Necro posting in Sales

Lately, don't know why, there seem to be a lot of old Sale threads getting dug up. As a cheapskate who watches the Sale forum avidly, it's kinda annoying to have to wade through threads dating back to when the new forums came online. Could Sale threads maybe be automatically locked if nothing has been posted in them for, say, a week? They'd still turn up in a search, so people could PM the seller direct if they find the thread three months later.

:zorro:

Well, it'd be the best if the sellers can give a mod a shout whenever the sales item is sold or becomes unavailable (this can be easily done by clicking on the "Report" button in the thread, and simply say "sold"). However, any sales that are not reported are assumed to be still available, and I don't have any problems with people browsing through the sale forum and finding something interesting to them that's not closed and asking about it.

With that said, it is to the potential buyer's benefit to contact the seller directly through PM because the seller might not be watching his ad that's two months old.

I think that the one week period is somewhat short, in my opinion. From experience of selling AK parts, there can be a lull for a few weeks, followed by someone suddenly mailing and wanting the lot. That wouldn't have had a chance to happen if the one week rule was in effect. I also suspect the one week thing would simply result in a lot of sellers re-listing their items so as to continue having the sales open.

Shao's seems the best solution for the moment - it just requires the co-operation of everyone involved :) .

In some instances, a check on the member who posted would show they hadn't been here in months, either. Plus, I've yet to see one of these threads get a response. All it does is make it harder to find threads where people are actually selling something.

I realise this would create more work, but maybe after a week, a mod could PM the seller to ask if the thread should remain open? Maybe there could be a few Sales-only mods to deal with it. It would also save Rhino having to constantly post "Please post and asking price. Forum rules." ;)

Oh, and shouldn't a seller post when everything is sold?

My point exactly. I'm not criticising, because I know how much time moderating these forums takes up, but maybe having a mod or two specifically for each forum area could help ease the strain?

Oh, and I don't think I'd be great as a Sales mod.

Seller: For sale, WA Beretta, good condition, £75.

Sledge: Totally ludicrous price, you can ask 75p and a packet of Rolos, as long as you're prepared to pay postage.