G&G UMG un-boxing and initial impressions...

staticzero

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got back from AEX and I've got a bunch info for you guys:

1. The double-feed issue - This is occurring on semi with other guns with the stock bucking, not just mine. The Guarder clear bucking I tried wasn't helping that much, so we tried a Systema bucking (which seemed to work well in a couple of other UMGs, though not flawlessly). Still no luck, unfortunately. Finally we tried one out of the mystery stash in the back, we think it's from a TM. Well, it worked like a charm. I put five full mags through it on semi and it didn't double-feed even once, even with the hop up all the way off. I'll of course be keeping an eye on it to make sure it stays this way. :)

2. The jamming issue - The other two UMGs I know about (Sean's and Alex's) have not had this problem at all. As I reported earlier, mine was missing a shim, and there was some wear in my gearbox as a result of this. After re-shimming the spur gear the problem occurred less, though it still did occur. When it did happen, it could be forced to turn over by using a more powerful battery, which was not the case before I fixed the shimming. I've fired the gun a whole lot since fixing it, and I suspect this has re-broken in the gears, or something else mysterious. The gun did not jam at all today, even using the 8.4v 600mAh stick. I couldn't even get it to jam when I tried deliberately pulling the trigger too quickly on semi, which fully fully compress the spring without firing. This, combined with the fact that the other two guns have performed flawlessly in this regard, is great news I think.

3. Current draw - I tested the gun on AEX's power block, the gun consistently pulled 13.5-13.9 amps. It sometimes peaked at around 20 when I first pulled the trigger. This is really good, and shows the gearbox isn't shimmed to tight or anything. When hooked up to the power brick (which can deliver as much power as the gun needs) the ROF at 8.4v is excellent, and it's even better at 9.6v. Clearly a good quality battery with a high discharge rate will be good to have with this gun, since using large cells internally is not an option.

4. Chrono - Before changing the bucking, my gun was shooting a consistent 320FPS. Now, with the mystery bucking, it's firing 347. UK users, be advised, you may need to run a colder spring in this gun to stay legal.

5. Mags - I asked Sean for an ETA, he told me that the hicaps were originally expected to show up with the guns, or possibly with the shipment of parts they received today. They didn't. He said he'd look into it, and I'm going to check back later this week. It seems they are in the channel. He said he's not sure what the situation is with the standard mags. I'll keep you posted. Oh, also two mags fit side by side in my Tac Force vest (Pics below).

So the gun is working great now, I can't wait to do some accuracy and range testing. More soon. In the mean time have some pics:

The suppressor. Note the inside is solid, there's no baffling.

IMG_6774.sized.jpg

The suppressor again.

IMG_6775.sized.jpg

Sean's gun with Alex's EOTech 511 and Surefire vertical grip light.

IMG_6776.sized.jpg

Another shot with the accessories plus the prototype suppressor.

IMG_6777.sized.jpg

Mags in the vest as viewed from the side. Not sure why these came out so blurry, I'll have to retake them later. Yuck.

IMG_6778.sized.jpg

View from the front. Note I didn't adjust the flap at all, this is the default setting. It could be adjusted to a more ideal postion.

IMG_6779.sized.jpg

View from the front, flap open.

IMG_6780.sized.jpg

Here's a shot of my UMG with my Guarder AimPoint replica, vertical grip, and G&G GP6-II taclight mounted. Note that you must remove the handstop to slide on the vertical grip. Also pictured is my GB-Tech Flashbang/Gas Charger, TM SOCOM silencer from my P90 TR, and my KWA USP Compact.

IMG_6781.sized.jpg

Quick update. I called and got the overall length of the G&G UMG suppressor, which is about 8.25 inches (~210mm). Since the stock inner barrel is 205mm (and it doesn't go all the way to the end of the barrel), if you fancy leaving the suppressor on all the time, I figure you could probably fit a 407mm M4/SR-16/SIG551 length inner barrel. Possibly a 455mm AK barrel, but that's pushing it I think.

Note that upon closer inspection, the cylinder volume seems to be in between an M4 and MP5K cylinder. An M4 cylinder should support inner barrels up to 430mm, but that's probably not the case with the UMG cylinder. You'd definitely need to change the cylinder for an AK barrel if it fit, but you might need to change it for an M4 barrel as well. I suspect that the stock cylinder might work with a 363mm M4 barrel, but I'd have to try it to say for certain (Or I guess I could measure the UMG cylinder and calculate the volume, but then I'd have to take the gun apart again. I'll save that for later).

Here are some pics to illustrate the cylinder volume differences.

UMG Cylinder:

http://photos.returners.org/albums/UMG/IMG_6750.sized.jpg

MP5K "mid-hole" Cylinder:

http://www.wgcshop.com/WGC_Shop/images/gd_pt_ge0304.jpg

M4 "3/4 hole" Cylinder:

http://www.wgcshop.com/WGC_Shop/images/zs-03-39.jpg

The slightly larger 2000 mAh GP AA cells will probably also fit (I think theyre 1mm larger diameter).

The sanyo cells are really old tech...

I know for a fact that the GP 1100 mAh (regular Sub-AA cells like the old 600 mAh sanyo cells) can deliver around 25A without an annyoing voltage drop or battery overload.

The 2000 mAh cells should be even better, I'm guessing around 40A since the 2200 mAh Sub-C cells can deliver 50A.

Or to be evil, the 3700 mAh full size C-cells which deliver 80A constant and 200A peak without a problem :o

But I'm sure the 2000 mAh will be fine for most, if not all - in this forum...

My new battery arrived today from cheapbatterypacks.com. It's well made and arrived fast. The battery fits well, but snugly. Getting it out is a bit tricky. It's capacity is such that it should last me a day of play, and I have a fast charger that hooks up to my car anyway, so I doubut I'll ever need to take it out. However, if you needed to swap it during play it would be tough without something to pull on. I plan on putting a tab on it somehow, so that I can just pull the tab to get the battery out. Pulling by the wires wouldn't be a good idea. The safest way to get it out is to field strip the gun and push it out from the inside. Pic time.

Top: Standard 8.4v 600mAh stick battery. 7 2/3 A Sanyo KR-600AE NiCad Cells, Single Stick, 18AWG Wire, Female Mini Tamiya Connector. The rate of fire with this battery is approximately 870 rounds per minute. That's about 4 seconds to empty the mag (58 effective rounds). This is comperable to my TM P90 TR, wich has a similar power output, using the same pack configuration in mini form.

Bottom: 9.6v 1650mAh pack from cheapbatterypacks.com. 8 AA CBP1650AA NiMH Cells, Double Stick, 16AWG Wire, Female Deans Connector. The rate of fire with this battery is approximately 1160 rounds per minute. That's about 3 seconds to empty the mag (58 effective rounds). This is the highest voltage, highest capacity battery configuration I currently know about that will fit the UMG. It's good for at least 25 amp draw, and the gun is only pulling 13.5-13.8 amp sustained anyway.

IMG_6812.sized.jpg

Slide the battery in place so that it's positioned diagonally from the top right to the bottom left. This way it's sitting on the "shelf" inside the body, and it won't interfere with the bolt action.

IMG_6811.sized.jpg

Here's the batter in place with the wires hanging out. The wires might be a bit long, but I can fit everything in okay, so I'm going to leave the alone for now.

IMG_6818.sized.jpg

Tuck the wires in, sliding the excess down the side of the battery, into the empty space in the top left corner. Note that I reolaced the stock mini Tamiya connector with a Deans connector.

IMG_6817.sized.jpg

Here's everything tucked in.

IMG_6815.sized.jpg

Hard to see, but here is the battery in place as seen through the bottom of the upper receiver.

IMG_6813.sized.jpg

Time for some video.

Video Clip illustrating the UMG's realistic cocking action and bolt catch feature. 656KB MPEG4, QuickTime Required.

Video clip of the UMG firing full auto. Again, ROF is about 1160RPM with the new battery. My AimPoint isn't zeroed so I just eyeballed it, hence the bad aim. :) 400KB MPEG4, QuickTime Required.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the encouragement. I'm super happy with this thing, it's really awesome. :punk:

If anyone has any specific questions, or if there'a something you want me to try, or to look into, let me know. I've nearly got everything I need to write up a proper review, so if there's something you want included, now's the time to ask! :)

Stupid computer and Quicktime not being able to upgrade...

Is that with the stock spring and what range?

Alex "Col Sanders"

http://www.videolan.org/

That is an open source (free, for those who don't know) media player that has almost every codec (video and audio) built into the player itself so you never need to install separate codecs, such as divx, quicktime, xvid, ogm, ogg, mp4, etc. to watch your favorite videos. Very much worth the download, imo.

Now that's out of the way, I just wanted to say that UMG looks and sounds awesome! I hope it lasts you a long time Staticzero. Definitely, going to put that in my list of weapons to buy. :)

Got my bats on sat... good to know that they are a bit snug before hand. Have both stick and double stick bats to test out with so...

Gun comes today... hopefully will be there by the time I get home. If not, then tomorrow deffinately.

As soon as I get the thing and test it out I will post up and see if i had any issues as you had

Archived