• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can never have overkill in airsoft. Thats a very very nice gun how did you machine everything?

I use a Sherline mill

http://www.sherline.com/

I started with a solid block of 6061 aluminum then I just milled the *beep* out of it. I *fruitcage*ed up several times (good thing aluminum is cheap over here!). All together, I spent 3 weeks making this thing but if I had to do it again, I could probably do it in a week now (after making all those mistakes). Companies like Shooter's Design and Prime typically use CNC machines to make their custom slides.. that's why they can mass produce them and sell em at 100 bucks a pop.

whoa.. I just realized I can't swear on this forum...

PS. I didn't actually use the term "fruitcaged" .. i dont know of any sane/straight person who would....

Edited by gooseman

340 fps may be overkill for a pistol but I tend to use my pistol for long range engagements (50 ft). My style of play lends to having a really compact weapon and I love slinking through the jungles with nothing but a pistol in hand (ala Metal Gear Solid). Which is also why all my pistols have to have a threaded barrel for silencer. I love shooting out of a bush at my enemy and having him look around in confusion trying to find where I'm shooting from. A silenced pistol is VERY hard to pinpoint in my experience. :)

Oh, and those empty shell casings are 5.7mm (fired from a P90).

Edited by gooseman
  • 3 months later...

I've got two Hicapas now, one 5.1, all metal and tricked out, and one stock 4.3.

I've been looking for something gun to do to the 4.3, and I like Kimber Desert Warriors, so I though I'd give painting the 4.3 a try.

I started of by painting my spare 5.1" plastic slide.

post-3145-1135304887_thumb.jpg

It came out nice. I plan on painting the 4.3 slide and frame in the same khaki color. What do you guys think? Look good? different color maybe?

I know the Kimber is dark earth, but I've got khaki on hand, and I like it.

My real problem is how to paint the grip. I want to paint it khaki, then do the grip panels in brown, but looks like it's going to be very tricky, and I don't have a grip to practice on. I think I might paint the entire grip brown, then mask off the grip panels, and paint the rest khaki. I had planned on trying the reverse, but masking off the area between panels is very difficult.

Any comments, suggestion?

post-3145-1135304942_thumb.jpgpost-3145-1135304953_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. Those pictures are pretty crappy, I took them in TV light, then resized them and lowered their quality to save space.

I'll get some better ones soon, probably after Christmas. I'm painting the frame now, as well as the 4.3 slide.

I've started work on the grip, too. I' currently laying on lots of coats of brown to the side grip panels. It looks good, its an almost ruddy type brown, nicer than I expected. After letting that sit for at least 24 hours, I'll tape over just the side panels and do the rest in khaki.

I've completely disassembled the gun for this project, to avoid gummin gup the works, and have masked everything very thouroughly and carefully. I'm going to clean and polish the inside of the frame, too. If you've enver been in there, both my hicapas have a terrible surface finish inside the frame. Some finishing work will smooth the trigger and the cycle, hopefully enough that I actually notice.

I'm not painting any of the controls, so it will still have black accents all over it. I might paint the magazine bumper, probably not.

And, for Sledge, I was actually thinking about splotching brown to make more of a 3 color desert look to it, but we'll see when its done.

My photography sucks balls, so I decided to take photos of all of my toys against a white paper background and then cut them out. Some of them look a bit ######, others don't ;)

The newest pictures on this 'ere page are the ones I'm referring to ;)

Comments appreciated :) I also realised as I was doing this that a lot of these pictures could be useful for game weapon pictures, so I might be using them in my multiplayer shoot-em-up one of these days :D

Nice PPK, springer? I see you also still have the KJW M92 FMV, still going ok? I think it worked ok during the 24hours I owned it, lol.

Yeah, the PPK/S is a cheapo springer (3PSA are a subsidiary of Cybergun I think).

The KJW M9 is still going well, yeah. I don't really fire it (prefer my full-auto GLOCKs for plinking!) but it works. Filling the KJW mag with gas is a pain in the *albatross* though, so I got a TM M9 mag that is better. It's still very gas hungry though.

Nice collection! I like the MP5 Kurtz best for some reason :D

Don't blame you :) I wasn't entirely sure whether I'd be a fan of it but I ordered two the other day so that I could go akimbo during suicide rushes ;) They're lovely looking guns, especially considering they are plastic. Only thing I don't like about them is that you can't operate the cocking lever when the battery is installed.