G&G UMG un-boxing and initial impressions...

staticzero

I've got a few more quick observations for you guys:

1. Upon closer inspection, the 'bolt' is metal after all. My bad!

2. The gearbox comes out super easily. It's just about like a G36. Field strip the gun, then unscrew the large screw at the bottom of the grip, and push out the pin closest to the bolt catch. The gearbox then slides right out of the lower receiver just like it does with a TM/CA G36. Pics later, shh!

3. Taking down the mag is quite easy too. There's one pin at the top, just push it out and the core of the mag will slide out of the body. The mag is made of the same material as the body and are quite sturdy.

4. When loading the mag I couldn't help but notice how smooth it was. The BBs go in like like they were soaked in butter overnight.

5. The mag fits in my standard Tac Force tac vest's mag pouches. It looks like you could fit two mags side by side but I don't have a second one to try it at the moment.

6. The mag is slightly shorter, and a bit narrower than a P90 mag, though it is a bit thicker. I'll have a mag comparison photo for you later on...

7. The selector lever was a bit rough to start with, but it's getting better as it breaks in. It has very definite clicks for each mode.

8. The stick battery can interfere with the cocking action if it's in the wrong spot. It only happened once so far though. I think you just need to be careful how you put it in. I don't think it would happen with the custom battery pictured in the manual, the stick is just too loose in the compartment.

9. I continue to be impressed with the body, the plastic is very solid. It appears to be glass fiber/polymer composite like the CA36 series. It matches my CA36 body and my real Hk G36K handguard pretty well, though it is not exactly the same texture as either of them. There are mould lines, and some rough edges. Doesn't bug me though. Heck, my real handguard has a mould line.

10. The included rails are quite nicely made. They went on using the included screws without a hitch.

11. The gun is impressively light! I can wield it one handed no problem.

12. It was too late to try it outside so I basted off some rounds in my garage. Using Excel non-bio .25g BBs at a meager 13 feet firing on semi in quick succession with the hop up all the way off, I was able to keep a 1.5 inch group. This was using the stock iron sights, uncorrected, which surprisingly were fairly zeroed out of the box. I hit just slightly right and about 1.5-2 inches down from the center of the target.

13. It appears there's no fuse to be found in the gun anywhere. No big deal, but heads up.

14. It has nylon bushings, for those curious.

15. The mag/mag well connection is a bit tight. Better that way though, and it will probably loosen up a bit with use.

16. The stock it rubberized on the cheek surface as well as the butt. A nice touch.

17. There's no removable flash hider. Suppressors will need to attach to the barrel as-is, or a new threaded outer barrel set will need to be made. Round up the usual suspects! We need accessories!

18. The rails are longer than G36 rails, no parts commonality there.

Okay, so this is the part you might not want to hear. Now keep in mind, it's a bit early to make blanket statements about anything. This is just one gun, in fact probably one of the first ones sold. Just don't go loosing your heads okay? :)

19. For the first five mags or so the gun was shooting two BBs per shot on semi, nearly every time I pulled the trigger. I took down the hop up unit, lubricated the bucking, and reassembled it. Either that did it, or the mag spring decided to soften up and play nicely, or a little of both, but whatever the reason it's shooting fine on semi now. Odd.

20. This is the bad one. On full auto, nearly every time I've fired it, it works for a bit and then the gears lock up. Firing on semi or auto fails so dislodge it, even when connected to a much more powerful battery. I've had to pull the gearbox out, remove the motor, grab the anti-reversal latch with needle-nose pliers and release the gears.

It hasn't happened on semi, only auto. I have no solution to this yet, I haven't even began to diagnose the cause. A bit disheartening. :(

I may end up opening the gearbox myself to have a look. The shimming feels alright on initial inspection, but perhaps it needs a slight adjustment.

Either way I'm going to call up AEX tomorrow and see if they have any input. I'll be curious to see if it's a widespread, chronic issue, or a one-off that's only affecting my gun. We'll see.

Despite the above issues, I'm still happy with the gun. I'm confident I'll get it sorted out, and everything else about the gun is really great so far. Just keep in mind, if you're going to live on the bleeding edge like me, buy from a reputable dealer that will support you.

I'll have more info for you later, and some more pictures. As always, if you have any questions, ask away! :)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice report staticzero :)

Serial number plate and other markings

IMG_6715.sized.jpg

Gnah F*ck G&G !! Why did they reproduce the weapon proof markings? All other markings have been removed an replaced by Fakes, but they keeped the bloody proof sign. The UMG is illegal with this markings in Germany! :angry:

@unimatrix001: drive over to france and buy one here  :P

That would be even more illegal :D. Fullauto Airsofts are prohibited in Germany and it still has the proof markings from our Beschussamt in Ulm. If I would buy this AEG in France it would be a violation of the German gun-law (fullauto) AND falsification of documents (illegitimate proof signs).

BTW: Prices in France are even higher than in Germany (Thanks to Cybergun :D).

oops, didn't know it went that far, anyway, all you'd have to do is fill it in with this "stuff" (i forget the name) or scratch it off, but why risk it?...

And no, not much the fault of cybergun as it is of VERY high indirect taxes. France is an expensive place to live in.

Update! More photos:

From Top: TM P90, G&G UMG, KSC M11A1, TM G36, Star M4/M16, TM Hi-Capa, KWA Glock 17/18, KWA USP Compact.

IMG_6735.sized.jpg

From Left: TM P90, G&G UMG, KSC M11A1, TM G36, Star M4/M16, TM Hi-Capa, KWA Glock 17/18, KWA USP Compact.

IMG_6736.sized.jpg

Magazine internals retaining pin removed

IMG_6738.sized.jpg

Major magazine components. The internal part is composed of two halves that are screwed together just like most every other AEG standard mag out there.

IMG_6739.sized.jpg

Gearbox removed from lower. Note the selector lever needs to be moved between semi and auto to get the internals out.

IMG_6741.sized.jpg

Lower receiver. Note the bolt catch mechanism, blurred as it may be. I'll have to take a better picture of it later...

IMG_6742.sized.jpg

Gearbox Left

IMG_6743.sized.jpg

Close-up of the trigger area

IMG_6744.sized.jpg

Gearbox Right. It's a pretty standard v3. The motor is a G&G Armament R25K "high-tourqe" motor.

IMG_6745.sized.jpg

The gearbox almost all the way back in place. Note the notch in the receiver for the wires at the back of the gearbox (the black-wrapped wires, not the red ones).

IMG_6746.sized.jpg

Update! More photos:

From Top: TM P90, G&G UMG, KSC M11A1, TM G36, Star M4/M16, TM Hi-Capa, KWA Glock 17/18, KWA USP Compact.

From Left: TM P90, G&G UMG, KSC M11A1, TM G36, Star M4/M16, TM Hi-Capa, KWA Glock 17/18, KWA USP Compact.

Magazine internals retaining pin removed

Major magazine components. The internal part is composed of two halves that are screwed together just like most every other AEG standard mag out there.

Gearbox removed from lower. Note the selector lever needs to be moved between semi and auto to get the internals out.

Lower receiver. Note the bolt catch mechanism, blurred as it may be. I'll have to take a better picture of it later...

Gearbox Left

Close-up of the trigger area

Gearbox Right. It's a pretty standard v3. The motor is a G&G Armament R25K "high-tourqe" motor.

The gearbox almost all the way back in place. Note the notch in the receiver for the wires at the back of the gearbox (the black-wrapped wires, not the red ones).

It looks good quality. Have you gotten any further on the prolbem of the seized up gearbox?

O and what vest are you keeping the mags in?

:Dr_Evil:

I haven't been able to work on the gearbox any further. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight. As I mentioned earlier, the vest I tried the mags in is a Tac Force vest. It's the type with six double mag pouches (adjustable for height) across the front. Here's a link to a pic.

I expect I'll just use my Guarder double AK/P90 mag drop leg rig for now though. The vest will be handy when I have more than two extra mags (which I don't even have yet).

A few more notes:

1. There aren't really any accessories out for the airsoft UMG/UMP yet (aside from the mags and suppressor), but there are accessories for the real UMP/USC that might be useful. Checkout a few here, still pretty sparse though. I have a hankering for those tritium sights, but think I'll hold off (whew, they're out of stock anyway). I'll get a mag clamp soon though (right after I get a second mag, lol).

2. G&G has posted the manual in PDF format to their website. Yay! I don't have to scan it now! I'm glad I checked first.

I haven't been able to work on the gearbox any further. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight. As I mentioned earlier, the vest I tried the mags in is a Tac Force vest. It's the type with six double mag pouches (adjustable for height) across the front. Here's a link to a pic.

I expect I'll just use my Guarder double AK/P90 mag drop leg rig for now though. The vest will be handy when I have more than two extra mags (which I don't even have yet).

A few more notes:

1. There aren't really any accessories out for the airsoft UMG/UMP yet (aside from the mags and suppressor), but there are accessories for the real UMP/USC that might be useful. Checkout a few here, still pretty sparse though. I have a hankering for those tritium sights, but think I'll hold off (whew, they're out of stock anyway). I'll get a mag clamp soon though (right after I get a second mag, lol).

2. G&G has posted the manual in PDF format to their website. Yay! I don't have to scan it now! I'm glad I checked first.

I might get tritium sights for it if i get one. I think i might use thisSweet vest

Because it has dump pouches on the sides yea :D

the Suppressor kit seems to come with a replacement muzzle...which must mean that you can take the muzzle off...I tried to take mine off without dismantleing the whole gun...but to no avail...I looked for a set screw on the outer barrel but didn't see any ...tried CW/CCW. On the photo of the Suppressor kit, the replacement muzzle seem to be like a bayonet type and not threaded...if you figure out that if indeed it can be removed, please post it here...thanks.

It's funny because it actually feels pretty small (and very light). Also I think the angle of that photo is making it look larger than it is. I'll be taking pictures of the UMG next to my G36K, P90, and maybe others for comparison. I'll see if I can borrow my friend's MP5. (I actually took some already but I wasn't happy with how they turned out, so I'm going to take more tonight).

What made it look really big was Angelina Jolie holding it (with mags clamped together and suppressor and such bolted on) in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. She made it look HUGE. *Goes off to find a pic* ... *fails*

the Suppressor kit seems to come with a replacement muzzle...which must mean that you can take the muzzle off...I tried to take mine off without dismantleing the whole gun...but to no avail...I looked for a set screw on the outer barrel but didn't see any ...tried CW/CCW. On the photo of the Suppressor kit, the replacement muzzle seem to be like a bayonet type and not threaded...if you figure out that if indeed it can be removed, please post it here...thanks.

The G&G UMG suppressor attaches directly to the barrel as is. It probably comes with the adapter so it can be used with other guns besides the UMG. I'm sure the barrel comes free after you punch out the retaining pin at the front of the gun, but I've not tried it yet. It's on the to do list though.

It's funny because it actually feels pretty small (and very light).

It feels maybe small, but it's huge for a SMG, Tef is right about that. It's 68cm long, so it's the same lenght as a fullstock MP5 and only 4cm smaller than a G36C.

The funny thing is, most of the HK guns feel smaller than they really are. The G36 for example feels very compact and handy but if you compare it side-by-side with an AR15 you will notice that it's really a big gun. Much more massive build than an AR.

Here's a further size-comparison, MP5A5 vs UMP-9

http://www.gun-world.net/old/H&K/ump/y2004004.jpg

BTW: The UMP is still ugly :D

It feels maybe small, but it's huge for a SMG, Tef is right about that. It's 68cm long, so it's the same lenght as a fullstock MP5 and only 4cm smaller than a G36C.

The funny thing is, most of the HK guns feel smaller than they really are. The G36 for example feels very compact and handy but if you compare it side-by-side with an AR15 you will notice that it's really a big gun. Much more massive build than an AR.

Here's a further size-comparison, MP5A5 vs UMP-9

http://www.gun-world.net/old/H&K/ump/y2004004.jpg

I agree it's big, I was surprised how bit it looked laying next to my G36K. With the stock folded it's about as long as a P90. So it's odd that it feels so small.

A side note somewhat related to the size, one of the first things I noticed about it and one of the things that really sold me on it was how well it fit me, it just felt really natural. This will varry from person to person of course.

BTW: The UMP is still ugly :D

Yes, yes. We know you think so. Shh! :P

... and I happen to think it looks cool...

Would you gents like chips with your SPAM?...

I have to say, that magazine looks like a bit of a bloater. Still, sexeh gun (again) :P That photo of all the mags (which I hadn't noticed before) should be a sticky or something! I don't think you can understand the inconvenience of a P90 mag 'til you've had to stick 4 of them on your person :blink:

Would you gents like chips with your SPAM?...

I have to say, that magazine looks like a bit of a bloater. Still, sexeh gun (again) :P

Why yes we would :P. But back on topic that mag looks really funky. But atleast it will fit in regular pouches though.

rob WE have to stop going off on tangents like this... just look at my sig

Archived