New US Army ACU Clothing

Mouse

Grabbed this off of the Military Photos . net discussion board: Quoted post is from a serving US Army soldier.

Quote:

We of 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) came back from a JRTC Rotation not too long ago, with a number of the line companies and scouts being given the new ACUs to test out.

The ACU is NOT a field uniform. Its advantages in maintenance are all for the garrison soldier. The fabric is thin and it tears easily, especially around the knees when you're pulling security. The velcro nametapes and patches shrivel up when they get wet. The velcro rank and unit patches are the constant target of stupid games where people tear them off, slap them on upside down, etc. In JRTC they were the favorite target of some of the villagers. In close proximity out there to the local populace out in the sandbox, I can see kids snatching these things off joe one after the other.

I have no complaints about the digital pattern. I have no complaints about the sound or lack of sound the velcro makes. For the line dogs, this is a non-issue. The enemy will hear the attack aviation, the cav scouts, the armor, the long green and tan line of trucks long, long before questions of whether velcro is too loud or no ever become a real issue.

I personally remove every button off my BDUs except my sleeves and those required to close the pants and the front. I had every pocket sewed in. Others use velcro. We did not make these modifications to our DCUs in the sandbox, or even in the few months before we went to the sandbox. It is unthinkable to screw around with a field uniform like that.

The key point is, FIELD UNIFORM. The ACU has a long way to go before it becomes anything close to a workable solution. This smacks of the MOLLE program, with plastic ruck frames that snap on impact and substandard cloth and straps in use everywhere. The ACUs we got are garbage. They might look cool in garrison, but they are not cut out for the field. Neither are the desert tan boots. What is the point of wearing suede tan boots in woods or swamp like JRTC? What would the point of wearing them be in the Korean Peninsula or Central America?

Buttons can be sewn back on easily. Stitching in fishing line works wonders. From personal experience, velcro hooks caked with clay and dirt are worthless. I do not need to make the time to take a toothbrush and go over every velcro surface. I shouldn't have to spend MORE time on what is supposed to be a lower-maintenance uniform in order to perform my missions for the day.

The people who want the velcro can have the velcro, but in the name of uniformity they will have everyone in the field sucking with a uniform designed for the lowest common denominator: The soldier who is too lazy to maintain his uniform in garrison.

Did I by the way mention that after 25 washes, the ACUs have to be turned into supply to re-apply the permethrin bug treatment they come with? And these things cost $88 a set, but aren't available at the vast majority of clothing and sales stores even now? So how come this uniform is designed for the slacker with functions and poor quality fabric that do the field soldier no good?

Because this is the Army of One: Striving for One Low Standard. Let me have my ALICE ruck and my BDUs back.

Sums it all up really....

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am looking for information concerning the permethrin bug treatment on these uniforms. I have not been able to find any informational papers on it as of yet and was wondering if an of you had some. I have been told that these uniforms are pre-treated and do not require further treatment, even after 25 washes as JKT 1 stated in his "quote" above. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P

i don't think its been mentioned but crye's multicam pattern and acu were both in contention for the army's new uniform. its a safe bet to say that someone got blown, paid off or both to approve acu over MC. ACU stand out like an erection in a sorority house

We have adopted this pattern as our team uniform and it works fantastic in the sage and cedar covered arenas in which we play(Utah desert).

Yup, of course it would. Just goes to prove - you gotta match your camo to your environment.

Which is a hell of a lot easier for us Airsofters than it is for the armies of this world.

What it really is is that the army is trying to keep up with the Marines. The Marines came up with the digital camo, a very efective cammo, but they took both woodland and desert. The army couldnt fall behind the Marines so the made there own didital camo, unfortunatly, urban was all thats left, because after all, you can't make a digital Olive Drab BDU. By the way, im a big soporter of the army, over the marines too, but im just telling it lke it is.

Ktulu

Saw an ACU a couple of weeks ago - looks greener than it is in the pics...

I agree. Played with some guys this weekend who used them. Up close, I thought it looked blue-ish, but further away it definitely looked more green than it does in those pictures. We had people on the other team tell us they were wondering "Why are those guys shooting us? They're wearing green!"

There's also supposedly a green revision of the ACU coming out, but I'm hearing different stories about whether this is true or not.

I just hope the Air Force doesn't adopt ACU, right now they're using woodland and black boots, but I did see one of the Army officers today in ACU... it was horrible... have to put one of those "Mr. Yuck" stickers on it from way back when ;)

But I'll stick with my German BDUs, they've held up VERY well over the past couple years... ;)

What it really is is that the army is trying to keep up with the Marines. The Marines came up with the digital camo, a very efective cammo, but they took both woodland and desert. The army couldnt fall behind the Marines so the made there own didital camo, unfortunatly, urban was all thats left, because after all, you can't make a digital Olive Drab BDU. By the way, im a big soporter of the army, over the marines too, but im just telling it lke it is.

Ktulu

Hmm, I've got a soldier friend who insists that the Army came up with what is now MARPAT first, but scrapped the idea, but the Corps liked it and adopted it.

Guess we made digital look so good they had to go back and make themselves some new ones :P

Two Staff Sergeants in my class just got their first set of ACU's and have been wearing them to class all this week. And from what I can tell and what my soldier friend tells me, poags love 'em and grunts hate 'em, for all the reasons quoted earlier. There's supposed to be an article in the newest Army Times about all the problems they've been having and what the Army plans on doing to fix them. Should be interesting to see.

Oh yeah, if the Chair Force adopts that uniform, I will be forced to laugh at my flyboy classmates endlessly :D

www.actiongear.com has had these and all of the other digitals displayed for months...MONTHS, I'm talking since last august. So these are not new to me. But I see a definate improvement. I don't like multi cam as much as I like these "new" "digital" camos.

Hoot

I dunno

I just got fitted for my set of the ACU from the Army. I personally like them. They are much...quicker. The slanted pants pockets for ease of use while crouching is nice. The zipper and the velcro combination really speeds things up. The color is "meh," but the color is not even half the battle. As people have pointed out, it's the pattern that really counts. So in that respect it will be every bit as effective as Marpat as it incorporates the same basic design to break up your outline. And in regards to the color in general, we (meaning the U.S. Army) tend to do many operations at night...hense the greyish color. I admit that the large amounts of velcro are sketchy at best, especially for unit patches and such. But overall i think the design is decently thought out. And the boots of course, i love, i don't have to shine them; i can just run a cleaning brush over them and poof they're done. Also, they are quite comfortable. So there ya have it.

Hmm, I've got a soldier friend who insists that the Army came up with what is now MARPAT first, but scrapped the idea, but the Corps liked it and adopted it.

Well your friend is talking out of his 4th point of contact I'm afraid. He should read this:

http://www.hyperstealth.com/CADPAT-MARPAT.htm

I dunno

I just got fitted for my set of the ACU from the Army.  I personally like them.  They are much...quicker.  The slanted pants pockets for ease of use while crouching is nice.  The zipper and the velcro combination really speeds things up. The color is "meh," but the color is not even half the battle.  As people have pointed out, it's the pattern that really counts.  So in that respect it will be every bit as effective as Marpat as it incorporates the same basic design to break up your outline.  And in regards to the color in general, we (meaning the U.S. Army) tend to do many operations at night...hense the greyish color. I admit that the large amounts of velcro are sketchy at best, especially for unit patches and such.  But overall i think the design is decently thought out.  And the boots of course, i love, i don't have to shine them; i can just run a cleaning brush over them and poof they're done.  Also, they are quite comfortable. So there ya have it.

I think we should listen to this gentleman here.

Got mine, issue (Im a collector, mind you ;) ) and it should be the latest shades of foliage green.

Im in love with this thing, be it camo effective or not, I am attracted to it.

Not using it with the team for now (to play) as we all want to have the same things on, and no one else has it yet. Still, Im posing home with it.

I have experimented a bit taking pictures of it, and finally came down to the conclusion that if you dont set up your camera's white balance (or tempterature) you will not get its true colors. It's amazing how it will change depending on the lighting.

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/686/acu29kd.jpg

One of my airborne buddies on Paratrooper.net posted the article there.

October 17, 2005

Battle worn

Field report shows ACU isn’t holding up; fixes are on the way

By Matthew Cox and Gordon Trowbridge

Times staff writer

CAMP STRYKER, Iraq — The Army Combat Uniform isn’t holding up in combat, say soldiers from the first brigade to deploy to Iraq outfitted in the new garb.

The uniform gets high marks from soldiers for its many pockets and cooler, lightweight, wrinkle-free construction. But soldiers from the Georgia National Guard’s 48th Brigade, which deployed here in May, said torn seams, ripped fabric and worn-out Velcro fasteners are common with the battle attire.

“The crotches rip apart all the time,” said Spc. Tom Parsons, 27, of St. Louis, assigned to the 220th Engineer Company, attached to the 48th Brigade Combat Team.

“Most of the parts that are sewn together are likely to come apart,” said the 220th’s Pfc. David Bradbury, 25, also of St. Louis. “If this came in the same style as the [Desert Combat Uniform], I think I’d rather have that.”

Sgt. 1st Class Gladys Portwine, the supply sergeant overseeing the brigade’s uniform, said the ACUs were expected to last six months in a combat environment. But after about five months of wear by the 48th, including a deployment to the National Training Center in California, the Army began shipping replacements.

Army uniform experts first heard about the problems in July and immediately sent an ACU expert to Iraq for a closer inspection of the wear issues, said Lt. Col. John Lemondes, Product Manager Clothing and Individual Equipment.

Since then, the Army has worked with the firms contracted to make the ACU to ensure soldier-identified weak points are fixed for future fielding.

“We have identified the shortcomings, and we have addressed them,” Lemondes said in an Oct. 7 interview.

Dave Geringer, assistant product manager for CIE, said the ACUs were issued to the 48th in February and durability has proven to be in line with uniform experts’ projections.

The Army’s first new combat uniform since the 1980s, the ACU is to replace the woodland-patterned Battle Dress Uniform and the Desert Combat Uniform by 2008.

The fabric in the ACU is the same 50/50 nylon and cotton blend used in the DCU, except for the wrinkle-resistant treatment. The ACU includes 18 major changes from those uniforms, including Velcro attachments for name tapes and patches; more and repositioned pockets; a camouflage pattern made up of tiny pixels designed for all environments; and a light, wrinkle-resistant fabric.

The Army issued about 500,000 sets of ACUs to deploying soldiers, but it’s unclear how many of those uniforms will develop similar problems, Geringer said.

Soldiers must rely on sew-shop fixes and replace their uniforms through their unit supply system for now, he said.

Soldiers from the 48th raised several issues — good and bad —concerning the new uniform.

They like the wrinkle-resistant material, which holds up even after long days in hot, unpleasant conditions. The redesigned pockets, especially the angled chest pockets and a new pants pocket on the calf, also are popular.

“Short term, it’s a great uniform,” said Spc. Michael Harrison of the 220th.

Still, durability issues dominate conversations about the uniform. Brig. Gen. Stewart Rodeheaver, the 48th’s commander, calls the ACU “the best uniform I’ve ever worn,” but he concedes durability problems.

“When we got here, we got ahead of the supply chain a little bit,” said Rodeheaver, who added that officers have noticed wear on thigh cargo pockets where sidearm holsters rub against the fabric.

“They’re just not as durable,” said Capt. David Casey, a member of the 48th’s training team for Iraqi forces. “A lot of guys have had the crotches ripped.”

The crotches rip open along the seam that runs between the bottom of the fly and the seam that runs down the leg, Geringer said.

To mend the problem, manufacturers will use a heavier thread for the seam, increase the amount of folded-under fabric before sewing and adjust stitching placement, Geringer said.

“The result is that we more than doubled the strength of that seam just by making those changes.”

Soldiers also have complained about Velcro material wearing out and coming loose, and about patches and other items being knocked off the Velcro when putting on or removing body armor.

Geringer said changes have been made to the Velcro’s hook and loop fastener material to upgrade the way the edges are finished to improve durability. Improvements also were made to ensure fasteners don’t fade as quickly and will stay attached better under hard use.

“We are listening to soldiers,” Geringer said.

Lt. Col. Jeff Edge, commander of the 148th Forward Support Battalion, said he switched from a thigh holster to a shoulder holster to avoid wear on his ACU pockets.

“We’ve had some durability issues,” said Edge, who noted that he nevertheless still prefers the ACU’s lighter fabric and easy care.

Casey said some soldiers also have had extra wear and tear in and around built-in pockets for knee and elbow pads.

Despite the problems, Casey said, “There are tons of places to store stuff. And the best thing is, no laundry bill. You can basically roll them up in a ball and they come out fine.”

Portwine, the 48th’s supply sergeant, said acquiring replacement ACUs initially was a challenge, but the supply system kicked in to replace worn uniforms earlier than planned.

Rodeheaver and 48th Command Sgt. Maj. James Nelson said the Army has paid attention to problems the brigade has discovered, and improvements already have been made to make pockets more durable.

Nelson, who has a monthly conversation with program officials on the uniform and other equipment topics, said he’s confident Army officials will fix the uniform.

“The second and third generations will be better,” he said. “That’s the way uniforms work — that’s the way any of our systems works.”

Staff writer Matt Cox reported from Springfield, Va.

I think we should listen to this gentleman here.

Got mine, issue (Im a collector, mind you ;) ) and it should be the latest shades of foliage green.

Im in love with this thing, be it camo effective or not, I am attracted to it.

Not using it with the team for now (to play) as we all want to have the same things on, and no one else has it yet. Still, Im posing home with it.

I have experimented a bit taking pictures of it, and finally came down to the conclusion that if you dont set up your camera's white balance (or tempterature) you will not get its true colors. It's amazing how it will change depending on the lighting.

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/686/acu29kd.jpg

You are right, I've been experimenting with different lighting on ACU as well. It's a chameleon! :huh: But the one you have pictured there looks like Gen 2 ACU to me. It's the same one I have - I believe there's Gen 3 out now, which has even darker green. The Gen 3 still looks green even in direct sunlight. I have a set of these "supposed Gen 3" coming in soon. Hope it is indeed different - will be interesting to see the difference in person. Gen 2 looks green while indoors, in darker areas ... but in sunlight it still looks greyish.

HA!

Thanks for telling me that. Any source for 3rd gen issue ACU then?

EDIT: Anyway, showed the pic to a couple US soldiers that would confirm mine is latest issue (and it does actually stay "foliage green" under the sunlight).

Not to insist on this, haha, not a problem if it isnt ;) (many currently deployed soldiers still have older versions right now!)

Just for I - but all of us interested - need to find out about all the details as best as we can, so please, if you have info and images please post.

It would be nice a set of comparative images showing all the transitions, taken to issue uniforms.

You can tell a uniform is issue if it has the famous "NSN" number inside.

Archived