Preventative maintenence

demon.b

Ok, I've been reading all the 'how to..' stuff available, but what I would like to know from the experienced 'techies is:

When you get a new gun, what do you consider to be neccessary preparation and preventative work to ensure the longevity of a gun you intend to skirmish with?

Following on from this, how do you develop your upgrade plan, do you have a set routine, applied to every gun, or do you take each gun on its own capability and intended use and modify accordingly?

Are there upgrades (bearing in mind the 1J/328fps limit) you consider essential, and others that are simply 'shiney thing syndrome'?

I'm primarily concerned with AEGs at the moment, but equally any GBB wisdom would be appreciated. If there are any links I've missed with my searching, could you point them out.

Thanks in anticipation

Demon

Actually quite a tough one this.

When I got my CA MP5 I had to strip it all the way down and rebuild it again.

Basically, I found a few loose screws and paranoia dictated that I had to check there weren't any more. As it turned out, I found that there were loose screws in the gearbox as well.

Assuming your gun's been put together properly in the first pace then a quick blast of silicon oil up inside the magwell should be all the maintenance your gun needs for a few thousand shots.

This is sort of obvious. But, it is worth a mention, upgrade wise:

Make sure you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

Most people dont with most things, but read instructions through first (if you can find them) and work out all the tools youll need.

Make sure you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

Maitenance wise:

Silicon will be fine as hissing sid said

It depends entirely on the gun and what that particular model needs to make it bullet-proof.

For example, a KWA Glock 23f will always get its rocket valve upgraded when I first get it because that is a known weakness.

If it were a Maruzen MP5k GBB though, I would round off the corners on the metal bolt, install a washer on the blowback return spring, replace the cylinder/nozzle, sharpen the mag-latch, dig out part of the body to allow the mag-latch to seat deeper, and grease the rails on the slide.

If it were an ICS MP5 AEG, I would replace the tappet-plate and HOP-Rubber, and remove the safety-trigger-block.

As you can see, it is wildly different depending on what the gun is. You don't need to be an expert on that particular gun to make preventative modifications, but you do need to have a good feel for how things fit together, come apart and interface with their connected components. You also need to be able to think a few steps ahead to determine how your modifications will affect other parts in the gun...

For example, adding the washer to the blowback return spring in the Maruzen MP5k GBB increases the stress on the bolt, so the corners need to be rounded down a bit to spread the stresses over a wider area and avoid cracks.

Basically, play with the gun, see what needs doing and spend at least 10 minutes looking and thinking before you try anything, although greasing, lubing, and tightening of loose screws is often just a no-brainer.

Hope that helps ;)

Archived