New US Army ACU Clothing

Mouse

Just curious if anyone had seen the new US pattern gear, they're called Army Combat Uniforms. Nice and simple.

Quite a few new elements other than the pattern; such as the fit, the untucked kinda look, the suade (no need to polish/dry clean) boots and the mandarin colar.

They say it's supposed to be multi enviroment and has eliminated the use of black in the pattern, which I think is a good thing. The only question I do have is, don't you think multicam (however similar it is) would be more ideal? Crye's field designs (multicam gear) are more or less the same in terms of fit and design, but the shade of the camo seems to be more appropriate for use in all enviroments, like they were aiming for.... Well that's just my opinion and I love the stuff. . . . Anyone else think that?

Here's an article and photo on it. It's all I've found so far...

http://slate.msn.com/id/2106359/fr/rss/

Anyway what are your opinions? Dya like it?

Wont think make all our US Woodland BDU's look dated and old?! Oh noes! :P

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...&highlite=arpat

I like it. Apparently (and I wouldn't know about this), concealment isn't the No.1 priority of the US Army these days. If the pattern provides some level of camouflage, and isn't too conspicuous, it's fine for the role in which it was intended. By producing a 'universal' pattern, it takes a lot of pressure off the logistics end of things.

But anyway, I think it looks good in desrt terrain at least, and we'd better get used to seeing it more often B)

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...&highlite=arpat

I like it. Apparently (and I wouldn't know about this), concealment isn't the No.1 priority of the US Army these days. If the pattern provides some level of camouflage, and isn't too conspicuous, it's fine for the role in which it was intended. By producing a 'universal' pattern, it takes a lot of pressure off the logistics end of things.

But anyway, I think it looks good in desrt terrain at least, and we'd better get used to seeing it more often B)

And Urban btw... Well at least it's comfortable and you'd probably invisible in night. Ever seen tabby cats playing around in the grass at night? Same color scheme I'd say.

Yeah I guess so. Nonetheless, I love my multicam...

I like the idea of a kinda greyish uniform with tan boots. And like previously said, it'd be easier to have one uniform to send everywhere..

But previously they only had 3 main uniforms right?

The only enviroment I'v seen ACU working well in is desert and urban enviroment. I think they relized thats the two main enviroments the US army is going to be working in, so woodland must have taken a back seat. But this isn't a political forum. For me I wouldn't wear it, i would stick out in the woodland area I play in. But I do have a set of muticam coming in 10 days *glee* ^_^

Wuhey! lol. What gear is it?

I really want some of Crye's own stuff... Cos it's shiny and nice ;)

But that means waiting quite a while, if it's even released on time.

Spose I'll get some US Woodland to last me in the mean time.

It' not available for commercial sale yet, but you can pick up issue stuff off ebay. The stuff USMCPro have is the old 'All-Terrain' stuff (pretty ######, and to be avoided).

The ACU pattern is a remake, the yanks originally hashed up the first attempt ('All-Terrain') - too grey. So the new stuff, which isn't available yet (except ebay) is more green. It also comes in the enhanced cut shirt straight off - slanted velcro pockets on the chest and upper arms.

I'm going to pre-order some off www.uscav.com, about £130 for a full set (including MICH cover) after postage and tax. I just think it looks awesome, ideal for the urban I'm going to be mostly doing, and totally different to everyone else.

Plus, I need some modern camo to go with the XM8 I'm getting...

Rory

It' not available for commercial sale yet, but you can pick up issue stuff off ebay. The stuff USMCPro have is the old 'All-Terrain' stuff (pretty ######, and to be avoided).

The ACU pattern is a remake, the yanks originally hashed up the first attempt ('All-Terrain') - too grey. So the new stuff, which isn't available yet (except ebay) is more green. It also comes in the enhanced cut shirt straight off - slanted velcro pockets on the chest and upper arms.

I'm going to pre-order some off www.uscav.com, about £130 for a full set (including MICH cover) after postage and tax. I just think it looks awesome, ideal for the urban I'm going to be mostly doing, and totally different to everyone else.

A couple of slight errors there:

ACU = Advanced Combat Uniform (i.e., the style of uniform to replace the old BDU, or Battle Dress Uniform)

ARPAT = ARmy PATtern digital camouflage (which was designed from start to work in all terrains). There are 2 types of ARPAT camo now - the "greyer" first type, which we could call ARPAT 1 for clarity, and the new "greener" type, which we could call ARPAT 2 for clarity.

Both ARPAT 1 and ARPAT 2 are official issue. Its just like when they introduced the BDU - the woodland camo from first production run tended to fade too quickly so they had to make some adjustments to the dyes and production processes. Similar thing has happened with ARPAT - once they started issuing the new ACUs a lot of units complained that it was too grey for a lot of terrains - so they've boosted the green colour.

Either way - its only good for some semi-arid terrains like concrete environments and the state of Wyoming.

A couple of slight errors there:

ACU = Advanced Combat Uniform (i.e., the style of uniform to replace the old BDU, or Battle Dress Uniform)

ARPAT = ARmy PATtern digital camouflage (which was designed from start to work in all terrains).  There are 2 types of ARPAT camo now - the "greyer" first type, which we could call ARPAT 1 for clarity, and the new "greener" type, which we could call ARPAT 2 for clarity.

Both ARPAT 1 and ARPAT 2 are official issue.  Its just like when they introduced the BDU - the woodland camo from first production run tended to fade too quickly so they had to make some adjustments to the dyes and production processes.  Similar thing has happened with ARPAT - once they started issuing the new ACUs a lot of units complained that it was too grey for a lot of terrains - so they've boosted the green colour.

Either way - its only good for some semi-arid terrains like concrete environments and the state of Wyoming.

Yeah, the 'ARPAT 1' stuff you're on about is the 'All-Terrain' stuff that you can buy form most decent gear suppliers. I don't think it was ever officially issued though.

The 'ARPAT 2' stuff is the ACU, and I think it's called ACUPAT.

Generally they all fall under the term BDU anyway. The different cut is called 'Enhanced RS' or something, like the RAID shirts.

Anyway, I've never seen anyone wear any ACU stuff in the UK, but I guess it'll soon turn up someplace. Similar to Multicam, I'd like to see how it fairs in British woodland, and also in CQB. Many people argue desert camo is excellent for dark urban areas, but I can see this being much better than that. Surely Multicam is too light for British woodland, but I've heard some positive remarks about it.

Still awaiting my set, but I've had a close up look at some & I think the cut of the uniform is more practical than the previous BDU's.

Pattern is okay, plain olive drab can be quite effective anyway so I don't think is as much of as issue as some people try to make out.

The following is pretty much my opinion:

Btw, MultiCam rulez :D.

gallery_133_71_2896.jpg

But US Woodland wouldn't be much more effective against that background either. Colour is much less important than movement & shape and everyone ends up brown in the field fairly quickly anyway.

The IDF and other forces have been using quite grey patterns in mixed terrain for many years with reasonable success so I don't believe it will be a huge problem.

Yeah, the 'ARPAT 1' stuff you're on about is the 'All-Terrain' stuff that you can buy form most decent gear suppliers. I don't think it was ever officially issued though.

"All Terrain" is just a generic marketing term for the fact that the camo pattern is supposed to work in all terrains.

ARPAT 1 is just my way of distinguishing between the initial run of uniforms that had a greyer overall coloration. These were issued (I've heard from guys in units that received them), but only on a limited basis. Having served 4 years in the U.S. Army (82nd Airborne Div.) I can tell you that the way they normally introduce any new equipment is to hand it out to a few units initially to see how it performs in actual service - then they may or may not make some slight alterations and then issue it to everybody.

The 'ARPAT 2' stuff is the ACU, and I think it's called ACUPAT.

What I'm calling "ARPAT 2" is the second production run stuff that's being issued to everybody. This has apparently been modified to have a greener overall colour (based on reports from the troops who seen it/got it) than the initial run that was issued on a limited basis.

The camo pattern was initially referred to as ACUPAT (becuase it was associated with the new ACU uniform), but is actually called ARPAT (ARmy PATtern digital camo). http://www.hyperstealth.com/digital-design/index.htm

Generally they all fall under the term BDU anyway. The different cut is called 'Enhanced RS' or something, like the RAID shirts.

No, BDU is the old 4-pocket safari jacket style uniform. The new uniform design is called ACU (Advanced Combat Uniform). https://peosoldier.army.mil/index.asp?section=acu

Anyway, I've never seen anyone wear any ACU stuff in the UK, but I guess it'll soon turn up someplace.

True. I could have bought some when I was over in the US last week - but as I won't wear it, I didn't bother. :P

looks preety good, any ideas on where they sell it to the public?

Here's a tip, from a recent post in the International Camouflage Uniform Society user group:

A senior officer ... pointed me to the US Cav website and made some joke about doing my fact finding the expensive way (i.e. buying the stuff). I told him about our discussions regarding "official" ACUs vs. commercial. His reply to that was:

"For what it's worth, most people here are buying their ACUs from US Cav ... Draw your own conclusions."

Just curious if anyone had seen the new US pattern gear, they're called Army Combat Uniforms. Nice and simple.

Quite a few new elements other than the pattern; such as the fit, the untucked kinda look, the suade (no need to polish/dry clean) boots and the mandarin colar.

They say it's supposed to be multi enviroment and has eliminated the use of black in the pattern, which I think is a good thing. The only question I do have is, don't you think multicam (however similar it is) would be more ideal? Crye's field designs (multicam gear) are more or less the same in terms of fit and design, but the shade of the camo seems to be more appropriate for use in all enviroments, like they were aiming for.... Well that's just my opinion and I love the stuff. . . . Anyone else think that?

Here's an article and photo on it. It's all I've found so far...

http://slate.msn.com/id/2106359/fr/rss/

Anyway what are your opinions? Dya like it?

Wont think make all our US Woodland BDU's look dated and old?! Oh noes! :P

ilve the kit why doesnt the uk adopt the untucked look its far more prctical

Archived