Silenced Pistol....NEED...help....please

Cruiser1068

Well after my thouroughly enjoyable skirmish at Ground Zero yesterday I now fully understand the importance of having a TRULY silent pistol as a backup weapon.

I was utilising some serious stealth tactics and lepoard crawling around in the thick undergrowth and popping off unsuspecting sentries....but all my weapons were too noisy and attracted unwanted attention from nearby players after I had eliminated my target, soooo......

I want a backup pistol that is TOTALLY silent. Ive seen the P99 and was impressed as it was almost a whisper as it fired. Am I right in assuming that the only pistols that are truly silent are ones with fixed slides????

Basically guys Im calling on your collective experience.....if you have first hand experience of a silent pistol and were impressed then let me me know makes/models/prices etc.

Thanks

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, The Mk23 Socom, while it has a fixed slide, is accurate, as in the real steel, the slide can be locked down for stealth. The silencer works well giving a dull thud, as you'd expect from a silenced weapon. Its a decend gun, but you will need to be built like a brick s***er to fit it.

Damn, Sid, beat me to it! (us socom fanatics eh?)

Well, The Mk23 Socom, while it has a fixed slide, is accurate, as in the real steel, the slide can be locked down for stealth. The silencer works well giving a dull thud, as you'd expect from a silenced weapon.

One little thing...

It's a common myth that the Mk23 can work with the slide locked so it doesn't cycle.

That feature was only found on the prototype. It never made it into production.

I could go on about how HK built a gun with a locking slide but Colt (the other candidate for the SOCOM contract) couldn't get theirs to work. SOCOM struck the locking slide off the list of requirements (nothing to do with helping out Colt at all, no siree) and so, when the production gun came along HK had deleted it as a feature as well.

No freebies for you Mr US Army!

As for how loud it is, my "indoor range" involves hanging a target off a key rack next to my front door, opening the hallway doors and taking pot shots from the far side of the living room.

I've been able to do this (with the Mk23) while Mrs Sid is asleep on a couch in the living room. That's quiet. ;)

[edit]

SW: Yep. The P99 is very nice to hold (no surprise there, being designed by an olympic pistol shooter) but I don't find there's much wrong with the Marui Mk23.

The slide is plasticky. End of story. The frame, however is actually nice finished like that cos I find it means the stippled grip stays sharply defined.

It's definately a tool rather than a work of art though.

Ooh the plot thickens.... dont you just love different opinions!!!!

I think Im gonna have to get a supplier to get both in so I can have a play with both side by side.

So is that it? The P99 or the Socom? I heard there was a silenced Sig out there somewhere? Any truth in that?

Ooh the plot thickens.... dont you just love different opinions!!!!

I think Im gonna have to get a supplier to get both in so I can have a play with both side by side.

So is that it? The P99 or the Socom? I heard there was a silenced Sig out there somewhere? Any truth in that?

I believe that there is a threaded barrel + silencer for the Marui SIG

though the TM is GBB, which pretty much negates the effects of a silencer.

you coudl always get a different NBB, and try attatch a silencer yourself.

i considered buying a TM Steyr NBB, and putting a silencer on it, just because i wanted a silent NBB, but wanted something different.

not only is it different, but NBB pistols are very cheap, whereas the socom and P99 sets are over 100 quid.

If it happens, the 'leaky mag' problem with the SOCOM takes about ten minutes to fix. I imagine working with camera gear you've had to do a few 'roadside' repairs, so it shouldn't be a problem for you. And its not a big issue.

Size wise, it is big but it isn't an unwieldy lump, its nicely balanced even with the silencer (which is the whole point of the gun), although the LAM spoils it a bit, but you don't 'need' that.

The only real issue to consider is a holster, Redwolf do a good one:

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Category

I really like this gun, and using it as a primary for CQB is great fun. As a 'sneaky' back up its great if you don't mind the size hanging off your thigh.

Hope that helps

Demon

:devil:

though the TM is GBB, which pretty much negates the effects of a silencer.

you coudl always get a different NBB, and try attatch a silencer yourself.

i considered buying a TM Steyr NBB, and putting a silencer on it, just because i wanted a silent NBB, but wanted something different.

not only is it different, but NBB pistols are very cheap, whereas the socom and P99 sets are over 100 quid.

Don't forget the older marui NBBs don't have hop-up

http://www.airsoftscotland.com/acatalog/Non_blowback.html

Ooh, Airsoft Scotland conveniently have a Non-Blowback secion on their site and all the weapons mentioned here are on it...PLUS the that huge Desett eagle 10" fixed slide which fires at 420fps!!!!!

has anyone played with that and is there a silencer for it and how silent is it????

Also the mauser....does that have a silencer???

http://www.airsoftscotland.com/acatalog/Non_blowback.html

Ooh, Airsoft Scotland conveniently have a Non-Blowback secion on their site and all the weapons mentioned here are on it...PLUS the that huge Desett eagle 10" fixed slide which fires at 420fps!!!!!

has anyone played with that and is there a silencer for it and how silent is it????

No because it's way above the legal limit for Uk sites. duh. :rolleyes:

Well I heard some sites have no limits (Sterling Services?).... or maybe I just wanna be one of those annoying bastards that takes hot guns onto the field despite being told not to??? I'm pretty sure I could point a couple out in the last couple of weeks.

Anyway the ruger looks nice, I see airsoft Scotland do the regular non-silenced version. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can get the silenced one...or does anyone know a supplier?

Get the Mk23, i'm getting the P99 :P

but seriously, just get the one you like the look of, they both cost £105 :)

Cheap for a reason though, the range is *beep* on the cheap TM NNB's ;) i used to really like my NBB 1911, then my G19 came ;) and i saw the difference in range straight away <_<

you can get the Steyr NBB for around £35 if you look round different sites...

http://www.bbguns.co.uk do em i think...

if you want a tiny BUG thats stealthy, get a Mauser ;)

£45 off bbguns.co.uk ;) cheapest is £40 ;) and the mauser only has a very, very low mag cap, and you can't buy spare mags like the TM NNB's

and another thing with it, ITS CYBERGUN, do not buy from them ^_^

EDIT :

Anyway the ruger looks nice, I see airsoft Scotland do the regular non-silenced version. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can get the silenced one...or does anyone know a supplier?

Airsoft dynamics do the silenced version for £120, its not KJ works though (can't remember if its maurashin [sp?] or maruzen [sp?])

Also, you seem to be getting the same guns as me, i'm getting the P99 and Ruger MK1 :blink:

I can vouch for the Mk.23 NBB. Super quiet, truly sexy, a lot of metal parts (that said the main body is pretty shiny toy-ish plastic). I've never used a better airsoft pistol, the socom is just so accurate and powerful.....

The mags do tend to leak... the guy I bought my socom from had an old mag for it (the one that came with it when new) and it started to leak after being run on green for it's entire life, plus being dropped from 3 feet onto some tiles in our CQB area... it actually smashed the tiles to bits, but the mag kept going until I decided to buy the gun :(

Moral: Don't drop your gas mags onto a hard surface, and you can expect them to start leaking after running on green for a while.

Why you want 2 silenced guns Rob? And thanks for pointing that site out, its a Marushen. Only thing is it has a scale thing for level of sound suppression and places it around midway which doesnt sound that great? Unfortunately they also sell the Socom but dont have a scale for that so I've no way of comparing.

The level of quietness really is the key for me here. Being able to silently slot sentries around a base from deep in cover offers a huge advantage.

It seems I have 3 choices, The Mk23, the P99 or the Ruger. Need to play with them all side by side I think before I can decide.

Why you want 2 silenced guns Rob? And thanks for pointing that site out, its a Marushen. Only thing is it has a scale thing for level of sound suppression and places it around midway which doesnt sound that great? Unfortunately they also sell the Socom but dont have a scale for that so I've no way of comparing.

The level of quietness really is the key for me here. Being able to silently slot sentries around a base from deep in cover offers a huge advantage.

It seems I have 3 choices, The Mk23, the P99 or the Ruger. Need to play with them all side by side I think before I can decide.

I'm not getting 2 silenced pistols ;) can't afford the silenced MK1 <_<

P99 as my silenced gun

KJ Ruger MK1 as a high power target pistol ;)

Also, been doing some reading the other night about these and the Marushen Mk1 is appaarently the best sniper pistol ;) NBB's make so little noise anyway too :)

Imo how it is, is

MK23 - big ugly chunk of plastic that fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch ont he way down

P99 - very sleek and sexy pistol, also comes with a fairly good tac light, also meant to be quieter than the MK23 but can't say untill i get mine

Marushen Ruger MK1 silenced version - you have been watching assasins too much :P nothign to do with why i want one, honest :rolleyes: but a very nice pistol anyway ;)

All it comes down to with me is

1- looks

2- availability of spare mags

number 2 rules the MK1 out straight away, 1 rules out the Mk23 ;)

stop bashing the poor SOCOM. That pistol looks ok, Its designed as a killer, by the best weapons manufacturer in the world, H&K. Plus i guess it depends on taste, To me, its a modern, tactical beast. It does its job, and blends away into the undergrowth seaking no recognition of its task, the true black ops weapon.

Plus its the doggies danglers... but thats just me...

I think that ruling out gbbs is a mistake. They may not be as quite as a nbb, but they are way more fun. I am adding a silencer to my TM Hi-capa and making it into a steath pistol. it is not quite, but it is hard to locate the sound and confuses the ###### out of the enemy.

Marui SOCOM?

Worst purchase I ever made.  Works fine initially, then the mags die.  And TM in their infinite wisdom manufactured their mags so you need a dremel and som customisation to make them work again ever.

Having said that, they are indeed quiet...

Been running it on green have you?

Mk23 mags are totally reliable when you use 134a and it's only when you use green that they leak.

You know that there's a pressure relief valve in the mag, right?

Actually, I just got around to sorting out the relief valve properly on mine. I just had epoxy glue around the base of the mags but that wasn't cutting it in summer heat.

If you're looking at NBBs and still want a "explanable" lack of noise for the sake of realism... get one of these.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/r...ssin_review.htm

Yeah. Just don't expect to hit anything with it. The Mk1 is known for poor accuracy. Kinda defeats the object of a sneaky-beaky pistol.

[edit]

One other reason to chose the Mk23 over, well, pretty much any other airsoft gun: It's got the biggest trigger-guard in the world. Ideal for using while wearing gloves.

I think that ruling out gbbs is a mistake.  They may not be as quite as a nbb, but they are way more fun.  I am adding a silencer to my TM Hi-capa and making it into a steath pistol.  it is not quite, but it is hard to locate the sound and confuses the ###### out of the enemy.

I dont see how it becomes stealthy or any harder to locate if it doesn't actually make the gun any quieter....all the Blowback pistols Ive seen with silencers sound the same to me with or without the silencer on. The P99 is the only NBB pistol Ive seen in action and that is almost totally silent, pretty much just the sound of the hammer falling.

I don't need another pistol (I have 2) what I need is a silent backup weapon and an NBB seems to be the only choice right now. Its a shame as I like the look of the Western Arms Beretta M84FS and have a really nice leather shoulder holster that would fit it perfectly.....but it's blowback so no good for me. The P99 and probably teh Ruger and Socom unfortunately wont fit in my shoulder holster as its moulded to fit a Beretta but I'll sort that out once Ive made my choice....

Actually, I just got around to sorting out the relief valve properly on mine. I just had epoxy glue around the base of the mags but that wasn't cutting it in summer heat.

What did you do to fix it, Sid?

I've glued up the valve, not tried it with green tho'

:devil:

Archived