XM8

JJBennett

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's one of several rifles considered for replacement of the M16, if indeed replacement happens at all.

The trials are still underway, and I guess the DoD wants to make sure it gets this one right. There is a lot of conjecture and hearsay surrounding the OICW at present, so it's best to just take any new rumours with a pinch of salt :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM8

Whilst Wikipedia is the most accurate source of info, it is updated regularly, and contains all the info in one place. Apparently the M320 has already been approved, and so that at least will be replacing the M203 it seems.

It's one of several rifles considered for replacement of the M16, if indeed replacement happens at all.

The trials are still underway, and I guess the DoD wants to make sure it gets this one right. There is a lot of conjecture and hearsay surrounding the OICW at present, so it's best to just take any new rumours with a pinch of salt :)

They want to make sure that some American rifle wins... with other words a AR15 design... :rolleyes:

Apparently the M320 has already been approved, and so that at least will be replacing the M203 it seems.

Jipp it has :)

http://www.hkdefense.us/corporate/media/pdf/GLMPR051205.pdf

If I had to bet I would say, the FN SCAR would be adopted by SOCOM and maybe in limited quatities in other branches and the HK416 replacing the M4/M16's.

If i had to bet I would say that some US manufacurers (maybe Colt with its "M5") will knock-off H&Ks ideas, offer a cheapish and crappy alternative and the US Armed Forces will buy this ###### because it's American... same procedure as always :rolleyes:

I say that barrett's contender, the m468 is more likely than H&K's upper receiver.

Seriously, after Somalia, and after soldiers looting AK's from the middle of the previous century(edit: In Iraq), I think they will understand that they need something bigger.

If i had to bet I would say that some US manufacurers (maybe Colt with its "M5") will knock-off H&Ks ideas, offer a cheapish and crappy alternative and the US Armed Forces will buy this ###### because it's American... same procedure as always  :rolleyes:

QFT.

actually the SA80 is a better rifle than the M16 as it is more reliable and accurate :P

Actually, the SA80/L85 is essentially a AR-18 in bullpup config.

So it's still an *generic Americanski assault rifle*.

man, thats all our army needs, an OICW. That thing must weigh 20 pounds! In my opinion, they should just drop that idea. The XM8 is a good idea because, according to what I read, the XM8 can be fired one handed, is light weight, and there is a low amount of recoil, yet high accuracy. Plus it looks cool too :)

Dunno what I will be using in my future, hmmm, the mystery :blink:

Well the XM8 offers a few improvements over the G36, like the optics, the PCAPs (Picatinny Combat Attachment Points), Enhanced magzaine catch and bolt catch, improved stock etc. but I'm pretty sure the main reason is the US want something unique. I don't think they will adopt the XM8, because it's not American (and it's ways to good for being the US stadard issue assault rifle) but I'm sure it's the best gun-design in the current competition.

man, thats all our army needs, an OICW. That thing must weigh 20 pounds! In my opinion, they should just drop that idea. The XM8 is a good idea because, according to what I read, the XM8 can be fired one handed, is light weight, and there is a low amount of recoil, yet high accuracy. Plus it looks cool too :)

Dunno what I will be using in my future, hmmm, the mystery :blink:

I think the OICW project was dropped a while ago. The XM8 originated from it.

Omg, just update the M16. XM8 might have lots of great features but it looks ugly as s*it. If the Army adopted the OICW I would kill myself. It is a box that kills.

I say pick the G36 series, or update the AR series.

Oh, get off the *beep* 9mm Berreta, go back to the .45. Best US sidearm ever made. Soldiers are complaining it takes more than 1 shot to put most down if not hit in the head. Not with the good old .45.

H&K is still competing for the FCR contract. Whether the XM8 will be adopted as the M8 is still anyones guess. While the HK416 is impressive one has to wonder whether the fact that you have to remove the quad rail to clean the piston will pose itself as a possible detractor.

I wonder if HK copied POF-USA's P415/416 C.R.O.S. (Corrosion Resistent Operating System) for the HK416 as they are awfully similar (POF is a HK parts distributor too.). Though rather handier the C.R.O.S.'s piston is accessible from the front of the gas block.

I agree that the XM8 rifle looks fugly, but their compact carbine looks pretty stylish for a PDW.

I'd have to say if they made an XM8 Compact Carbine and MP7 in airsoft, I'd have a hard time deciding which to go for.

And they should definitely go back to the .45. The Berreta is fine for police officers, but nothing fills the role of assault pistol so perfectly as the .45.

I think the OICW project was dropped a while ago.  The XM8 originated from it.

Nope it was just split in an assault rilfe (XM8) and a grenade launcher component(XM25 if I remeber it correctly, because the OICW or XM29 isn't possible to do with the current technology. It will be combined later again when technology is more advanced.

Omg, just update the M16. XM8 might have lots of great features but it looks ugly as s*it. If the Army adopted the OICW I would kill myself. It is a box that kills.

I say pick the G36 series, or update the AR series.

You can update the AR series as often as you can afford it, it'll be still a crappy gun. Get rid of it. Also look isn't a relevant criteria for an assault rifle and it's highly subjective which gun looks good and which looks bad.

Oh, get off the *beep* 9mm Berreta, go back to the .45. Best US sidearm ever made. Soldiers are complaining it takes more than 1 shot to put most down if not hit in the head. Not with the good old .45.

The biggest problem of the M9 isn't the calibre, the problem is that it's made cheapish and crappy in the USA. Compare the Original Beretta 92F with the standard issue M9... it's a bad joke.

Sure a bigger calibre offers more stopping power, but that's only one factor in a complex equation. Shot placement is more important than calibre IMHO. Nevertheless a bigger calibre isn't the solution of all problems. Train and educate your soldiers better and don't recruit 17 year old dumb nuts without high-school promotion for the Armed Forces.

I wonder if HK copied POF-USA's P415/416 C.R.O.S. (Corrosion Resistent Operating System) for the HK416 as they are awfully similar (POF is a HK parts distributor too.). Though rather handier the C.R.O.S.'s piston is accessible from the front of the gas block.

I think it's the other way arround, the POF system was announced a few month after the HKM4 was first time shown at a gun show as far as I remember it. Bad timing maybe, the systems are similar but not identical so it's also likley that two companies had the same idea at the same time.

I know alot are being considered but once a rifle is passed itll be a long while before the army is completely outfitted with it. ie once their pulled out the gulf id assume.. i doubt theyll wanna be training guys on a new weapon while their already fighting.

Also IMO i doubt theyll pick the OICW(forgive me if i got the wrong order for the letters :) ) but although it is veryhigh tech its just too cumbersome to replace the M16. I could understand giving everyone an XM8 and then giving 1 or two men per squad the PICW but i doubt it taking over.

EDIT:Spelling

I think it's the other way arround, the POF system was announced a few month after the HKM4 was first time shown at a gun show as far as I remember it. Bad timing maybe, the systems are similar but not identical so it's also likley that two companies had the same idea at the same time.

That the HKM4 was designated the HK416 after the introduction of the C.R.O.S. in DSA's GTC seems like something of a strange coincidence then no? ;)

Archived