Prime full metal conversion, TM Sig p226

For those of you who complain that the TM p226 is too plasticky, here's something to ponder on. Ever wonder what it would be like if you had one in full metal? Well, I was recently commissioned to build one as a bday present and didn't expect this much work, though Prime kits are always far from easy.

The kit itself is beautifully made and looks great in the box, but the big problem is getting everything to fit with the stock internals. If you want to attempt this yourself, all I can say is Godspeed.

Because of the complexity of the sig design, there are springs EVERYWHERE in this gun and if you are not careful, you will lose them. Once you strip down the donor to bare frame, the fun really begins. Placing the original subframe assemblies inside the new frame seems pretty straightforward until you check the height of the frame rails. The rails on the subframe sit .3 to .4 mm higher than the rails on the grip frame. These must be handlapped to the proper height. If you do not have the proper jig and the tools to "deck" the rails, forget about it.

Other various pin holes must be enlarged to accomodate your factory retaining pins. The magwell must be carefully sanded, otherwise mags will not drop free. There are too many items that need the careful attention of a gunsmith so I will repeat: this is not for novices. The slide isn't too bad for transplanting internals, but the real problem is fitting it to your frame as the tolerances are extremely tight. A caliper is a must.

Internally the gun sports springs by RCC, RCC cylinder bulb, tightbore by KM, and alot of massaging by me. I only have one pic of the gun so far, but it should give you an idea of what is possible with time and money. As for performance, with this level of gas flow upgrades, performance is modest at 325 fps. More is attainable, but what is important is consistency. It absolutely refuses to drop below 325 until there is next to no gas left in the mag, or you fire off more than a ten shot full reset string. Here it is.

dsc013449on.th.jpg

Click on the thumb.

Sounds like alot of work, is it worth the effort? Any chance of a more indepth review of the finished article?

It was a great deal of work, but there's no denying the appeal. If you have the money and spending it is not an issue, then yes, it is worth it. I took the finished product to several marines who then proceeded to insert loaded 9mm magazines into it. That should tell you something. The balance is superb and the weight of the gun is reassuring. Accuracy and consistency are much improved over stock. The real world testing will be in the crucible of combat later this evening. I will field test it for the owner to make sure that there are no hidden bugs. I'll report on the results after the game.