JK's G&P M3 Stock Review

First Impressions.

Well, you get the stock, and a sheet of instructions in a clear plastic folder/bag, pretty basic, but does the job. Overall, its looks pretty nice, just lacking in a shotgun at the front.

PICT1521.jpg

Which shouldn’t be too difficult to fit, just follow the instructions, or not as they are kind of poo.

PICT1515.jpg

Fitting

Fitting isn’t too hard, almost a direct replacement for the pistol grip (and stock if you have one). Two things that can make life difficult are the modifications needed to fit it, and the fact that you need a looong Phillips screw driver. I had to slice up an old one, and use a pair of mole grips.

PICT1523.jpg

The old back end needs to come off, which is either done by undoing a hex bolt at the rear of the pistol grip on the Shorty, or on the Super 90, removing the butt and undoing from there.

Then you need to cut off the bit that is stick out the back of the receiver. The instructions say leave 19mm, which isn’t totally accurate, it needs to be flush with the back of the innards. I’d recommend you file after cutting, just to make it nice and smooth.

PICT1522.jpg

Now you need to take apart the stock, by sliding the slidey part off, press in the button on the side to move it. Undo the Phillips screw that’s at the wrong end of the stock tube, this is where the looong screwdriver comes in handy. This is to remove a disc that holds its all together in the packaging, but gets in the way when you try to fit it.

When the disc is out of the way, you can set about attaching it. Pistol grip first, then the stock tube, and screw it on with the scew, and looong screwdriver. Before you do it up really tight, make sure the notches are pointing up when at rest, so the stock points the right way. It is spring loaded to allow some rotation clockwise, more on that later. Then put the slidey bit back on and its done!

PICT1518.jpg

The Next Bit

Now for details. Looking at it now, its sexy, a stocked M3 that isn’t the size of a house. I have heard people say a stock on the Shorty wouldn’t look good but I disagree, the stock completes it, and makes it a lot nicer looking. On the subject of looks, there is even a Benelli logo on the butt, score one for the trades-sluts.

PICT1520.jpg

Construction is mainly sturdy plastic, with some metal in there, such as the stock tube. When its all together it feels nice and solid, even at full length.

Having the flexibility to go between a full stocked shotgun, and a compact entry shotgun in a few seconds is very nice. However the slidey bit will fall off the end if you pull it too far, which can be a little off putting in a firefight. J

The stock makes it much easier to cock, and aim. Indeed at full length, and the next one in, you can shoulder it, and have the sights lined up straight away.

To collapse the stock all the way forward, you need to rotate it to the right, so bits can clear other bits. This is more for storage, than any use in a firefight, as the sights are obscured by the stock in this position.

PICT1519.jpg

In the pistol grip you can store one shell, which while fiddly to get one in, its remarkably easy to get it out and reload. A nice little extra there. The amount of overlap to keep it in, makes me pretty confidant that it wont be falling out until you want it to.

PICT1524.jpg

Conclusion

Overall, I love it. Really nice to look at and to use. Bit of a *badgeress* to fit if you haven’t got a long screwdriver. _ Only real downside is the cost, nearly as much as the Shorty. Plus side, a damn sexy stock for the M3.

Pict1516.jpg

Pict1517.jpg

edit: 53 edits later....