"Improper Use of Gears: Automatic"

Megalomaniac

I stopped buying fast road bikes when I got nicked for doing "at least 160mph".

The plod worked this out based on the fact that he was doing 150mph in his T5 and he only caught up with me at the next services.

To be fair, though, He gave me a b0llocking and ticketed me for something like 92mph. Can't really say fairer than that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you think Indy cars, F1 cars, etc. Don't have a clutch?

Actually, they have a clutch, and it's just like the one in a normal standard shift car. It's just actuated by a machine and not by a foot. In many cases, by the way, sequential racing cars do have a clutch pedal, but it's only used for starting and stopping. A clutch pedal is very important to use in a racing situation, as it allows you to release and apply power smoothly, as opposed to a powershift where the power will momentarily be released, then suddenly reapplied, the car will be jarred, leading to possible destabilization.

For bikes Hardcore,

CBT's are always done on bikes up to 125cc and once passed, you can ride a bike not greater than that power on the road for up to 2 years at which time your CBT runs out and must be re-taken. Your theroy test is valid for 2 years too.

Full tests and licences

Take your test on a 75-125cc bike with a max speed of 100kmh (a scooter, basically), you get an A1 light motorcycle licence. You can bin the L plates on your scoot, but not ride anything higher than this

Take you test on a 121-125cc bike capable of 100kmh, you are then granted a category A restricted licence, which limits you to bikes up to 25kw (approx 33bhp) This can be any bike, even a 1000cc Sports bike as they can be mechanically and electronically restricted to meet the requirements (theres a power to weight limit too of 0.16kw/kg) After 2 years, you can ride any machine. You cannot escape this if you are under 21.

Take your test on a high powered bike (at least 35kw, approx 57bhp) and you can ride any machine. You must be over 21 to do this.

Can you guess what I'm training to do as a job?

Internet pedant? :D

Sorry, just kidding, I work with a part time bike instructor, who's leaving us to become a full time bike instructor.

As someone with a full driving licence, if I were to take my bike test would I now have to do theory or do I still just get the two questions (what to tell a pillion, and how a pillion affects handling) at the end because having my licence "proves" I know the theory/highway code part of driving (yeah, like people actually look at the highway code again after passing their test, hence why we get so many people pootling along single carrigways in the national speed limit doing 40-50mph, because they have no clue what a white disk with a black diagonal line through it means, and not slowing down when they come to a 30/40mph village grrr)

For bikes Hardcore,

CBT's are always done on bikes up to 125cc and once passed, you can ride a bike not greater than that power on the road for up to 2 years at which time your CBT runs out and must be re-taken. Your theroy test is valid for 2 years too.

Full tests and licences

Take your test on a 75-125cc bike with a max speed of 100kmh (a scooter, basically), you get an A1 light motorcycle licence. You can bin the L plates on your scoot, but not ride anything higher than this

Take you test on a 121-125cc bike capable of 100kmh, you are then granted a category A restricted licence, which limits you to bikes up to 25kw (approx 33bhp) This can be any bike, even a 1000cc Sports bike as they can be mechanically and electronically restricted to meet the requirements (theres a power to weight limit too of 0.16kw/kg) After 2 years, you can ride any machine. You cannot escape this if you are under 21.

Take your test on a high powered bike (at least 35kw, approx 57bhp) and you can ride any machine. You must be over 21 to do this.

This is what I was trying to get at, sorry I oversimplified. Also I havn't had a chance to re-read anything from last summer so my memory's slightly hazy.

As someone with a full driving licence, if I were to take my bike test would I now have to do theory or do I still just get the two questions (what to tell a pillion, and how a pillion affects handling) at the end because having my licence "proves" I know the theory/highway code part of driving (yeah, like people actually look at the highway code again after passing their test, hence why we get so many people pootling along single carrigways in the national speed limit doing 40-50mph, because they have no clue what a white disk with a black diagonal line through it means, and not slowing down when they come to a 30/40mph village grrr)

I was told if I got my bike theory and licence then I wouldn't have to take a second test when I go for my car licence. This might be true for the other way round.

Actually, they have a clutch, and it's just like the one in a normal standard shift car. It's just actuated by a machine and not by a foot. In many cases, by the way, sequential racing cars do have a clutch pedal, but it's only used for starting and stopping. A clutch pedal is very important to use in a racing situation, as it allows you to release and apply power smoothly, as opposed to a powershift where the power will momentarily be released, then suddenly reapplied, the car will be jarred, leading to possible destabilization.

Depends on the series. I know some race series don't use clutches at all, it's just an Automatic.

Once again, depends on the tranny. Most of them I have driven - it's been an entirely smooth process. This doubles with 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. Any jaring movements or such would destablize you going up a hill, or through mud, etc. Though, powershifting in my work's F350 super duty - is much like that, mainly because it doesn't like to go into gear in the first place, and I loose too many RPM's before I can shift it fully.

Though, the corvette only has a light drop in RPM's, so if you over rev it just a bit, you should catch it perfectly, and only have a drop in RPM's, no jerking.

Again, different driving styles, as well as different cars. Most of my driving time on a manual tranny has been with either Super duty/Heavy duty trucks, or - old muscle cars. Then again, on ATV's/Dirt bikes.

Not newer trannys.

Depends on the series. I know some race series don't use clutches at all, it's just an Automatic.

Yes but automatic gearboxes have cluches as well. Most track cars I've seen use that silly flappy paddle gearbox horribleness.

It's just lazy as far as I'm concerned.

F1 would so much more interesting if they banned the gucci gearbox and made the driver use a manual. Hmm, I may have to suggest that to bernie.

And Now On Topic,

I must say I've never heard of any quota system in the UK. Seems a bit dodgy if you ask me.

Mind you saying that I'd fail someone who turned up in an automatic car just becuase they are driving an automatic. :P

@Xaccers

You would need a theory certificate, sorry.

Any change to entitlement on your licence that you take a seperate test for ever since the theory test came in needs you to pass one. As you got your car licence before it, you only need to take a theory for a new test (bike) or if you have to do a re-test (get nicked)

(If I could make good money as an internet pedant, I'd so be changing my career... :P)

*edit* once you take and pass a theory test, that certificate is valid for two years and can be applied to any and all tests you take in that time, so Hardcore could do both tests on one certificate, but Xaccers would need one as you havent done one in the last two years.

@Eddie

They do have to use a clutch, every F1 car has one, the thing is you change gear with the paddles. 

If they were automatic, the dirver wouldnt be able to stall them would they?

Yeah that's what I was saying mate. They do have a clutch, as does every care with a gearbox of any sort. It's just that with the silly flappy paddle jobbies the gearbox operates it automaticly.

With regard to F1 cars, I'm not sure they have a clutch in the conventional sense (ie a clutch pedal). I'm sure I either read or saw on tv that's it's just a button on the steering wheel used for starts and that's it.

I could be wrong mind you, I normally am when it comes to things like this.

@Xaccers

You would need a theory certificate, sorry.

Any change to entitlement on your licence that you take a seperate test for ever since the theory test came in needs you to pass one. As you got your car licence before it, you only need to take a theory for a new test (bike) or if you have to do a re-test (get nicked)

(If I could make good money as an internet pedant, I'd so be changing my career... :P)

*edit* once you take and pass a theory test, that certificate is valid for two years and can be applied to any and all tests you take in that time, so Hardcore could do both tests on one certificate, but Xaccers would need one as you havent done one in the last two years.

Ah, with you now. Thanks for the info dude! :)

Archived