(I would like to apologize for the lack of pictures in this review because I forgot to take them and the grenade is now in millions of pieces!)

As soon as I had seen the news article on this website about these I had been trying to get my hands on them. After a bit of begging I managed to buy one from my local shops tesing box of them.

What comes with them?

You get:

The grenade body

The detonater cap

A sachet of powder

How do they work?

Basically there are two powders that mix and give off CO2. Eventually the pressure becomes so great that the body explodes.

How do you prepare them?

Inside the body of the grenade there is already some citric acid powder. You then need to half fill the grenade with water. Then you have a choice, you can either leave the grenade just making a bang or you can have it spewing BBs everywhere. If you want it to spew BBs then put some in!!! (I recommend about 25 0.12g BBs) Then you need to pour the provided sachet of baking soda into the detonater cap. When you get to your site put the cap on the grenade.

How do you set them off?

Firstly you need to pull out the pin. This allows you to push down the button on the detonater cap which opens the bottom of the cap allowing the baking soda to fall into the water powder mix. Then just shake, throw and stand well back.

How the test went

I used mine at my local site, Alpha 55. It was the last game of the day and the red team were protecting the tower (with new tunnel system). I was on blue team and I had a cunning plan, I grabbed a marshalling jacket and a camera and walked to the tower and snapped away.

After a while I reached into my pocket and pulled out the grenade, pulled the pin, pushed down the button, shook it and threw it just next to the tower. After twenty seconds had passed the grenade still hadn't gone off. Something was wrong. The guy standing next to the tower was becoming worried, "What was that?" he asked.

I walked to the grenade and found that the button had been forced up by the pressure a good sign. I gave it another shake, chucked it into the tower (where there was a guy that was on his stag party and one of his mates) and crossed my fingers, then BOOM!!! I ran off into the woods followed by 1000s of BBs.

Later inspection of the tower found the detonater cap and it's bottom in the corner of the tower where it had landed and bits of the body and yellow BBs in the tower and surrounding area. You should have seen the grin on my face.

Okay, so how loud was it?

When it went off I was shocked at how loud it was! In my opinion it sounded as loud as a thunderflash Mk5. After talking to the guys in the tower about 10 mins later I found their ears were still ringing! Probably not the best grenade that gets complaints if someone sets off a thunderflash.

Final verdict

I found this to be a really good grenade. Although it may not sound itit is easy to prepare and the ring to pull gives a great effect. There have been talks of packs that contain everything but the detonater cap but when the grenade only costs £3 I don't see much point in having to fish out the cap and its bottom. Only one thing to note, don't be afraid to shake it too much coz chances are you won't be in a position to shake it again as I was!

If you want one you may have a job as they are currently trying to make them fast enough. Within 3 months 10000 boxes of six has become 10. Surely this can only prove their absolutly amazing performance?

9 out if 10

Just curious, could you give some dimensions of the grenade? I have grenade pouches on my vest, that I would more than enjoy to fill, but I have no idea if these ones will fit. Could you give me the height from the top of the button thing, to the bottom of the grenade and possibly the width?

Some guys had these at a game I played, and I forgot to ask if I could handle one before they detonated. They never used them in a game sadly, but they make a good pop. Don't shake them too much, we had one detonate prematurly in the guys hand. He said it made it go numb.

Thanks.

Tripod: I'll do that as soon as I get some more. Contacted my local shop and he's got loadsa boxes in so I'll buy one and find out!

Codename 47: Where do you live? If you want I'll get you some AG01s. How many do you want? I think they're £3 a piece and we'll need to sort out postage.

I'm not quite clear on the bit about it not detonating...

So you armed it and threw it, and it didn't go off, and then you had to retrieve it and shake it again. Did you not arm it correctly, or is this something likely to happen a lot? How long is the fuse supposed to last? How long did it last? The issue of reliabilty is pretty important to me, as is fuse consistency.

I'll probably give these a try if/when they come out.

Sounds okay, im just concerned the reliability wont be great as your relying on some chemicals mixing...ive done loads of these type of explosions in my younger stupider days lol and it was always pretty random when they went off. You took a risk going back to shake it more aswell lol

Wouldn't mind seeing some pictures if anyone has any?

Okay my mum finished her Kymotherapy on Tuesday so if she feels okay I'll get a box or two tommorow. If you live in the UK you can buy a single grenade off me for £4 inc P&P.

[Edit: I'll add some pictures and dimensions then]

Manufacturer Update

I was just browsing the Airsoft Hand Grenades website and I've seen 3 things of interest. Firstly you can now get replacement kits containing grenade body and both powders. You will need to retrieve the detonater cap. Secondly they've reworked the plastic for a more spectacular explosion. Lastly, in the black version of the grenade the detonater cap is now also black.

Edited by Jammy_Stuff