Being a Sunday night, and very dull, I decided to shoot something. What to shoot? Well, why not the set of glasses that came with my WELL P90? Kinda a serious point, as I was interested to see if they were actually skirmish worthy. So, I gassed up a load of guns and got ready to let rip. All bbs were .2g and were fired from a range of about ten feet, then decreasing as I walked closer to the target, eventually firing point blank. Images are linked to, as they can be rather large, especially if you're on dialup. :)Glasses shown here.

First of, I let rip with my Maruzen PPK. Using 134a, I emptied the 22 round magazine. I haven't chrono'd this gun, but on 134a, the packaging states it should be capable of 220 fps. The results were surprising: nothing happened. The glasses seemed unaffected. Glasses after being shot with PPK shown here.

Surprised by this, I pulled out a KWA Glock 19, with a Glock 17 magazine. This time, green gas was used. I haven't chrono'd this, but see no reason why it should offer anything other than standard G19 performance. Despite this, the glasses remained intact. Glasses after being shot with Glock shown here.

Next, I drew my TM Hi Capa, newly fitted with a metal slide. 31 rounds on green gas were aimed and dispatched at the glasses. This gun has been chrono'd at 310 fps in weather a little warmer than this evening. I'd guess the gun was firing at around the 300 mark. The glasses didn't care. Glasses after being shot with Hi Capa shown here.

Finally, I drew the Tanaka SAA. On green, this has chrono'd at 310+ fps. Eighteen rounds were fired. The results were surprising, to say the least. After the first six shots, one of the arms broke off. The other followed a few shots later. Despite this, the lenses themselves were fine. I believe that the glasses were shoved backwards into the metal bar visible in one picture, and this was too much for the join where the arm meets the glasses. One arm had merelt come out of the sockets and could be reattached, whilst the other had actually broken. Glasses after being shot with SAA shown here.

So, what can I conclude from this? Well, these glasses might make actually be uesable in a skirmish. They're certainly good enough for plinking in the backyard with low power guns. As such, they are more than adequate for the guns they're given away with.

Kit used: Glasses were from a Well P90. A TM Hi Capa with metal slide, a KWA Glock 19 with metal slide, and a TM speed loader were carried in a Viper tactical belt (£15 from SWAT South West Airsoft Trading). A Tanaka Colt SAA Civilian Heavy Weight was carried in a Viper drop leg holster (again, £15 from SWAT) worn backwards on my left thigh for left hand use. A Maruzen Walther PPK was carried in my back pocket (not shown.) HFC Green Gas and Abbey 134a both £8 from Airsoft Armoury. Goldfire .2 bbs can't remember how much, or where from. :blush:Kit used shown here.

:zorro:

...and were fired from a range of about ten feet, then decreasing as I walked closer to the target, eventually firing point blank.

You mean you walked forward until you could actually hit the glasses? :P

Seriously, interesting stuff.

Must admit, I'm not keen to shoot my nice new V-Force mask in case it marks the fancy iridium colouring. :D

So I shot it from thi inside. ;)

I think we need more reviews of glasses/goggles/masks. Who wants to pay for new kit, THEN find out if it's any good? Come on people, review your face protection!

Oh, and the only challenge was hitting the glasses with the SAA. .2s are a little light for its hop, and the sights are... basic. :D

:zorro:

Nice little review there *Sledge. I've got a pair of yellow goggles that i got with my first SPAS 12 years ago. They've withstood 5 shells of 30 round triple whammy blasting from 10 feet, 5 feet and point blank. Only sign is that there's a slight scratch on the lenses, but apart from that...

* Grrr...no-one likes a smart ar- <_<

Edited by rhino

Cheapo shooting glasses? How about these:

Daisy shooting glasses

It was the summer of 2004, and Dave was enjoying a long holiday in Florida. One day he decided he needed some groceries (you cant survive off disneyland food alone.) So off he popped to walmart. When he arrived at the gun section he spotted a pair of shooting glasses for $4.75, so he bought them.

*cut scenes of a couple more happy weeks in florida.*

... to cut a long story short, I got these "daisy shooting glasses" back home, and me and my friends tested them at the GZ weekender 2004. These glasses took several 500 fps sniper rounds at point blank, plus several mags from a 350 fps AEG and didnt even scratch. Well up to the job, I'd say.