Hurricane Katrina

Foxtrot

+ the levy by the humongo lake next to NO is breached and tons of water is pouring into a major swath of NO. Some place by the city park. Ill try to get a picture. Its been puring in since 2:30 am EST USA time and now its 11 am EST time. Thats a lot of water. From watching CNN, and Miles O' Brien's report, the death toll could go way beyond 55 becuase in Mobile, Alabama, an entire apartment building, estimating 15 floors with aboout 30 people inside, collapsed from the surge and a firefighter said that a section of Mobile is really "messed up." I guess NOAA was right when they said "Total structural failure."

Edit:

Here is the pic of the newly flooded area. Photobucket autoresized it...

New_Orleans_15m_small.jpg

Some more pictures:

01.08.red.cross.ap.jpg

01.09.roof.rescue.ap.jpg

02.10.jpg

02.08.jpg

02.09.ap.jpg

02.03.ap.jpg

Pictures from CNN. Pictures may change without warning.

Edit2:

Confirmed 68 dead, 55 in MS alone.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hurricane katrina is officialy over it is now a tropical storm headed inland saw the damage today on the news scary stuff i tell ya death toll is over 100 i for the short time i was at school (sick) i asked about a hurricane relief food drive and they agreed so we will be stting up a food drive and i am trying to get a hurricane relief airsoft game started here in kansas city

Why didn't they helicopter the people who couldn't escape out ?

I mean, America has alot of cash and military power, why didn't they use it ?

That's for them to Know, and the conspiricy theorists who think it was the terrorist weather machine to find out ;)

Edit: Is there a current estimate on damages?

I dont know but CNN interview a coast guard dude and he said he made 200 rescues with helicopters with 8-16 people / rescue. Thats about 3200 people.

Lord Jebus- about $26 Billion dollars.

Edit:

Re-watched CNN and got my position wrong. Worse than I though.

New_Orleans_15m_small1.jpg

See above post for comparison.

1. Many people in NO didnt have cars or other means to get out.

2. They were saying that there could possibly have been 100k+ people in the city when the storm hit. Airlifting that many people in just a few hours is a logistical nightmare.

A large porition of the people that stayed are those who could not leave.

Elderly and the sick. Then, add their families that stayed with them, as well as the hospital staff, and their familes.

There's at least 10,000-12,000 people right there.

Then, the New Orleans/Beloxi/Mobile area is a /very/ poor area for the most part. Alot of people don't /have/ cars, as said above. Nor does the police force/national guard have the time, or man power to go door to door to evacuate everyone. Remember, they had about 36 hours to evacuate. Yes, they could of done alot of door to door - but then you put the police and national guard force as risk of being in the hurricane.

BTW, I am currently 519.32 Miles (835.36 km) from New Orleans (roughtly where the center of the storm was) in Statesboro, GA, not far at all from Savannah on the Atlantic coast. As I walked to class yesterday after noon it started raining here, from the same storm. It was then sunny for a while, but then it rained again as night fell, lots of lightning and tornados down here. Thats how big this storm was.

hurricane katrina is officialy over it is now a tropical storm headed inland saw the damage today on the news scary stuff i tell ya death toll is over 100 i for the short time i was at school (sick) i asked about a hurricane relief food drive and they agreed so we will be stting up a food drive and i am trying to get a hurricane relief airsoft game started here in kansas city

I am also trying to set up a charity game. I encourage anyone who can to do so, and I commend your efforts. Some other suggestions that V. Arena and I cooked up are: Teddy bear drive, for the children of the disaster area. Buying a few boxes of Star 30rd mags ($55) and having them painted/stamped/marked in some way, and selling them for $10-$15 each, procedes going to the disaster relief. Also, if your community wants to do an arm-band fund raiser, http://www.band-together.com does excellant quality armbands.

Aaron

I am also trying to set up a charity game.  I encourage anyone who can to do so, and I commend your efforts.  Some other suggestions that V. Arena and I cooked up are: Teddy bear drive, for the children of the disaster area.  Buying a few boxes of Star 30rd mags ($55) and having them painted/stamped/marked in some way, and selling them for $10-$15 each, procedes going to the disaster relief.  Also, if your community wants to do an arm-band fund raiser, http://www.band-together.com does excellant quality armbands.

Aaron

great idea i was gonna have it at my grandpas farm and buy some hotdogs cheap pop and charge 1.50 a meal and 15 dollars to go airsoft all day and there would be a donation box thuis will all be payed out of mine and my moms pocket we are still planning it ill post more when more arrives

I know this isn't the most prominent issue in anyone's mind right now, but has anyone said anything about how all this flooding will affect the New Orleans area in the long run? From what I've heard of NO there's a lot of swamps around about it; is this amount of flooding going to make the swamps bigger and thus make some areas of the city uninhabitable?

This is probably just me blowing things out of proportion, feel free to tell me if I'm being a dumbass.

Nope, you're right H_M. They reckon the costs this Hurricane is going to incur is more than 9/11. There are millions of people without homes. And thousands will be dead. It's going to take at least a month to pump out all the water from the city. By that time everything will be rotten and very dangerous to enter. IMO, they might as well just forget the whole thing and start all over again.

(BTW New Orleans is a bowl shape, it's something like 10 feet below sea level)

I Just sent out Boxes and Boxes of food, water, and what not to my mom's friend that is a Police officer in New Orlean's. He was at the superdome for About an 3 hour's and he gave out all our stuff, People cryed thanking Him, and I donated some money to the red cross, im selling some stuff to donate the money to them

because I Know they need food more than I need new airsoft Stuff, Airsoft will be around for a long time. So I dont need gear and new gun's right now

I've donated about 200$ so far, and the company my family owns/works for matches everything. So far all the employees have donated about 5000, growing by the hundreds each day. So we've put 10k toward it.

As for rebuilding NO..

Don't do it in the same spot.. please.. about 30 miles north will be great. I know it's sad, but it's just going to happen again... Plus 80% of the city is destoryed anyways.

Archived