Holy cow...I just witnessed something freaky...

Agent47

I dunno if this sounds freaky to you guys, but here goes.

I just came off of an EMT observation rotation yesterday at the local hospital in the ER. Paramedics brought in some old dude in respiratory arrest that had literally coughed up half of his lung (affected due to a history of lung cancer). A crapload of personnel was in the same room as me doing CPR and trying to give him fluids (lost a lot of blood). The medics had already shocked him in the field. His family was outside anxiously waiting for any good or bad news. It was rumored that this old dude had a Do Not Resuscitate order (you cannot perform CPR or treat a patient who conks out or looks ready to die), and apparently the family did not know until the daughter came in crying with it in her hand. The doctors then stopped CPR.

The man checked out at 8:35 PM on October 29, 2004, in room 6 of the ER at INOVA Fairfax Hospital. Damn. The bugger died right in front of me. First time I ever seen anyone actually check out. At least he didn't go out screaming...but jesus...

I havent seen anyone die but i have seen someone get shot.... Unlucky guy was standing at the ranges when the worlds worst shot is shooting.... the dumbass girl missed the targets, the sand and hit the cement wall..... it ricocheted of the wall and hit the poor guy in the thigh.... he was lucky though that it just went through some fat in the back of his leg.... took a big chunk out though.... nasty... a 5.56mm round to the back of the leg is NOT pretty people.... he didnt lose too much blood and was laughing as soon as they got the medication in him.... scary as hell though. sounded a little like this "BANG, ping, OH MY GOD MY LEG!!!"

Look at it from this point of view, his chances of survival without trauma to the brain were slim to none in his current state. Contrary to what you see in ER etc, if you'd had to use the paddles on a patient their chances of pulling through are slim.

Death is a fact of life - there's no real pleasant introduction to it.

I saw a dog die in front of me (hit by a car). No where as emotional as the poor bloke you witnessed, but still pretty traumatic. Hopefully he's in a better place... Really is shocking when a living thing dies right in front of you, and slowly too...

That dog didn't stop frantically wagging it's tail for about a minute... :(

I've never seen anybody die, and I don't ever want to have to perform CPR or any of my first aid skills for real

It's sad to watch any creature die a slow death, especially if it's someone's pet, if I was in that situation I would've done everything in my power to relieve that animal's suffering, even if it is a single gunshot. That's one thing I take absolutely no joy in doing

Contrary to what you see in ER etc, if you'd had to use the paddles on a patient their chances of pulling through are slim.

This is really off topic but apparently ER is alot more realistic than what we have in the UK which is apparently terrible (this is from my friends dad who is a dr.)

back on topic, sorry to here this...i'd hate to see someone die+i hope i'd be able to help someone if they did end up in "problems".

Archived