Got two Star UMP's

DSC01061.JPG

Finish is rough...not very smooth and inconsistent in texture on the body. Seem on the top of the AEG too. Batteries dont' fit...the didn't make a wire channel for "standard" stick batteries. Custom AA "stick" batteries are required. And they based this stick off the old KR1700AUL...ish!

DSC01062.JPG

Stocks folds and just catches on the plastic hook...

DSC01063.JPG

All though the body is made of real sturdy stuff...its typical "Star" quality. Will round off in time..them stock won't fold anymore.

Hop up works great! .25's climbing up after 15 meters, had to dial it down...very good accuracy...and the AEG doesn't sound labored when used.

AEG hits ~244fps with .25's, which is roughly ~290fps with .20's. All TM internal me-thinks...more to come.

Edited by Guges Mk3
None of you expected this to be a "high" quality gun did you? 

not really, but i would have expected it to take standard stick type batterys ;)

I sure didn't...only two manufacturer's make HQ AEG's IMHO...

which 2 would they be :unsure:

If you've EVER held the real UMP, which I doubt, you will notice that the texture is supposed to be like that.

I have "Held" a "Real" UMP .45 and "Shot" the "Real" UMP.45 in single and two round burst mode. And the real UMP .45's I have "Held" and "Used" have a smoother "even" texture on the body.

YMMV...

Edited by Guges Mk3

Kinda bothersome about the batteries... regular stick types are bad enough.

What about the build of the gun? Solid?

Could you use it to hammer a nail into a 2x4?

How sturdy is the case?

I have "Held" a "Real" UMP .45 and "Shot" the "Real" UMP.45 in single and two round burst mode.  And the real UMP .45's I have "Held" and "Used" have a smoother "even" texture on the body.

YMMV...

WTF, why have you quoted someone else but puts my name in it :unsure:

Kinda bothersome about the batteries... regular stick types are bad enough.

What about the build of the gun? Solid?

How sturdy is the case?

Build is solid...internals are TM I believe...looks like TM...shoots like TM...has broken yet...so maybe TM :P

Well being a plastic body...you will ding it up a bit...:P But its very rigid...it compares to say an ICS CAR97 in "solidness".

And the case is as rigid as the AEG. I could jump up and down on it and it would bounce right back into shape....like an old Samsonite.

Rob15,

Misquote...misedit.

I've had my Star UMP since the previous release, back when they were just kits, i agree that the finish is a bit marble texture like in places, but then so is my real steel G36K foregrip. The G&G UMG has quite bad mold lines in places also.

I have not had any problems with the fibre plastic that Star have used. They are very rigid and while mine has seen some action it still has no creaking etc. as of yet.

After folding (locking open and closed) the stock about 60+ times at least by now, the plastic has not experienced any major wearing down. The catch at the rear in mine, is full metal anyway, both on the actual button and the "hole" parts it lock into, and the small nub that holds in when folded (above the ejection port) has no real wear, yet...

Batteries can be a pain, I have found problems fitting a standard stick battery also, but as i got two Star batteries with it already, it did not prove a problem for me.

Star have just released a specific UMP battery and this one will also fit no problem http://www.starairsoft.com/S_B_2000_84_B.htm (the one i use)

It's a shame the Star doesn't come with the side rails though, unlike the UMG, when the kit was released before it had all rails included.

I guess that both the Star UMP and G&G UMG have up and down sides, the UMG seems to fit batteries better, and has the working cocking action, the Star has fake bullet mags, better (not accuarte, but better) trademarks. Both have a specific silencer now.

Edited by matt bond

Like Matt said, I don't think stock catch is going to be a problem. I havn't counted how many times I've locked it back and forth, but it looks to be fine.

I agree that the battery is a problem. Here is the battery I used and fit without any issues:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i....4V%20Batteries

They also have the same in 9.6V which I havn't used, but I'm sure it will fit:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i....6V%20Batteries

The other thing I did was extended the wire a bit using mini Kyosho/Tamiya connectors...I personally thought it was bit too short to connect and slide in. The seams don't bother me too much...maybe my standards aren't as high as some folks. Other than that, I personally think it's fine considering the cost. It fired fine right out the box without problems.