RANT: British Discriminatory Culture

HaVoC

NB: I am not, at any point in this post, levelling accusations at any member of these forums

A rant here. It's been building for ages...stewing...growing...annoying me...

What I say may not be popular, but that's why I'm posting this in a public forum. No flamings, please, but reasonable discussion would be nice...

Basically, I want to rant about British culture, and, in particular, the 'British' attitude towards others. Basically, if the BBC were to broadcast a program in which they slagged-off black people 'because they were stupid', there would be outcry. The show would not be deemed acceptable, and the show, if not the government funding for the channel, would be pulled.

However, take a look at many of the BBCs programs - Dead Ringers, many of their 'documentaries', even the news. It's biased. It doesn't slag off black people, or Asian people, or any other ethnic minority, because that would be 'racist' and unacceptable (and rightly so). But they do constantly slag off the Americans. Most of the Dead Ringers sketches are taking the p*ss out of George W Bush, or some other aspect of American life. Whenever the BBC decide to take an 'informative look' at the war in Iraq, for example, it basically comes down to slagging off American soldiers, or the government, or any other aspect of the US military. Then ITV, and Channel 4 seem to join in as well. I must admit that Five, previously the 'rubbish channel', seem to be the only channel who refrain from this. And no-one bats an eyelid to all this - it's acceptable, apparently, and funny.

Can I just ask why it is seemingly acceptable to mock American people, but not black people?

Then there's the mocking of fat people wherever you go. Again, you can't mock black people because of the colour of their skin, and for good reason - it's unacceptable, and downright disrespectful. So why are fat people seemingly mocked. You wouldn't have a program called 'Changing Colour', where a black family had to change to white skin while under instruction, even if this were possible. So why, oh why, are there pieces of s**t on the TV now like 'Fat Change', where families battle it out to lose weight in a forced environment?

The government are constantly issuing stupid health warnings - too much fat, too much salt, too much... - and this is forcing companies like McDonalds and Burger King to remove super-size meals! Why?! If I wanted to, I should be able to eat larger meals. People shouldn't be discriminated against by the government or anyone else just because of their size, surely?

Surely it's your choice whether your fat or not, not someone elses...?

DISCUSS.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But they do constantly slag off the Americans. Most of the Dead Ringers sketches are taking the p*ss out of George W Bush, or some other aspect of American life. Whenever the BBC decide to take an 'informative look' at the war in Iraq, for example, it basically comes down to slagging off American soldiers, or the government, or any other aspect of the US military.

Got to take issue with this bit: Bush is a perfectly legitimate target for satire, as are Blair and co over here. Don't know about "other aspects of American life" though - maybe you could cite some examples? I watch DR regularly and I'll laugh at the Bush and Rummy sketches but it doesn't come across as stereotypical of Americans in general.

I need examples of them slagging off American soldiers too - if you mean their tactics/strategy or heavy-handedness, again that IS a legitimate subject for criticism.

Can I just ask why it is seemingly acceptable to mock American people, but not black people?

The difference is simple: if you mock Bush, you mock one man, not a country. If anyone takes mockery of Bush and believes it applies to all Americans I would say that says more about their own intolerances than anything.

As long as the criticism is specific and warranted, no problem. Once it is generalised ("all Yanks are dumb", "all Brits have bad teeth") it gets offensive.

Then there's the mocking of fat people wherever you go. Again, you can't mock black people because of the colour of their skin, and for good reason - it's unacceptable, and downright disrespectful. So why are fat people seemingly mocked. You wouldn't have a program called 'Changing Colour', where a black family had to change to white skin while under instruction, even if this were possible. So why, oh why, are there pieces of s**t on the TV now like 'Fat Change', where families battle it out to lose weight in a forced environment?

The government are constantly issuing stupid health warnings - too much fat, too much salt, too much... - and this is forcing companies like McDonalds and Burger King to remove super-size meals! Why?! If I wanted to, I should be able to eat larger meals. People shouldn't be discriminated against by the government or anyone else just because of their size, surely?

Surely it's your choice whether your fat or not, not someone elses...?

Well yeah, I kind of agree there. The difference is an obvious one - no-one chooses their race whereas being obese in a lot of cases is something you can do something about. But I agree, when it comes down to it it's just discrimination really. Someone said the other day that the only two social groups you can still be abusive about without going to court are fat people and men :)

But then if you're going to start picking out double standards you might also ask why cigarette packs have to display huge stickers warning of their deadly effects whilst bottles of booze (containing a more addictive and dangerous drug) do not.

I gotta agree with you on this one man, this really sucks. I wasn't paying much attention to the T.V. at the time but I did catch someone talking about how dangerous it was for Black Watch to move into US controlled territory in Iraq as it put them within range of the Americans, meant to be funny I think :huh:

Now I'd just like to point out that I am not a racist, and I suspect the people you mentioned above would say the same about themselves, hence why their isn't a programme called "Changing Colour", if it is true that they would indeed proclaim that they are not racist I'd have to say their lying through their teeth, discriminating against Americans is just the same as discriminating against pakistanis for crayin' out loud :rolleyes: For some reason obviously beyond my comprehension its okay to discriminate against Americans... Why :blink: Yet to discriminate against any of the ethnic minorities (Minorities :blink: Don't make me laugh), UK citizens or otherwise is simply a no-no, despite the fact that many members of these ethnic minorities break our immigration laws, hence why I believe they are no longer a minority. I have nothing against foreigners coming to live in the UK as long as they do it properly and don't just hitch a ride in the back of a van in order to claim the many benefits offered by our government. You'd be hard pushed to find an American committing such an offense, so is that the BBC just like to take the ###### out of decent people? Is it because if they did so to people with different coloured skin to our own they would more than likely play the race card, yet when they are racist towards a white person no one gives a *beep* except the affected party, heeellllllooo Mr. Plod, it works both ways y'know! I don't know, TBH this country *beep* sucks.

I agree, people should be allowed to eat what they like without being discriminated against. Just think about this for a second, if you where given the choice of dating a slightly overweight girl or an anorexic girl, which are you more likely to choose? The slightly overweight one of course!!! Sure being overweight can influence your health to point it becomes a problem, but forcing someone to lose weight can do the same, both physically and mentally :angry:

[/Rant]

(If I've caused offence to anyone who considers themself an ethnic minority of anyone with a weight problem simply say so and I'll delete this post)

I need examples of them slagging off American soldiers too - if you mean their tactics/strategy or heavy-handedness, again that IS a legitimate subject for criticism.

Just watch the news. If you listen to the way they say 'American' when they comment on something like the recent decision to put British troops under US control (sort of), it's said almost with hate in their voice most of the time. It's hard to explain, but it stands out...

The difference is simple: if you mock Bush, you mock one man, not a country.  If anyone takes mockery of Bush and believes it applies to all Americans I would say that says more about their own intolerances than anything.

As long as the criticism is specific and warranted, no problem.  Once it is generalised ("all Yanks are dumb", "all Brits have bad teeth") it gets offensive.

Well the generalisations about American culture are what really annoy me ("All Americans are fat", "America is a crime-riddled culture" - that sort of thing).

Also, why should it even be acceptable to mock one person like Bush and Blair? It's the British culture of mocking ANYTHING that's different to our culture that's the problem, and the BBC don't exactly help that (not just them, ITV and Channel 4 are just as bad in my opinion).

Also, I have political views. They're mine, and I'm entitled to think what I want. The same stands for anyone (even, dare I say it, Islamic extremists and the like...perhaps...it's a tricky one...). The BBC, especially, have NO right whatsoever to try to brainwash me. They constantly criticise the USA, their foreign policy, the Iraq war, their military...I happen to like America. Perhaps the BBC, and others, should consider that some people actually LIKE Bush and/or support the Iraq war. Magazines are also guilty of this sort of thing - in particular a couple of Gaming magazines which I subscribe to have begun slagging off Bush and the Iraq war because they assume all people have the same views as 'the magazine' in general. I buy a Gaming magazine to read about games, not to be told what my political views should be, or effectivelu slagged off myself for my views in this area.

Well yeah, I kind of agree there. The difference is an obvious one - no-one chooses their race whereas being obese in a lot of cases is something you can do something about.  But I agree, when it comes down to it it's just discrimination really.  Someone said the other day that the only two social groups you can still be abusive about without going to court are fat people and men  :)

But then if you're going to start picking out double standards you might also ask why cigarette packs have to display huge stickers warning of their deadly effects whilst bottles of booze (containing a more addictive and dangerous drug) do not.

Thing is, though, not everyone CAN do something about it. Some people naturally have a low metabolic rate. I knoe some people who could eat a horse and not put on a pound, even though they barely ever excercise. On the other hand, I try to excercise and don't eat THAT much, but I'm still...a little larger, let's say (meh - I'm not obese or anything like that, just a little...y'know...)...than I'd LIKE to be. I've got school and other commitments, though, so it's not my fault - I have a relatively slow metabolic rate and don't have the time to do anything about it. I'm fed up with people constantly telling others what they're lifestyle should be like though - if I wanted to be massively obese and eat what I wanted, when I wanted, surely that'd be my choice...?

EDIT: Thanks BadAss - nice to see someone who knows what I mean :)

Also, on the 'ethnic minorities' thing, if you go to many areas of London you'll find that the population is something like 90% Muslim. In those areas, then Muslims aren't an ethnic minority are they? No, Christians, Jews or any other group are...

However, take a look at many of the BBCs programs - Dead Ringers, many of their 'documentaries', even the news. It's biased. It doesn't slag off black people, or Asian people, or any other ethnic minority, because that would be 'racist'

Never noticed how the BBC always takes a pro-palestine stance when discussing the current situation in Isreal? It's always the isrealites in the wrong never the palestinians, even though both sides have a lot to answer for.

Whenever the BBC decide to take an 'informative look' at the war in Iraq, for example, it basically comes down to slagging off American soldiers, or the government, or any other aspect of the US military.

I know that s**t does happen in war, and even the best of people make mistakes, but the US Air Force/Army did manage to damage the UK forces and Journalists. A journalist convoy heading south with kurdish rebels was bombed by a US F-15E, after the airstrike was called in by US Ground Forces. The explosion killed a good few rebels fighting with the Coalition, as well as injuring many others including civilian journalists, even killing one.

I know it's just a few mistakes, but it was real people with real families that were killed. Blue-on-Blue does happen but it shouldn't happen that easily.

I mean no offense to the American people or the American Military Forces by saying this. The UK and the USA have had a great relationship and I hope that it continues for many years in the future.

Never noticed how the BBC always takes a pro-palestine stance when discussing the current situation in Isreal? It's always the isrealites in the wrong never the palestinians, even though both sides have a lot to answer for.

Agreed. Well spotted! :)

I know that s**t does happen in war, and even the best of people make mistakes, but the US Air Force/Army did manage to damage the UK forces and Journalists. A journalist convoy heading south with kurdish rebels was bombed by a US F-15E, after the airstrike was called in by US Ground Forces. The explosion killed a good few rebels fighting with the Coalition, as well as injuring many others including civilian journalists, even killing one.

I know it's just a few mistakes, but it was real people with real families that were killed. Blue-on-Blue does happen but it shouldn't happen that easily.

Yes, friendly-fire can never be good. On the other hand, when the US Air Force have massively more aircraft than us, it's more likely to be them who are involved in friendly-fire incidents. All wars have friendly-fire incidents from all sides - it just depends on which ones are more publicised and which ones happen first.

I mean no offense to the American people or the American Military Forces by saying this. The UK and the USA have had a great relationship and I hope that it continues for many years in the future.

Yep, I hope it continues too. It's a good relationship, no matter how much some people try to slag it off.

Just watch the news. If you listen to the way they say 'American' when they comment on something like the recent decision to put British troops under US control (sort of), it's said almost with hate in their voice most of the time. It's hard to explain, but it stands out...

I do watch the news.. I sort of know what you mean but I'd put that down more to being a reaction to control of British forces being taken (partially) out of our hands rather than a slur on the American military.

THAT said, I think the Coalition generally have done an appalling job in Iraq (and as most are American forces, they must take the bulk of the criticism) - the whole thing was abysmally planned, and what has now come to pass was predicted by countless Middle East experts before the invasion who were categorically ignored at the time by the "we'll-be-seen-as-liberators" crowd. Things like torture at Abu Ghraib and collective punishment in Fallujeh (both war crimes) have not helped.

Well the generalisations about American culture are what really annoy me ("All Americans are fat", "America is a crime-riddled culture" - that sort of thing).

Like I say, these are generalisations which will offend people if not put into some kind of context. It's sloppy journalism, something sadly that seems to have become the norm these days.

Also, why should it even be acceptable to mock one person like Bush and Blair? It's the British culture of mocking ANYTHING that's different to our culture that's the problem, and the BBC don't exactly help that (not just them, ITV and Channel 4 are just as bad in my opinion).

Political leaders wuill always be targets for satire and criticism. Comes with the job. It shouldn't be any other way - unless we can be objective (and yes, that means mockery if it is warranted - say, if your leader lies to you in order to launch a war) we might as well live in a dictatorship.

Also, I have political views. They're mine, and I'm entitled to think what I want. The same stands for anyone (even, dare I say it, Islamic extremists and the like...perhaps...it's a tricky one...).

That's the nub of the issue right there. If you believe Bush and Blair are great leaders, fair enough. But you also have to acknowledge the views of those who think they are war criminals. And Islamists who believe Osama is a great man. "One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter," as they say.

The BBC, especially, have NO right whatsoever to try to brainwash me. They constantly criticise the USA, their foreign policy, the Iraq war, their military...I happen to like America. Perhaps the BBC, and others, should consider that some people actually LIKE Bush and/or support the Iraq war. Magazines are also guilty of this sort of thing - in particular a couple of Gaming magazines which I subscribe to have begun slagging off Bush and the Iraq war because they assume all people have the same views as 'the magazine' in general. I buy a Gaming magazine to read about games, not to be told what my political views should be, or effectivelu slagged off myself for my views in this area.

Then don't let them brainwash you. Make up your own mind. That's everyone's prerogative. Here's the rub though - if you are right-wing, chances are you'll get your news from Fox or the Daily Mail. If you're a leftie, you'll go for The Guardian and The Mirror. People like news that reinforces their own opinions, and will berate things that contradict them (as you have proved).

Trick is to keep a wholly open mind. I haven't got there myself, but I'm far less of a fire-breathing anti-capitalist than I was a few years ago. I now consider myself to have been quite ignorant, but at the time I thought I knew it all.

Thing is, though, not everyone CAN do something about it. Some people naturally have a low metabolic rate. I knoe some people who could eat a horse and not put on a pound, even though they barely ever excercise. On the other hand, I try to excercise and don't eat THAT much, but I'm still...a little larger, let's say (meh - I'm not obese or anything like that, just a little...y'know...)...than I'd LIKE to be. I've got school and other commitments, though, so it's not my fault - I have a relatively slow metabolic rate and don't have the time to do anything about it. I'm fed up with people constantly telling others what they're lifestyle should be like though - if I wanted to be massively obese and eat what I wanted, when I wanted, surely that'd be my choice...?

I know, that's why I said "in most cases". You're preaching to the choir with the tubby thing n'all - I could go for losing a few pounds meself. I wholeheartedly agree that people's lives are their own damn business.

With the exception of political leaders, whose lives and actions affect the rest of us :)

I gotta agree with you on this one man, this really sucks. I wasn't paying much attention to the T.V. at the time but I did catch someone talking about how dangerous it was for Black Watch to move into US controlled territory in Iraq as it put them within range of the Americans, meant to be funny I think

That was on Have I Got News For You. Again, bit poor taste possibly, but you have to admit the Americans don't have the best record when it comes to friendly fire casualties. I have a mate who flies Tornados - one of his sqaudron was shot down by an American missile a couple of years ago. He had some extremely colourful things to say about them which I won't repeat here :)

I do watch the news.. I sort of know what you mean but I'd put that down more to being a reaction to control of British forces being taken (partially) out of our hands rather than a slur on the American military.

THAT said, I think the Coalition generally have done an appalling job in Iraq (and as most are American forces, they must take the bulk of the criticism) - the whole thing was abysmally planned, and what has now come to pass was predicted by countless Middle East experts before the invasion who were categorically ignored at the time by the "we'll-be-seen-as-liberators" crowd.  Things like torture at Abu Ghraib and collective punishment in Fallujeh (both war crimes) have not helped.

Hmmm...I was trying to stay away from the whole 'Iraq - right or wrong?' debate here. Whether the thing was a success or not is a matter of opinion.

Like I say, these are generalisations which will offend people if not put into some kind of context.  It's sloppy journalism, something sadly that seems to have become the norm these days.

Yes, exactly.

Political leaders wuill always be targets for satire and criticism.  Comes with the job.  It shouldn't be any other way - unless we can be objective (and yes, that means mockery if it is warranted - say, if your leader lies to you in order to launch a war) we might as well live in a dictatorship.

Again, that's a matter of opinion. You think they lied to start the war, I don't. Because your view seems to be the 'trendy' one to take (I'm not accusing you of taking that view just to be 'trendy' though!), all the media seems to pander to it.

That's the nub of the issue right there.  If you believe Bush and Blair are great leaders, fair enough.  But you also have to acknowledge the views of those who think they are war criminals.  And Islamists who believe Osama is a great man.  "One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter," as they say.

Then don't let them brainwash you.  Make up your own mind.  That's everyone's prerogative.  Here's the rub though - if you are right-wing, chances are you'll get your news from Fox or the Daily Mail.  If you're a leftie, you'll go for The Guardian and The Mirror.  People like news that reinforces their own opinions, and will berate things that contradict them (as you have proved).

I read The Express actually, when I choose to read the paper (ie - not often). We should be allowed to make up our own minds, yes, but we shouldn't have to REPEL being brainwashed into thinking something - the media just shouldn't take a bias...

Trick is to keep a wholly open mind.  I haven't got there myself, but I'm far less of a fire-breathing anti-capitalist than I was a few years ago.  I now consider myself to have been quite ignorant, but at the time I thought I knew it all.

I know, that's why I said "in most cases".  You're preaching to the choir with the tubby thing n'all - I could go for losing a few pounds meself.  I wholeheartedly agree that people's lives are their own damn business.

Yes, exactly (again). :)

With the exception of political leaders, whose lives and actions affect the rest of us  :)

Maybe, but why can't they have a little bit of dignity? If they think a certain thing (that isn't Nazi-ism or anything that extreme that is CLEARLY wrong - people can debate on whether the Iraq war was right or wrong, but surely NO-ONE can deny that the Nazi plan to eradicate the Jews was wrong?) then just let them...

That was on Have I Got News For You.  Again, bit poor taste possibly, but you have to admit the Americans don't have the best record when it comes to friendly fire casualties.  I have a mate who flies Tornados - one of his sqaudron was shot down by an American missile a couple of years ago.  He had some extremely colourful things to say about them which I won't repeat here  :)

HIGNFY...another one of my pet hates, along with Room 101...

Yes, ok, maybe they don't have the best record, but as I say, if you increased/decreased the UK/US air forces, let's say, to be the same size, I bet friendly fire incidents would be almost the same on either side.

This kind of thing ###### me off. theres so much bureaucracy stopping people saying this, saying that, letting people sue each other, people getting compensation for robbing other peoples houses and bumping their heads.

Oh no, somone made a joke about somones looks/race/creed/colour, GET OVER IT

are they really so insecure about their background that all of this has to be taken on a personal level.

I agree with the start of your first post havoc, where you said how come certain groups are protected, while others arent. If they want to be equal why are there things like gay only holiday clubs, the mobo awards etc. There would be aabsolute outcry if there was a european white people music awards, or places where gays werent allowed.

All this ######s needs to get scrapped and people to grow up and stop taking offence at the slightest joke that they find some way to be against them

I can see what you're saying, but I'd say that if people opened their f**king minds a bit and thought about it, then actually stopped making stupid comments in the first place, then there'd be no need to complain...

how could anyone say they're not racist? Everyone is racist at a certain degree, and its i think natural to be in a world like today. If you disagree, then think back to anytime you have had some sort of thought of a sterotype when you see a certain person of color or even your own race. I'm not saying that i'm racist enough to stay away from certain races, because i have friends of many race and creed. But come on, you know you have racist thoughts. :P

Hmmm...I was trying to stay away from the whole 'Iraq - right or wrong?' debate here. Whether the thing was a success or not is a matter of opinion.

Fair enough.

Again, that's a matter of opinion. You think they lied to start the war, I don't. Because your view seems to be the 'trendy' one to take (I'm not accusing you of taking that view just to be 'trendy' though!), all the media seems to pander to it.

Deal is, Tony Blair said (categorically) that Saddam had WMD that could hit Cyprus in 45 minutes, hence them being a direct threat to UK interests. When you make a statement like that, especially with the intention of starting a war, you'd better be pretty damn sure you're right.

All these mea culpas we've had since - the Hutton whitewash, claims it was all "an intelligence failure" - that doesn't wash with me. What it boils down to is leaders who can take these actions but not be repsonsible for them if they go wrong. That's just wrong in my opinion.

Look at the BBC following Hutton - they were wrong so the two top bosses resigned. Tony gets it wrong and passes the buck. Double standards.

I read The Express actually, when I choose to read the paper (ie - not often). We should be allowed to make up our own minds, yes, but we shouldn't have to REPEL being brainwashed into thinking something - the media just shouldn't take a bias...

Like someone else said, all media has a bias. The Express is a pretty right-wing paper. The reason the BBC ought to be completely impartial is that we all pay for it so it should cater for all political views.

Keep an open mind. You can't immediately discredit something you read or hear as brainwashing because you don't agree with it.

Maybe, but why can't they have a little bit of dignity? If they think a certain thing (that isn't Nazi-ism or anything that extreme that is CLEARLY wrong - people can debate on whether the Iraq war was right or wrong, but surely NO-ONE can deny that the Nazi plan to eradicate the Jews was wrong?) then just let them...

I would criticise them for their actions, not who they are. Blair lied, therefore he gets both barrels. If you get into high politics you can expect slings and arrows - nature of the beast.

Yes, ok, maybe they don't have the best record, but as I say, if you increased/decreased the UK/US air forces, let's say, to be the same size, I bet friendly fire incidents would be almost the same on either side.

Quite possibly. But then, when you hear stories about US pilots officially being given dexedrine and other amphetemines to keep them combat ready for longer you begin to wonder.

Good points here. I'm not a racist, however there seems to be too much of this, you can't say that! going on. I'm struggling for an example at the moment, but I guess Englishmen, Irishman and Scotsman jokes that in times gone by were simply funny. :(

A slightly different example, recently a council banned a puppeteer from doing punch and judy shows as they thought it encouraged domestic violence to kids :blink:

Like you say, America seems to be a target, like 'gun crime is getting worse, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as America. Surly in theUS there are some places where gun crime isn't too bad. Also there seems to be anti Amercan sentiment in some people, not me, but if that were anti muslim, or black people, it's completly wrong, it'd stop you getting a job in the police. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3956805.stm

Finally we seem to be turning into a 'nany state', as was pointed out previously, the encouraged stopping of king sized chocolate and meals. Surly it's down to education, largly by parents. Am I the only person who only sometimes buys chocolate, but goes for a normal bar, but if it's been a bad day or something, occasionaly gets a big bar? It should be about choice, and that includes ocasional treats...

ever noticed how the BBC always takes a pro-palestine stance when discussing the current situation in Isreal? It's always the isrealites in the wrong never the palestinians, even though both sides have a lot to answer for.

Recently, with Israeli tanks rolling into Palestinian refugee camps and the like- blasting at supposed "rebels" in the middle of throngs of innocents, can you not see why the media takes a slightly pro-palestinian approach? The Israeli's believe in pre-emptive strikes, so the invasion of Palestine and the Ghaza strip is simply a form of defence- "Attack is the best form of defence": however, they also talk of retaliation for palestinian rocket attacks- a tooth for a tooth etc. In most cases, it is the official Israeli army who kill palestinian civilians, whereas it is palestinian terrorists who kill Israeli civilians. This is why, i think, Israeli's are always portrayed in the wrong.

In all fairness, to add my 2p to the posts above- shows like Dead Ringers, and now recently Little Britain (which last night had such phrases as "Ching-chong-china man" and "oomp-a-lumpa" when describing a short person) if viewed as a government propaganda tool or the feelings of Britain as a whole are undeniably, disgusting, discriminatory programmes. However, most of you have described yourself as watchers of the said shows- why do you watch them? To route out evil in the media? To record evidence so you can take the TV companies to court? No, you watch them primarily because they are funny. Everyone likes to laugh- If something is funny- I would laugh at it; not because i agree with what they are saying, but because it's funny. Unfortunately, a lot of the comedy nowadays relies on taking the ###### out of people which is a shame to be honest. IN my opinion, there are two ways of solving this. 1. All comedy programmes where there is any mention of a difference someone has should be taken of the air. 2. People realise it is just a joke- take it light heartedly. The comedy show is not being snide or incredibly nasty: just making something funny. The key in this argument is not to ignore the fact that someone is different- as this will only make the subject harder to discuss. We must acknowledge people's differences, and realise that it makes no difference to our decisions. We should be rejoicing in the diversity of our species, not trying to hush it up. :)

I see where your coming from rizzo, I watch such shows as Little Britain and yes, said jokes are meant to be taken in jest, but what I think we're getting at here is that the majority of these jokes seem to be directed at Americans, at which point it goes beyond having a laugh and becomes discrimination. If a comedian makes a joke about someone of eastern background their actions are almost always called into question as it is seen as being racist, so why does this not apply to the west as well? I don't think this would be a problem if just a little of the flak were directed at a nation other than America once in a while, I thought Americans were our strongest allies :blink: Well why are they not treated like it?

tht's funny...I was talking to my friend the other day about this...

I am from hong kong...and the friend I was talking to is english....I've always notice that english people seem to like mock everyone geographically near them.....I mean people always blame the french, americans...then you hate Scotland and Wales......then there is Ireland...(at least that's what he told me abt english pple)

I just dun think this is very "civilised"...constantly making jokes abt other nations....

However ....I think most of you will not know that Hong Kong people are mostly racist agaist almost every other asian country(including mainland china....except Korea and Japan)..so maybe we are not much better....but then we seems to be the only place in asia tht does tht.....so maybe it had something to do with being a british colony...

btw....this might be the longest single page in History...

How about this. If you're taking a theory driving test, you can have it in any of the following languages:

Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Dari, Farsi, Gujarati, Hindi, Kashmiri, Kurdish, Mirpuri, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Pushto, Spanish, Tamil, Turkish, Urdu and Welsh.

Oh, and english

Why are all of these eastern languages, bar Welsh and Spanish? I know people from the EC can drive with their existing passports, but Spanish is there, why not Frence, it's widely spoken?

Thinking about it, the American government and media said some pretty off-colour things about Europe after France and Germany refused to join the Coalition - cheese-eating surrender monkeys anyone?

Just to point out it isn't a uniquely British trait.

To #1...

I am american, I find dead ringers to be absolutely hilarious, parts of comedy programs about fat people are scarily close to real life for some americans (AND BRITS! You eat more choclate than we do proportionately...) and I have seen very funny comedy about black life, admittedly mostly by black artists but it didn't stop me laughing at some of it, though I did search for an ebonics dictionary to understand some of it.

Deadringers is a satire program, and harsh as it is, there aren't too many black leaders etc worth taking the rip out of, either too unkown or just plain not funny. I do remember a funny sketch by whats his face, did Chef, big black comedian, about a zimbawian leader or something that cracked me up something royal.

And really, a little overweight, not a problem, giantly obese is giantly obese, you cannot hide it and its just not nice to look at plus its pretty bad for the person. Really, sometimes people have to be protected from themselves.

Thinking about it, the American government and media said some pretty off-colour things about Europe after France and Germany refused to join the Coalition - cheese-eating surrender monkeys anyone?

Just to point out it isn't a uniquely British trait.

not so much germany but now, ALOT of americans dislike the french and vice versa. for a while over here (still going on a little) anything with the word french in it was replaced with freedom (ie: freedom fries, freedom kiss, freedom toast, etc) i havent heard anything bad about the germans because in america, the french are looked at as more of a stubborn, pain in the neck nation even BEFORE all this happened so they're knocked MUCH more then the germans. (even the british comedian eddie izzard knocks the french so its not just us yanks).

another thing, it seems okay for a minority to make fun of a majority but not a majority make fun of a minority. I live in NYC where it's EXTREMELY diverse and alot of times i have noticed that a black/hispanic person would crack a racial slur at a white person and nothing really happened, then the white person would respond with another racial slur and everyone of that race nearby would like FREAK OUT. it ###### me off how its wrong for a majority to knock minorities but then majorities have to take the heat from minorities and not do anything about it w/o it being called a racial crime or they'll be repremanded for making a racial comment. i'm only racist against those who are racist against my color/nationality, i have friends of all different backgrounds and i treat them all the same, i dont discriminate unless i'm discriminated on so dont take this as me getting mad at all blacks/hispanics, just the ones who thinks its ok to make fun of others without retaliation.

Archived