Butter18c

On what basis do you workout?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. On what basis do you workout?

• Regularly
    • Most of the Time
    • Sometimes
    • Never

Just wondering. I've been working out on a regular basis from about the beginning of May, and I can definetely tell the difference. Exercise routine is 200 pushups in sets of 20 or 25, whatever I feel like. 100 situps, 50 cross situps, running 1.5 or 2 miles(will soon be upgrading). Whole bunch or stretching, stress positions, and other stuff you guys probably never heard of(Sungods, bodybuilders, etc..). Just making sure I'm in good shape before I join the military, of which I have plenty of time, about 3 years.

PS: This thread is not meant to hurt anyones feelings, just wondering what kind of excercising people do, so that I may be able to incorporate them into my routine

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wondering. I've been working out on a regular basis from about the beginning of May, and I can definetely tell the difference. Exercise routine is 200 pushups in sets of 20 or 25, whatever I feel like. 100 situps, 50 cross situps, running 1.5 or 2 miles(will soon be upgrading). Whole bunch or stretching, stress positions, and other stuff you guys probably never heard of(Sungods, bodybuilders, etc..). Just making sure I'm in good shape before I join the military, of which I have plenty of time, about 3 years.

PS: This thread is not meant to hurt anyones feelings, just wondering what kind of excercising people do, so that I may be able to incorporate them into my routine

I'm gonna do that exact thing. I want to train for the military too, only I have a lot longer than you, I'm 13. Yeah I try on a regular basis. I can kick anybody's *albatross* at my school and that helps.

Good luck with joining the military - the only suggestion I would make is aim to up your sets to 50s over time. Dips and pull-ups are also excellent exercises though you may already be doing them. IMHO you've got a job to beat the push-up, it's a very good all-over, upper-body exercise. :) Don't go mad and injure yourself, build-up to it gradually. Targets usually help to defeat the various plateaux you often find yourself in when you're training.

The US and UK armies do tend to have slightly different ethics when it comes to exercise, generally (and there are exception to this of course) the US lads tend to have more upper-body strength/mass than UK troops who tend to concentrate more on the cardio-vascular/running/tabbing side of things. That's not meant to be a dig at either country, it's just a generalisation and of course, both sides do largely the same exercises.

Mind you, if ultimately you want to join a particular US SF outfit which doesn't exist (cough, cough) then you'll definitely need to concentrate on your running. For me, running's the best exercise there is, with the possible exception of swimming :) I've no idea of you do want to join US SF, it was just reading Butter18c's post. Good luck to you too Butter18c if you go and do what you want to do full-time one day remember "Wave goodbye to the sun, your only friend..." ;)

Good luck lads

Cheers

F

It's a little hard for me to build that much muscle since my metabolism is so high, I way like 135 pounds, with I guarentee you, no fat. I need a bit more weight though so I can turn that into muscle. a nice 150 would be good.

EDIT: BTW, whats an Explorer?

Exploreres are Boy Scouts. They give kids a chance to look into law enforcement careers though.

On topic, I barely work out. Which is bad. I am going to start soon, though, since I'm going into the AF.

fairly similar rountine, usually do 4mile run (not having a dig, every circular route around here is exactly 4miles it's really weird). If i can't be bothered that day i'll go for a long walk instead.

I have access to a newly kitted out gym for free which is pretty cool, tends to be full of little 13yr old (again no offense) hardmen who want to take on a 6th former gets really boring when theres not even a challenge in it "come on mate what are you 4'6"? you can't even reach the pull up bars so how the fruitcage do you think your going to win?"

Cheers

Mig

It's a little hard for me to build that much muscle since my metabolism is so high, I way like 135 pounds, with I guarentee you, no fat. I need a bit more weight though so I can turn that into muscle. a nice 150 would be good.

EDIT: BTW, whats an Explorer?

I know your pain dude. My metabolism is faster than a speeding bullet. The key to gaining muscle is doing fewer heavier weight related reps and less cardio while upping you calorie/protein intake. Rest is essential for building muscle. Too many guys over train. Two decent workouts a week for two hours then resting for the rest of the week should help you build more muscle. Its not quantity, its quality that counts.

I don't have a routine but I dance a lot, does that count? Basically I just go to a club and dance really energetically all night. If I'm a good girl I also avoid going to Subway and putting on any energy I just burned up, damn you Subway for staying open till four in the morning!

Yeah I am 14/15 thinking of joining the army as an infantryman.

I have a short bike ride everyday.

2 hours of PE a week soon to be three

Also when at home i do situps and pressups in spaces between programs normally in groups of 40/60

Also i was thinking of starting a training program off the army website which will bring my fitness up to army entry standards

army training program, clicky

Also mig eater they must be some short 13yos cos i am 14 and 5'9"

cheers,

Pariah

PS:Also how fast do u reckon u can run 1 and a half miles

PS:Also how fast do u reckon u can run 1 and a half miles

If you're going for the military then a good (enemcumbered) standard to aim for (on anything but near-vertical ground) is a 6-7 minute mile. That's pretty fast - unless you're a natural racing snake - but even bigger body-types can train up to it. That's also a consistent mileage speed (not something you can sustain for 1-2 miles only!) :)

Don't go mad and overtrain though but do tailor your training to what you'll be asked to do. If you're going for the infantry then *once you've got the mileage under your belt* get a pack on your back and get used to trogging around with weight. Eventually, you'll be able to do bergen runs (which will make tabbing feel easier) but don't do bergen runs until you're already running several miles (without weight) comfortably..

If you give your body a point of reference (for example, get it used to carrying a pack for a long time and over hills) it's surprising the difference it can make. Get used to walking with boots on too but run in trainers. Are you in the cadets? That's a good way to get used to some aspects of military life and you may find like-minded people to train with too - training partners always help you get over that "It's raining, perhaps I'll run tomorrow" frame of mind ;) If you're into athletics then a local club may be worth looking into - rowing is another pursuit that gets you very fit and helps to keep you in shape.

As I've just noticed you're 14 I would also say to build-up to this stuff over the next couple of years at least. You really don't want to pick-up an injury at your age which will nag at you for the rest of your life (and I'm speaking from experience here, thank you, Rugby Football!) ;) LOL

Ultimately though, any exercise is good but don't burn yourself out and overtrain.

Just my ha'peth and the best of luck to you :)

Cheers

F

Thanks for the input. I think my average time for 1.5 miles is about 11 minutes, but I'm still improving. I get to go on a 10 mile hike in the next few days, and thats exactly how long we have to hike at boot camp, sooo... Gonna wear boots, gear, and maybe a 40 pound pack.

As for pull-ups, I cant do them regularly because I dont have anywhere I could do them. I could do them off the side of my house, but the railing might come lose, and my mom would get angry. For chinups(hands facing you) I can do about 10. Pull-ups(hands facing away from you) about 6.

I dont know if you guys have ever done stress positions, but they're hard. Like siting with your back to the wall so your legs form a 90 degree angle, with your hands strait out. Puts alot of pressure on the knees, and after a while they start to shake.

Archived