French marines impression (pic heavy)

Robot 2000

:D

I, in my infinite wisdom, have decided to do a french marines impression as my first "proper" loadout (mainly because of the vast numbers of Armalite-toting Deltas at my first skirmish today ;)). Anyhoo, if anyone knows anything about the modern French marines (google only seems to turn up stuff about the 18th century) I'd be much obliged. Here is a preliminary kit list and some pics I've gleaned from this awesome archive :)

Kit:

FAMAS G2 (bipod, SV-style handguard, M16 mags)

Aimpoint of some description

3-point sling

French Central European BDU's

OG webbing/CCE webbing if I can get it

Again if I can get it, CCE body armour cover and plates, whatever helmet it is they use.

EDIT: oh and I'll be needing a big patch, one of those shield shaped ones that has a french flag and "FRANCE" in big letters on it :P

Non-armoured pics:

marines11.jpg

marines8.jpg

marines7.jpg

here are some pics with body armour. If anyone has any idea where I can snag one of these body armour covers and helmets you'll have my eternal gratitude ;)

marines5.jpg

marines2.jpg

marines1.jpg

cheers everbody and no snide comments from you Delta Navy Parajumping Marine Ranger SEALs out there :P

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your interested in the subject (and you obviously are) go for it mate. Very distinctive camo pattern and uniform that probably nobody else in the UK would probably be wearing.

FYI - in this months Combat & Survival mag there's a photo report of a joint Royal -French Marine training exercise which you might be interested in.

I believe that the helmets the French use are Spectra helmets (not 100% certain but I think thats what they are) There's always French surplus stuff on USMC's website as they are part French based too http://www.usmcpro.com

Don't take this as French-bashing, but since surrendering to the Germans, I think France is trying to prove to the world that they aren't the ummm.. putties, that we thought they were. So with that in mind, is it just me, or do the French Marines look freakin badass?! Seriusly! That is one of the coolest, meanest loadouts I've seen.

And they really don't look like the kind of guys that need that white flag kit.

And seriously, why is the first reply on this forum French-bashing? Leave em alone. That was what 60-some years ago? Most of the people that fought there are dead by now. And obviously the new generation of French Soldier is not really an easy target for humiliation.

Aaron

seriously, the French Army nowadays is seriously hardcore. Just check out those pics I linked to if you don't believe me.

Thanks for the link Geronimo, should come in handy :D

awesome responses guys, totally not what I was expecting :) thanks for proving me wrong.

apart from ferg, to whom I say this:

comein.jpg

There's an article in C&S this month about the French Marines and Royal Marines cross training. They looks as bad-*albatross* as you expect any NATO to be. Very similar to us as well; no armour, rubbish radios, beltkits for goalposts etc. An easy-ish impression to do I should think, with the power of mail order :)

Don't do berets. Do cr@p hats. Berets are for when the Press are there. Get a jungle hat for a Marine impression. In this article I'm reading, some of them don't even bother with headgear :) The Frogs look like they're more used to heat than us. I guess their summer lasts longer than 2 weeks :P

Great unique idea. Since I recieved my famas, I've been contemplating doing a foreign legion impression. I'd guess it'd be fairly cheap and would definately stand out from the us woodland and armalite crowd. Please let us know when you get your kit together, I'd love to see some pics of it. :)

I have many issues of the French magazine RAIDS - while I don't have the articles focusing on the Marines, I have many a picture of French soldiers if you're interested in kit reference, as they all seem to wear basically the same stuff.

And if you think these guys look badass, wait till you see the Legion.

marines8.jpg

i'd love to see someone go to airsoft like that (only with gogles) you would get an arm full of bruises

good idea about the french, we got to many yank soldiers, and not much else.

hell i am english MIL SIM, and we are the minoraty, in england!!

actually, thats not how it works.

everybody, as of now, keep your filthy racist comments to yourselves. Every time we get some damn fool coming along with some outrageous pieces of bigotry to share, and who then says, "but its just a bit of fun!", is encouraging other people to think in bigoted ways.

If we allow that sort of behaviour on these boards, no matter how it is meant, we condone, encourage, and legitimise it.

well screw that. If you have a problem with the french, stemming from a complete, childish inability, I do not doubt, to grasp the fact that THIS IS NOT A PLAY GROUND, keep it to yourself, in the same way I would DEMAND people keep their derisive comments about ANY nation or race or gender to themselves.

Anyone who STILL feels it necessary to disobey these fairly explicit order by posting further scarcely-concealed xenophobia on these boards WILL have their posting ability disabled, pending a complete ban.

OK? everyone on the same bloody page? anybody think I'm joking?

back on topic, please, or I lose my temper.

Ok...

But yes, the French Armee de Terre look very similar to us in terms of basic efficiency. Like TMC said, if you gave me a set of CE-pattern combats and a FAMAS, I could probably rustle up enough stuff to look passable as a French soldier :)

I was looking at the photos of the French Marines this morning, and apart from the pattern and rifle, you could easily confuse British and French SF's at a distance.

The only question is how authentic you want to be, because if you want to wear what they wear, getting hold of French gear is going to be a little trickier. USMC catalogue and a crash-course in basic written French on the Internet should see you alright though B)

And good luck! It's always cool to see an impression start, and hopefully one day conclude :)

Re: the American impression. Those dudes spend a lot of time and money on making their kit look just so. It's easy to bash them, but a set of French cammies and an olive SAAV do not an impression make. If you're going to do it, do it 100%, *then* bash all the PJ look-a-likes ;)

SAAV? booooooo! I'm going for authenticity here - luckily USMC have the French webbing in the catalogue (as well as marines cap badges :D)

as for the article in C&S, I had a glance at it in Smiths today and it didn't seem to have anything I couldn't have found out from the photo's I've already gleaned.

fair do's on the US gear, doc - it's just mildly annoying to see more people dressed up as rangers or whatever than were wearing DPM's on a British field <_<

Can anyone reccomend a good site for patches since I'm definitely going to want one so I don't have to keep explaining who I'm imitating to the uninitiated :D

whoops, posted that a bit late, didn't I? sorry :)

offer for banage still applies, if anyone wants to take me up on it? no?

well, ok... :(

I do like the french look- if they'd update the MAS a bit so it would be able to compete with NE's rather farcical "laws" about upgrading AEGs, I'd go with a french loadout straight away.

Screwschom, I've seen that pic too. I think it's actually an action figure ;)

I saw the pics on militaryphotos but the problem is they're all very small and it doesn't say anything about what unit they're from. Was a good starting point in looking at webbing and such though :)

EDIT: got the bloke's name right at least :rolleyes:

Archived