about the search engine

I think alot of people fell in this ''supposed to be handy'' feature of the search engine. unless you are in the forum/index.php then go to the search engine, the search engine will automatically search where (sub-forum-wise) ever you were last. for example, when you are in the general discussion and decide you couldnt find what you want and want to search. once you load the search page you will quite naturally think, type in the word then press the search button. however, most people failed to release, the field underneath is actually filled in by the ''handy feature'' so only search results that comes from the general discussion will pop up. none of those from newbie section, or anywhere else. As much as you can argue about ''they should have looked'', the fact is, most newbies and some common users failed to do so. it is one of the most natrually made mistake. Since thats a natural careless-ness and cant really be fixed (i dont see how you can make sure everyone use the search engine look at that part everysingle time, especailly newbies), why cant we change our system to adopt and fix such mistake. like for example, disable that feature, or widen the ''handy feature'', so that you were last at airsoft *chaffinch* chat then it will search airsoft *chaffinch* chat related topics. i know this will put more load onto the search engine/server but think about the end results if newbie search what they want, they wouldnt start repeated threads and prevent some wars/flaming. and overall atmosphere within in the forum would be much better.

I think the search engine is fairly basic and shouldn't cause too much of a problem. Lets face it, its not Rocket Science and we can all use google etc pretty well already so there's no excuse.

Fair enough if you're a Noob and don't realize its there in the first place, but a little bit of help and guidance for the noob will soon sort that out.

Really as long as you make sure you've selected either the exact category you want to look in or the 'All forums' you'll be fine. Also its quite often worth choosing the 'search titles only' option to try and find a closer match in the topic title otherwise you can spend hours looking through pages and pages of a topic just to find one word.

Ands its always worth reading RULES first

Edited by VEGA_04

I kind of agree with Tef. I have had many instances where I think it will automatically search the entire board, and it will only search sales, or general discussion.

Maybe Arnie could make it to where you had to select a board to search before the search would be comenced?

Also, sometimes I'll put in a one or two word phrase, and set it for only general discussion, and it will pull up EVERY thread that is on that board. Keep in mind, I'll put in words like Tanaka M500.

~P