Navy SEAL Pictures/Discussion Pt.1

hippiehater44

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Notice he said "for me".

I think it's perfectly fine if he nitpicks if it's a good enough reason for him. Just because we (including myself) don't care about pouches matching exactly, we've no right to criticize him for wanting them all to match. He's explained perfectly clearly the reason why he'd like all the pouches to match.

In fact, while I'll agree that most military won't have perfectly matching pouches, some of the fun as an airsofter is the hunt or the search for that perfect piece of gear that you'd like to complete your impression. I'd probably be doing the same as christhesecond if I had the same budget ;).

I do like the vest setup, btw, t3hdesertfox.

Fair enough. I can understand that. I just took it more as him (christhesecond) telling him (t3hdesertfox) how he (t3hdesertfox) should change his own loadout. Like he was telling him it was wrong. Damn, intardnets!

Anyways, I just want to commend everyone on their attempts. I have gained tons of inspiration and ideas from he photos posted here.

RE: Chemlights, whilst watching a documentary the other day, a safe route through an IED filled platau was marked with green cyalumes. Not strictly relevant as you would obviously need a lot, but getting across the point that there are many uses for them.

Yup, they can be used for a ton of stuff...including parties I guess. I know there's no "proper" way to carry or use one, but we never wore them...we always kept them in the package, inside a pocket (this was back in the 90's...things change). Even inside the package, they are extremely bright...I've sometimes seem them taped up with only the ends exposed and they were easy to spot with NODs from the air. I think I read somewhere that folks would sometimes poke a small hole in the package and not to expose the entire thing...would probably make a nice target if someone had one lit on their chest (same with the IR ones).

And don't forget, we always ALWAYS carried enough batteries to power them or avi chief will crush your balls :)

More old gear part 3...the old SPIE rig for rapid extraction. Superseded the STABO, PALMER, and JOES rig. I think the modern one has a longer bridle and is more light weight.

SPIE1.jpg

SPIE2.jpg

The buckles makes this old version a bit heavy, but can comfortably be worn under all gear and can come on/off quickly:

SPIE3.jpg

Booey, hey I wanted to thank you for showing off some of the older gear. I know it often times gets overshadowed by the more contemporary stuff. But all this stuff is awesome you're showing because A) it's been used and B) it's not the stuff we see every day again and again.

Hi thanks! I finally got myself a digital camera of my own (yeah, yeah, I know) so I went a little nuts...I'll try to get someone willing to wear the whole smelly lot so everything can be in one shot. Maybe make a new post in the "Period-Specific Gear" section to keep things organized.

Thanks again!

This is my ERDL collection. Two teammates helping with posing, since it's easier to show the whole collection that way. The only reproduction piece is tiger stripe beret.

ERDLold.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Nice kit, but I've got one question: why is one of the guys wearing a Cpl. insignia?

The patches were sewn on when I got these uniforms. I've had no heart to take them away, since they're original surplus. That's why these sets are not very accurate as Seal loadouts.

I think they look pretty good.

Try looking into getting a Natick flotation coat or a period UDT vest over the utility uniforms (I'm sure there are replicas being made of both these items?)...maybe a Mk22 instead of the revolver? I think it might make the impression even more authentic. Anyhow, looks great!

The patches were sewn on when I got these uniforms. I've had no heart to take them away, since they're original surplus. That's why these sets are not very accurate as Seal loadouts.

Ah, I see. They still look really nice, and the lighting for the pictures is great.

Archived