"Improper Use of Gears: Automatic"

Megalomaniac

*fruitcage* road testing wench from hell failed me because of "Improper Use of Gears : Automatic". I don't get how thats possible, its not like I drove down the *fruitcage* street backwards, I did the 3-pt and Parallel Parking fine. So I won't be going to any skirmishes for another *fruitcage* month. All because this *fruitcage* wench had a *fruitcage* rod up her *albatross*.

Sorry had to vent.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno what its like in the US, but in the UK, there is a limit to how many people can pass a driving test each year- you may just have fallen pray to the cut-off point.

My sister failed her test for this reason-

driving instructor- "take the next left please"

sister- "sure thing"

*turns car into lefthand street*

driving instructor "no, not THIS street"

*puts big fat cross in the "fail!" box*

whereas others pass even if they've rampaged through a shopping centre in reverse and ended up stuck on the escalator, heading towards housewares...

driving instructor- "take the next left please"

sister- "sure thing"

*turns car into lefthand street*

driving instructor "no, not THIS street"

*puts big fat cross in the "fail!" box*

It wasn't the no-entry end of a one-way street was it?

That's one of the common tricks they do to catch you out.

Beyond that, "Improper use of gears: Automatic" probably means you left it in Drive when you should have put it in Park at some point.

Besides that, only fairies drive automatics. :P

nope, it was a perfectly legal maneuvre, that was what really got her goat- she'd not have minded if he'd caught her out, but it was just the sheer arbitrariness of it that was incredible.

Hmmm....

When I took my test the examiner told me to get in the middle lane for a ring-road. He then asked me to turn LEFT. Obviously they want you to go all the way around and then pull off where he said, not cut across other traffic to take the left.

I also know people who've failed because of exactly what you said. Same sort of deal.

Getting a license in the US is wickedly easy. Anyone who ever tried to get one in the UK would cry. Repeatedly. For a very long time. The only thing is, once you get your provisional license, you can't get your proper license for 1 year. In Florida at least.

I have to say I've never, in my entire life, seen more bad drivers than in Medford/Boston. admittedly, the bizarre road systems don't help, but I'm convinced if these drivers had to sit another driving test and passed, the whole system would need demolishing on the spot for being a joke.

really, even driving on motorways, a relatively simple endeavour, is fudging dangerous- these guys can't even keep in their own lane without veering into yours.

How can you have a driving license and NOT keep your car going in a straight line, along a straight road, in between two straight strips of paint.

and this really is every other driver that does this too.

and thats ignoring the people who have no idea about basic road politeness or rules.

it makes me recoil in disgust and disbelief just thinking about it...

Same here Harry. Just the other day I was driving in the worst rain I've ever seen. Apparently, bad rain = retarded drivers here. people would try to get across the road by pulling out in the middle of the opposing lane. :blink:

Constantly people never look in mirrors. People always are cruising in the fast lane, creating a moving roadblock. I usually have to pull over and take a breath before I ram some idiots with my 2 door hatchback. :lol:

the whole certain amount of passes per day is a load of bunk

I know a tester and he says its just a myth, and they only fail people who mess up, lots of my friends passed first time, my test is on fri..

at my local test centre there are only 6 tests per instructor per day, so the whole have to fail five thing is ridiculous

*fruitcage* road testing wench from hell failed me because of "Improper Use of Gears : Automatic". I don't get how thats possible, its not like I drove down the *fruitcage* street backwards, I did the 3-pt and Parallel Parking fine. So I won't be going to any skirmishes for another *fruitcage* month. All because this *fruitcage* wench had a *fruitcage* rod up her *albatross*.

you suck :P

also,

the whole certain amount of passes per day is a load of bunk

I know a tester and he says its just a myth, and they only fail people who mess up

QFT!!!

Oi, Ubar i've played the road test over and over again in my head, i did everything fine, all my turns were fine, my 3pt and parallel were fine, signaled, etc... If I did all that fine Ubar, how did I fail other than "Improper Usege of Gears : Automatic" which was the only thing on the printed out sheet they gave me.

In NY, the instructer marks down what you did wron and at the end of the test it prints out and they hand it back to you along with your permit.

Also Ubar, I've been told by a driver's ed teacher that there is a quota in NY.

From what I understand here in Hawaii, someone I know had a friend that went to one License station, failed three times. Went to another station, failed another three times. Went to a third station, failed another three times.

BUT THE FOURTH ONE...she drove five feet and they passed her. :blink:

Oi, Ubar i've played the road test over and over again in my head, i did everything fine, all my turns were fine, my 3pt and parallel were fine, signaled, etc... If I did all that fine Ubar, how did I fail other than "Improper Usege of Gears : Automatic" which was the only thing on the printed out sheet they gave me.

In NY, the instructer marks down what you did wron and at the end of the test it prints out and they hand it back to you along with your permit.

Also Ubar, I've been told by a driver's ed teacher that there is a quota in NY.

You failed your test, how the *fruitcage* do you know you did everything right? If you was qualified to pass people on their driving tests then maybe I'd belive you.

You failed your test, how the *fruitcage* do you know you did everything right? If you was qualified to pass people on their driving tests then maybe I'd belive you.

Jow, re-read my post, in NY they print out a sheet with what you did wrong and hand it to you, the only thing on mine was "Improper Useage of Gears : Automatic".

BUT if I was using the gears wrong, I would have messed up the 3pt turn and the parallel.

Archived