thread creator has more pictures but i dont see which, if any are of him.

they all seem to be period shots.

the ss anti-partizans in yugoslavia during ww2 have a pretty bad reputation, along with the ustashi, and it all came back to the surface rather bitterly during the 1990's.

i think PlasticMag's response is not entirely unexpected given that the yugoslavian wars were pretty recent, largely unresolved, and obviously hit his family harder than say hit mine [i have family there too].

for a lot of people, especially in the region, in their mind, this conflict is not resolved, and perhaps wont ever be. unfortunately theres been alot of propaganda on all sides, and some, especially the impressionable younger ones, are inclined to believe it. i myself have to deal from time to time with some particularly overly nationalistic youth ...

i would urge the thread creator to clearly show photos of himself and his fellow players in their gear, and show the period photos alongside, so that this can all be given relevance and be in context.

at the moment, this thread is still pretty useless.

Edited by oikoik
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expvideo, I dont see how shooting each other with toy guns while being dressed up as the elite soldiers of a fascist mass murdering regime is honouring anyone.

Actually, my grandfather was also in the SS, but why the *fruitcage* would I want to honour him for what he did? And even more importantly, why would I run around dressed up like him? Do you really think that theres any reason to be proud of having served in the SS? Do you think just because there are always two sides of a war both deserve respect? Its not risking your life that matters, the point is what youre doing it for.

No one ever said those kids are running around playing "lets gas some jews" but its still tasteless and ignorant. Surely they have the right to dress up as whatever they want to, but hell that will never make me stop saying how dumb it makes them.

Its not like were talking about some museum making a re-enactment of historic battles to remind pupils of the unbelievable suffering this world went to throughout this years. Were, quite frankly, talking about a bunch of kids (mentally at least) running around like "Hay guyz our granpas was in the SS w00t! Thought wed be cool n do teh same with our BB gunz lol". Its also not like theyre sacrificing their conscience to carry the burden and dress up as the evil part for the benefit of a big milsim game, and you know that.

I see no honour in fighting for the genocide, and I see no honour in running around like if I was.

Lastly, grow up yourself. Or will you also go and honour a suicide bomber for blowing himself up in the city? "Sure he killed a few innocent people, but hey that suicide was damn brave."

You got to be kidding me.

oh just shut up expvideo.

its part of my herritage to beat up the irish for stealing our jobs because they didn't have any potatoes, and sell black slaves in the new words becuse we're brittish dammit!

now, if i did either of those things, you'd whine at me.

(propety of Cazboab)

Regular members, you don't like what's going on? REPORT!?! Say what you don't agree about and we can sort it out. :)

Sometimes mods don't appear for quite a while. I've not seen one this afternoon yet, so the wheels of justice are a little slow to turn ;)

Edited by doc_newstead

I usually try to avoid posting in threads of this kind, but oh well:

Honestly, I can't really agree with both of the opposing opinions here.

If it weren't a serious matter, I would find it quite laughable if someone really thinks he is honouring even anyone by playing airsoft or reenacting. As far as I am concerned, that goes for modern day combat units as well as it goes for Wehrmacht or SS units. I absolutely can't stand all those "We're playing this operation for the guys that died in Mogadishu in 1993" comments and of course it sickens me as well in this here situation. How can someone even respond seriously to an (according to the profile) 11 year old boy claiming he is reenacting an SS unit?

Why I am disagreeing with comments like Purity's also is, that still most of the people nowadays feel an urge to push the whole WWII era off their mind in a certain aspect, and naturally Germany & Austria are very affected by this urge. I am reenacting a Wehrmacht unit as well from time to time, but that goes for the military aspect only. If I was reenacting the purpose a unit is/was used to at all, the selection of soldiers which I could imitate without totally denying my own opinion would be rather small. If I would care for what people could think if they see me in uniforms with a realisticly looking BB-gun I wouldn't play airsoft at all.

Back on this particular case though, if I would care what all the dumb people I encounter day by day were doing, I would vote for preventing 11 year old kids from reenacting SS-units.

As always, If I offended anyone with anything written in my post it was not intended,

Hetzer

Edited by Hetzer

Hmmm... I dunno, I could never really understand the SS-reenactment... many people seem to think that the SS was some kind of elite force. Furthermore, the SS was part of the Nazi regime, whilst the Wehrmacht was just Germany's regular army.

I do honor the usual German (Wehrmacht) forces (as I do the American, British etc.), but the SS, as being part of a genocidial regime, can't gain any sympathy or honor from me, wether they fought good or not. I can't. Liberal barrier or somethin'.

I don't want to try to prevent anyone from re-enacting anything, but I'd never actually do that myself.

By the way - I suggest that everyone read SS-boy's response to my neg rep.

It's in Serbian, and I don't know how well a translator can deal, since he's using the Bosniak form of Serbo-Croatian.

It's rather enlightening, and no I'm not going to translate it for you all. I'm too ###### off right now at this little nationalistic ######.

I know that EVERYONE did nasty stuff in the Balkans during the 40s and again in the 90s. This kid doesn't seem to get it - he lives a glossed over life where the heroic Bosniaks joined the SS and saved the womenfolk from the murdering Slavic hordes.

In reality, EVERYONE killed EVERYONE.

Part of my family faught with Tito's communists, another part fought with the OSS supporting the Serb nationalists until the collapse of that group. They ended up, though they didn't know it, fighting each other.

But in case there was any doubt and SS-boy's unit of choice:

"It so happened that Husseini [leader of some of the Palestinians at that time] made his contribution to the Axis war effort in his capacity as a Muslim, rather than as an Arab leader, by recruiting and organizing in record time, during the spring of 1943, Bosnian Muslim battalions in Croatia comprising some 20,000 men [out of 700,000 people - a HUGE response]. These Muslim volunteer units, called Hanjar (Sword), were put in the WAFFEN-SS to fight Yugoslav partisans in Bosnia, and carried out police and security duties in Hungary. They participated in the massacres of civilians in Bosnia and volunteered to join in the hunt for Jews in Croatia. The Germans made a point of publicizing the fact that Husseini had flown from Berlin to Sarajevo for the sole purpose of giving his blessing to the Muslim army and inspecting its arms and training exercises."

Source:

Encyclopedia of the Holocaust, Edition 1990, Volume 2, Pages 706 and 707, entry Husseini, Hajj Amin Al

Edited by PlasticMag

I've met people from France, Holland, Poland, Italy and Russia who were alive during the period (not to mention the British). Not one of them could think of an act of Nazi kidness or compassion throughout their lives.

However, the Nazis were people like you or I. Some were good, some were bad. All were willing, whether conscious or otherwise supporters of a lie of racial purity as a justification for material gain. Like many humans placed in positions of power, the greatest acts of cruelty became possible, and this was the case with the Waffen SS, especially the aforementioned group:

These...units, called Hanjar (Sword), were put in WAFFEN-SS fought Yugoslav partisans in Bosnia, and carried out police and security duties in Hungary. THEY PARTICIPATED IN THE MASSACRE OF CIVILIANS IN BOSNIA and VOLUNTEERED TO JOIN IN THE HUNT FOR JEWS IN CROATIA... The Germans made a point of publicizing the fact that Husseini had flown from Berlin to Sarajevo for the sole purpose of giving his blessing to the Muslim army and inspecting its arms and training exercises.*

Out of respect for all of those who lost loved ones to these individuals, I find it hard to palate any further material glorifying this subject without any particular basis. More than that, I have yet to see any photographic links to airsoft; merely photography of real people over half a century ago.

Thread closed.

*Encyclopedia of the Holocaust, Edition 1990, Volume 2, Pages 706 and 707 - apologies to Plasticmag - I hadn't realised I had quoted the same relevant passage.

Hello all!

I don't wish to create any spam in here, so please, let's keep all the images clean, no flame-wars/forum-fires/what-have-you, and please do consider the rules when posting, okay? Thank you! :)

Here's the set-up: As some (all of SNAFU) you know, I'm currently working on a MODERN GERMAN loadout, but I'm unsure of several things that maybe you guys could be kind enough to help me with. Bsically, just post pics of modern units in their usual gear, and please specify what type of division they are (Amoured, Airborne, Infantry, Special Forces, ect ect.) as I'm still undecided about which unit I'm going to go for, and hoping maybe some interesting pics can sway me in a certain direction to start off. (As of now, I'm leaning towards Fllshcrimjagger ;) )

I've familierized myself with a lot of the kit, but if something out of the ordinary is pictured that I or other members may find of interest, please tell us what exatly it is in the case I decide to purchase it! (In other words, you don't have to list every peice of kit in the pics; only specialty gear.)

If any of you out there are also modern German fans and you've got an airsoft set-up, please post the pics!

Thanks a lot guys! :D

Cheers

Ok, folks, here's a general enjoyment graph for airsoft, with enjoyment being rated vs BBs fired:

airsoft9ke.jpg

The reason it starts with a +ve enjoyment even though you've fired no BBs? Simple: you still have your lovely AEG/GBB to admire, and think, "Oooooh, this'll be nice!"

Now, the sudden spike early on is due to realising you've just fired your way through your first 1000BBs, and if you didn't purchase enough - that's an entire bag you've just emptied into your back garden without realising it!!

Obviously the more you fire, the more enjoyment you get out of it...But, all guns have their maximum load, and when that day comes - in this example at the lowly 5000 mark (must've been a cheapie special!), it just fails on you - and there's no gun to admire this time, because you've no doubt smashed it up on the roadside. :)

Just a bit of fun and nonsense. :wacko:

:blink:

Boredom.......strikes!

Nah, boredom is launching the gas cylinders from the GCs at work over the river. If things don't pick up, I'm liable to be doing this soon :blink: .

With reference to the graph, it's missing the "bought another gun" increase, coupled with the decrease up on seeing the bank balance.

Shouldn't it go negative at the end?

You know - That "Damn, why did I waste all that money on a toy gun" moment? ;)

Presumably the degree of negativity is proportionate to the amount of money and the speed at which the 'break-point' is reached...

Cheers.

PS Yes - I'm bored.... :unsure:

Edited by snowman
Hakuna matata, dude :D

And what are GCs?

GC = Gas Chromatograph, used for analysis of samples in the chemical industry. The GC uses a gas (Hydrogen in this case) as a mobile phase to move the sample through the system, which consists of a column containing a matrix of some description, which separated out the components of the sample so that the analyst can identify the components and/or determine the quantity of said components.

That's a basic description. As you can probably tell, science isn't very interesting. Lab work most definitely isn't.

Back on topic:

I agree with snowman, it probably should go negative.