foam in the silencer shreded. :blink::D

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't really comment on a noob gun cos I'm a noob myself(well sort of) but 1 thing i can say is stay clear of an mp7.

I thought this would be a good little gun for cqb/urban, it came with a battery and charger so it was a complete package.

Don't get me wrong its a cool little gun and I may well get another in the future but it doesn't compete with full size aegs and you constantly feel like your at a disadvantage. Mags are small so lots of reloading and battery's don't last that long either(although longer than you'd think).

I got my self an ak47 and was instantly happy with it. It felt more like a proper weapon and has a much better stock rof and fps. The hi caps are handy(although i just use 300s).Another plus point is that this weapon is capable of urban/cqb and woodland as I got the folding stock variant.

The most important thing though I reckon is to get a weapon which you find fun and enjoy using. Even though I know its utterly pointless I still cant resist firing my ak from the hip like a proper rebel. :P

We currently have a thread devoted to listing the Chinese TM clones, perhaps a decent thread on "What is the best newbie gun" would be a good thing to remake in light of these new models.

I know a TM G36 will last longer than a BE G36, we all know that, but it also provides a newbie with a nice easy way of accessing the sport. Perhaps a thread without all the fanboy nonsense or wild raving about future models and metal content would be a nice clear thing for somebody to read and understand.

I myself, pretty much know what I need to know when buying ICS, CA and TM guns, but when it comes to Chinese clones... I havn't been following them at all, I am clueless.

I have to go on tit bits from around the web.

I have also found that almost all reviews are often taken out of context, one person will compare the gun to their shop upgraded ICS M4 and others will review it after using a spring pistol for 7 years. In addition to this the reviews often concentrate on what I can only describe as "coolness". How hard it shoots, whether it is a rebrand, whether the cogs inside it are Classic Army or China Army etc.

If it is confusing enough for me, surely newbies to the sport won't have a hope?

Ultimately a new player will want a reliable platform for the lowest price possible, are guns like the CM.031 reliable enough? Are they outclassed by guns like the AGM M14... it has thin wiring I hear... but so what? Will this actually decrease the life-span of the gun?

When a reviewer adds "Of course it will only last half the time a TM version would" at the end of a review, I get a bit annoyed that they don't go onto to explain why.

Currently the thread relating to TM clones in this forum and this therad here: http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/index...0&topic=10854.0

Are the most coherent things on the web (very useful by the way, especially the suggested upgrades and pro/cons lists), and even then, they don're really specify what would be a good reliable gun for the price.

You catch my rather long drift?

Is TM really still the only choice for new players or is there a cheap gun reliable enough to suffice as a first gun WITHOUT replacing all the internals?

:pirate:

I recomend the CA Steyr, the TM M733 Commando ( M4), any TM MP5 SD6, A5, TM P90 TR

A lot of people will disagree with me when I say Classic Army guns are good. Classic Army guns have gotten a bad reputation from their earlier unreliable guns. The new CA guns are actually very reliable, but I just like the Steyr. The new CA guns feel very sturdy and shoot faster than TM guns out of the box. The CA guns are more expensive than TM, but are worth it. They come with better internals and will make the lifespan longer. The TM M733 or M4 are also good choices. I personally prefer the M733 because the shorter barrel will decrease barrel wobble and actually more accurate than the longer barrel. the M733 can be small enough for CQB and also have enough range for woodland combat. The P90 is better than most guns at CQB. It has a really nice feel and has a Triple Rail (TR) so attaching accessories is easy. Believe it or not the P90 can surpass a few bigger guns in woodland combat. The MP5 SD6 or A5 are also good choices. Although their slidable stocks don't look as nice as the normal stock, their are much more practical. The allow you to get your gun into a much smaller profile which is good for CQB. The MP5s are slightly better than the P90 at longer range, but the P90 is usually better at CQB. The moving stocks on the MP5s make them smaller than the P90 but the P90 is really accurate at a short range and its higher rate of fire than an MP5 is really consistent. So pretty much the guns at the top are ordered from better woodland with worse CQB to worse woodland and better CQB. Just pick the one that suits your needs better. I hope this helped someone.

• 4 weeks later...

The first AEG I ever got was the TM G36C, which was might I add the best thing that happened to me :D

However if I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has never been skirmishing before, as that stock is really fragile, I've already had to replace mine after dropping it.

I've never owned one, but after using it in a skirmish, I'd say that the TM P90 would be the best for first time skirmishers:it's small, light, comfortable to aim and hold, and not much really protrudes to get broken off.

I'm not so sure about the TM AK though, there is a lot to be broken off, despite how much metal there is. However with a lot of things-I'm not an expert on the TM AK, so for all I know it could be the perfect newbie AEG-who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my P90 for about 2 months now, being my first AEG. At first i found that the mag would miss bb's, and get stuck. However these problems i found sorted themselves out, the mags need a little bit of use, and then they are fine. (providing you fulling wind the mag up, and treat it with care)

The only real problem i've faced is the selector pin. When these guns are brand new the selector pin catches sometimes. I just went to my local know-it-all, who sorted it out, showed me how to correct the problem then happy days. After a while it wears in and you never get the problem again. :D

So i would say the: P90, MP5 series

Smithy

for a newbie, I would recommend the TM MP5-A4. It carries a large battery, so even idiots don't have to change batteries can still play. Also, it has navy style trigger group, so the shooter automatically knows what setting he's on.

It's also very light and can been easily upgraded internally and cosmetically when the player gets more experienced.

Sure - but it' gonna be more expensive than the options other people are listing.

The point of this thread is to find a gun that can be used in all situations, performs well, has high reliability and is relatively cheap.

CC

hmmm i'm sort of in a delima.

i'm selling my UTG Mp5 v2 for something a little better

i can get a sweet UTG Ak-47 setup from shortyusa.com which would include

the UTG

extra battery

10 star realcap mags

headwrap

3000 .25g BB's

or from RedWolf i could get

Tokyo Marui FA-MAS SV

with 8.4v 2000 mah battery&charger

and maybe a 300 round mag.

help?

just so you know, the utg ak shoots about 230fps. your much better off with a cyma ak, if you want a cheap one.

the general trend in this thread iv seen so far is.

if its a marui its a good starter gun.

• 1 month later...

But what about Echo-1 and JG? I think they are the best chinese clones out there, period. Their performance is far better than a Marui, if you don't care as much about reliability. And their reliability is actually quite good. Not quite as good as a Marui, but so what? It's half the price, with much better stock FPS and ROF.

Actually, the UTG AK shoots around 280 FPS. The Cyma one is slightly better, though. But the UTG comes with more accesories.

have you owned one?

cos i have, and i can tell you it DOES NOT shoot that hard.

it didnt even penetrate one side of a coke can.

and i would get the cyma one anyday, its soooo much better

But what about Echo-1 and JG? I think they are the best chinese clones out there, period. Their performance is far better than a Marui, if you don't care as much about reliability. And their reliability is actually quite good. Not quite as good as a Marui, but so what? It's half the price, with much better stock FPS and ROF.

Only a few problems with them: they're >328fps out of the box (although in some cases below it) which is too high for a lot of UK sites so you have to downgrade it before you can skirmish. And while the quality of materials is good they're badly put together in the factory end result being they really do need to be fully stripped and checked over as soon as you get it out of the box. Good guns, yes, good for newbies; hell no.

have you owned one?

cos i have, and i can tell you it DOES NOT shoot that hard.

it didnt even penetrate one side of a coke can.

and i would get the cyma one anyday, its soooo much better

Yeah, I have owned one. Even their MP5 shoots harder than that. Are you sure you got a UTG? They shoot at least 270 fps.

I think the best AEG for a newbie would have to be an LPEG with a plastic gearbox. Sure, they don't shoot hard, and they're not really skirmishable, but they're fun, cheap, and they work. I've never seen an LPEG with a plastic GB break down from normal use. (Just don't drop it :)

• 1 month later...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO to anything CA makes. I've found their QC to be pretty poor, although their G36 series is nice.

Personally, I like Mauri, although for n00bs you've got a couple of other options to consider. ICS Mp5 are pretty nice, but their hop-up adjust is external and can be bumped around if you're not carful.

FA-MAS, um...sorry, I wouldn't recomend that to a n00b. Despite a reasonabel ROF and cheap cost, the FA-MAS has little upgrade potential for someone really looking to get into Airsoft. As such, to me they are a No-No.

Clones...why do people waste their money on them. They are cheap, yes, but their internals and externals reflect it, and sooner or later (mostly sooner) they will die. I have had extremely bad luck with clones, never actually having one shoot out of the box before, and I've had four.

My advice: fine something that suits your style. If you're a big guy, get a big gun. Likewise for small people. But always get something you think you will like to play with. Its no use for me getting a PSG-1 because I'm six foot 6. I play CQB and thats not my style.

Here are a few things you might want to look into:

Good CQB guns:

P90 (Mauri)- i only dislike their Hi-caps, and the eye relief on the Red Dot is poor.

Mp5 (ICS)- I don't like their Hop, but overall they are solid.

M733 (Mauri/ICS/CA)

Mp7 (Mauri)- cheap and comes with battery and charger, decnt FPS

G36c (Mauri)- great guns, provided you have rails

Good Medium-Long Range guns:

M4A1 (Mauri)

AUG (Mauri)- CA ones have bad selector triggers

FA-MAS(Mauri)- lacks upgradeability

G36K(CA)- the longer version

G3 SG1(Mauri/CA)- best attribute of an AK without the ugly

AK- 47/74(Mauri/ICS)- ugly but looks are subjective

BAD BIGGENER GUNS:

Sig 55X series- no upgrades and expensive

PSG-1- Semi-auto only and expensive

400$+ guns- chances are you may not love the role you thought you want to play forever. Wait till you know what you want to do before you spend the bookoo bucks.

Uzi- no upgrades, low power

Clones- they suck. They dont work. They promise power but that pits too much stress on the shoddy internals.

That about raps it up boys and girls. I personally prefer bullpup weaponry, although I dont own any, and think the AUG is the greatest thing ever. Meh, its not good for begginers though; can be a little wierd for first time shooters.

-Floyd

Clones- they suck.  They dont work.  They promise power but that pits too much stress on the shoddy internals.

I applaud the effort that goes into making such a post - but some bits are just pieces of generalised bullshat. That being the most prominent.

Although clones aren't ideal starter guns, they DO NOT suck.

I'd go with *albatross*. I always thought you learn more about something if it brakes down and you need to repair it. Like buying an old car it brakes down you repair it it works better and you learn a bit about the mechanics of it.

Go with a clone the Boyi ones are quite good same as cyma and JG, the accessorys are a bit laughable, but you do get a good beginner aeg.

so wheres your proof that clones suck?

I use clones, in fact I don't own one 'proper' AEG and yet I still score plenty of kills against people using high end guns with plenty of money poured on them. I have also never had one break down on me, nor jam or anything out of the ordinary happen.

I seriously can't reccomend the JG G36 more to new players, it performs in all theatres of play and wont break the bank either.

Another thing I reccomend is to STFU, because your making the place smell with the substance comming out of your mouth.

Joe

I found Tokyo Marui's M14 far best rifle to start this lovely hobby. In my opinion it's best TM's AEG today. It's really accurate straight from the box and the velocity is a bit higher than other TM's AEGs.

I have owned two M14 in my life. First M14 was probably the earliest version in the market (pre-ordered from WGC). Only problem what I found from it, was that my hop-up broke up. Luckily only the hop-up systems's screws where loosen and with a bit thightening I got it work again. The second M14 was only couple of months old and I didn't find any problems from it. It was damn nice rifle, got like 20 drops with in one weekend with iron sight. :P I really have to get third M14 into my family. Maybe this time AGM's version.

+

Good velocity

Good accuracy

cons

Might be bit pricy for a start up rifle

Small battery box, only takes 8,4v large.

What gun is best for a newb depends on a great many things: budget, play style, preference for looks and local availability can all be issues. However, from my experience you can't go far wrong with a TM gun (other than the MP5s, if you want an MP5 get an ICS as they're at least as reliable and are better at everything else). I've had a TM G36c for four years and it's not stopped rolling yet (and in fact is just hitting its first real problems EVER- and even then it's mostly cosmetic and entirely my fault).

So as far as AEGs go, good newbie guns include

-TM FAMAS

-TM G36c

-ICS MP5

-TM M14

-TM P90

...and so on. But TMs typically cost about £200 for a new gun, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. So what options are there? Well, the new Chinese clones are actually surprisingly good. I bought my brother an AGM M14 for his 21st birthday, and it kicks out a .20 pellet at 320fps straight out of the box- which, with that loong barrel (almost as long as the extended barrel on my heavily-upgraded VSR!) makes it a more or less ideal woodland gun, even if it is a bit heavy and maybe a bit creaky. That gun cost me about £140, a saving of at least £60 over my G36, which I bought for £205 all that time ago. In fact, some of the clones are even better value- say what you like about CYMA, but their AK47 is almost as good as the TM and half the price! At £90 to £100 for a good all-round performer you can't really go too far wrong- even if it breaks in a year's time and costs you £50 in repairs it's still £50 cheaper than a new TM, and by that time you may have found another gun you like better anyway. Performance is close enough to the real thing as to be a non-issue, and since they're fairly accurate clones, a lot of the upgrades are compatible- which means you can fit out a cheap clone with all-new upgraded internals and have a great fully-upgraded gun at a heavily discounted overall price.

In short, if you have the spare money and like that reassurance, get a TM. If you don't mind so much and just want something you can get skirmishing with, you can't go far wrong with a clone- just make sure it's a decent one before you buy it (talk to your local site organiser for a start, they're usually pretty knowledgeable guys).

• 5 weeks later...

AK-47 Full stock Tokyo Marui.

Reason: extremely rugged, very reliable internals(as its TM), reasonable rate of fire, many conversion kits available, a nice 600 round highcap mag(for trigger happy noobs), nearly unbreakable, good range, if your cleaver you could adapt to CQB with it, theres loads of other reasons i just cant think...im goin to bed. PEACE OUT ARNIES.

Archived