I think I just got ripped. :(

How can the police help? Which police do I contact?(I'm asking this b/c I live in Missouri right now, but I bought the money order in NE and have family that still live there.....my local Missouri PD? the Lincoln, NE PD? Can I actually get my money back? It is a Western Union Money Order if that helps and I do have the receipt, anybody else I should contact? Thanks for all the help guys.

Have you checked to see if the money order was actually cashed? Thats a simple call to the Western Union office. If it hasn't and you're really concerned, simply put a stop payment on the Money Order, and you'll be able to get your money back in a few days.

Have you checked to see if the money order was actually cashed? Thats a simple call to the Western Union office. If it hasn't and you're really concerned, simply put a stop payment on the Money Order, and you'll be able to get your money back in a few days.

Can you do that? If you can, yes, do that right away.

Of course, Money Order is effectively cash in single paper form. The only recourse you really have is a stop payment. However you do get the nice happy ability to see if the check is cashed, and if it has, you then have direct evidence of your completed payment, thus YOUR side of the transaction is complete, you have formal record of it (signed check).

Well, first you'd need to know if the money order has been cashed yet... If it has you can then contact your postal inspector with all the information including relevant emails, names, receipt, et al. He'll do a lost package check (just SOP if I remember correctly) and then start his investigation.

U guys i'm sorry to say this but i really don't think the cops or any higher authority are gunna do anything to help u, what with all the murders :)

Even with emails, receipts ect, if u actually prosecuted this person u wouldn't win the battle. U dont have PROOF that she was at her computer typing those things. All she has to say is that she wasnt the one typing the emails. Even if she did cash the check in her name that doesnt mean she stole the money from u, because she could say u sent it to her.

if she saying it wasn't her making the emails and says that she got the check from u but didn't know u wanted anything for it (or something like that), that puts her in the "reasonable doubt" zone and she will get off.

If she ripped u off there isnt really anything u can do about it. Its just like on ebay but with even less chance of getting your money back.

ou can always take the matter into your own hand. rolleyes.gif

And by that I mean to hire a private investigator to collect evidence, and hire a good lawyer to sue her in court. Of course, this may not be cost effective. tongue.gif

Ultimatly that would cost more money then what your item was worth.

Sounds like you got screwed.

Highly unlikly the police will get involved since, this is a out of state matter. Even if you were to take it into court it wouldn't we worth all trouble. Taken into regard how much court will cost and all the added fees.

bets thing to do is learn from your mistakes and not make them over in the future.

Paypal is the best way to be safe via internet transactions.

If you had done this via paypal you could easily retract since, the shipper never sent it out and they wouldn't have any confirmation of payment. Leading to the proven fact of a scam.

Also, whenever someone says that they want the money sent to someone other then themselves it is usually a scam.

Furthermore, whenever someone pays you more money then the item is wirth and tells you to send them the deductible back that is also usually a scam.

just some heads up for next time.

Not everyone is a thief on the internet.

anyhow... good luck with everything.

Im going to tell you that the address you sent your MO to. Is just a shipping department. Its not a house address instead its a place where you go ship and receive stuff. Basically you're screwed unless you could track the damn MO (it has a receipt give them a call and see if they cashed it) Try to file for Mail Fraud but you dont have a definate address. And third just plain give up. I lost 600 dollars that way and never got it back. I Best to learn from mistakes. Never ship anythign to a address that doesnt look like a house address.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Even with emails, receipts ect, if u actually prosecuted this person u wouldn't win the battle.  U dont have PROOF that she was at her computer typing those things.  All she has to say is that she wasnt the one typing the emails.  Even if she did cash the check in her name that doesnt mean she stole the money from u, because she could say u sent it to her.

um... I definitely disagree with this. If you send the president an email saying you're going to kill him, secret service will come to your house and haul you to jail. You're responsible for the emails you send out even if you dont type them. That's why passwords were invented. AND I know this for a fact because a couple years ago when clinton was president, a few kids thought it would be "funny" to pull a dumb prank like that and they actually emailed the president. Next morning, secret service agents were at the exact computer the kids had sent the email from.

edit: and this happened at my high school and my computer teacher, who also happened to be the teacher for these kids witnessed this. so its no laughing matter.

Archived