Star's New M14 SOPMOD AEG reviewed

well i got my SOPMOD and experimented with battery packs that will fit, and it turns out you CAN use a G36 "double-stick" type battery and also an M4 "nunchuk" battery will fit if you're careful (9.6v 1700mah nunchuk went in ok)

so at least there are a few options for those who dont wanna use a PEQ

star7_3.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got mine, lo and behold it was broken.

Zero One sent it out with the stock fully retracted in the case, but without the cheek piece being extended beyond the reciever.

The result? The left stock arm snapped off the butt, and the right one has bent. Zero One said they've had a few of these in now and are re-welding them as it seems whoever does the welding at Star isn't exactly a top-notch guy :lol:

Which leads me onto the hi-cap...

After the stock problem had made me a bit sad, and also discovering that my new battery for the gun doesn't work, I opened up the hi-cap box just for the sake of it.

The piece of metal that latches into the mag catch on the back of the magazine has been welded off-centre :lol: and won't fit in the magwell.

Ohh well, I guess it's just lemon week for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the stuff back from Zero one a week or so ago, lazy bastards.

Stock's been rebrazed and seems strong enough. The hi-cap though, same problem.

I said I might as well Dremel it instead of sending it back, and they said it must be a manufacturing error because it's exactly the same problem ;) and they'd take it back even when Dremelled and replace it.

But the mod makes it fit fine, I'm not that bothered with having a little bit of silver on the back of it :)

• 4 weeks later...

Recieved mine last week, i also ordered an an/peq (sorry guys, you may spank me later) 9.6V 3300mah & 2 highcaps.

I use a 9.6v 1100mah stick type atm (from my psg) & it works like a charm. But i have only the 90 round lowcap, so i haven't tested it yet in a skirm :) .

Next week i have one coming up & normally i should have my stuff then. so then i'll be able to give my real comments on the gun :)

Anyone have any further info on magazines? Is it confirmed that ONLY AC and Star Mags work? Anyone know where I can get Low-caps for not an outrageous price? Also does anyone know of anywhere in the states that sells the rifle? I have only found Wolf Armouuries, Zero One selling it right now. Seems to be like limited edition or something. If anyone has any info would be grealty appreciated. Also what batteries are you guys using? I really don't want a PEQ, but I guess if I have to I have to. And what is everyone doing for sling mounting options??

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, i would have some questions for you, happy Sopmod owners.

First one :

What is the width of the outer barrel ? Could it fit THIS KIND of front sight ? (to aim with the M14 rear sight)

Second one :

Could the battery storage fit THIS battery ? (it's a 9,6 V, 2000 mah, medium type)

Third one :

What is the barrel lenght ? Is it possible to fit a prom accurate barrel or is the hop-up system different from classic aeg ? (i saw aps style hop-up but i dunno how an "aps" hop-up looks like ...)

Last one :

How is the accuracy, comparing to a non-upgraded Marui AEG ... ?

Thanks.

Edited by Stab
Hi guys, i would have some questions for you, happy Sopmod owners.

First one :

What is the width of the outer barrel ? Could it fit THIS KIND of front sight ? (to aim with the M14 rear sight)

Second one :

Could the battery storage fit THIS battery ? (it's a 9,6 V, 2000 mah, medium type)

Third one :

What is the barrel lenght ? Is it possible to fit a prom accurate barrel or is the hop-up system different from classic aeg ? (i saw aps style hop-up but i dunno how an "aps" hop-up looks like ...)

Last one :

How is the accuracy, comparing to a non-upgraded Marui AEG ... ?

Thanks.

That sight won't work.That battery won't work, need a 9.6v 1100mah nunchuck.Barrel lenght 420mm.Accuracy is very good.

a 9.6v 1700mah "M4" type nunchuk battery will fit in

Finally got my battery adapter and got the battery charged... time for a test fire:

A few rounds in the gun just stopped firing, every time I try to fire it the motor tries to turn over and stops immediately.

I can see that there is a blockage in the feed and using the barrel cleaner discover that its actually the piston? Don't know whats gone wrong here but does anybody have any experience of this with theur sopmod?

Thanks all,

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

Well having read this great review I pondered, brought other toys then finally brought my new Sopmod on tuesday from Wolf Armouries. Wednesday it arrived, wow, love the looks, feel etc, so with batteries charged i connect and ....nothing, no motor noise, gear noise, so batts goes in M4 and M249 work great. 2 emails to Wolf, nothing so i phone them, i now get the "have i charged the battery right", "have i stripped it" etc etc, explain the problems and get "well you have our address best send it back then", so i`m now waiting to send back ( £16 thanks to weight).

Id like to ask the users here , where the spring reliease is on the left side, should there be an allen screw? as on mine there is no allen screw just a hole?

I have to say i may be peeved with the supplier but the m14 is great looking.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought the Star M14 SOPMOD and am having a strange problem.

As soon as I hook up the battery, the gun starts firing, without me pulling the trigger or anything. I have never seen aproblem like this before...does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

The only thing i can think of from my experience is when i upgraded a friends Marui M14. When i fitted it all together there are a series of springs which triggers the firing on the left side of the gearbox. The springs were quite weak and must have unhooked while i was putting it together again and started firing on its own :unsure: .

Firstly try and listen to things rattling. If there is rattling then you will have to get it fixed. If you know how to take it apart (do so)then look out for a spring and try to see where abouts it came from without further dismantling it. If your unsure to taking the thing apart take it back to where you got it from or ask a friend who has the know how of gearboxes and such.

Hope this helps. I could be wrong as the marui M14 gearbox is different to the Star's.

It seems like the problem has mysteriously fixed itself. I dunno if maybe something internally just needed to be broken in or what the deal was, but it seems to be working normally now. All I did was let it dry fire for a while and work the trigger a whole bunch, maybe something just needed to be lubricated, i dunno, its strange.

Thanks for the advice though Tony.

Now that this thing is shooting fine, I have to say its accuracy is quite impressive, far better than any AEG I have shot before and it has a formidable rate of fire (i'm currently using a 9.6v 1700mah nunchuck battery). Now I just have to get used to the weight and it should be pretty awesome in combat.

Edited by PARAIceman

Does anyone know where I could get a low capacity or mid capacity magazine for the SOPMOD? I have so far only seen high capacity ones for sale. I would like to get a real capacity mag or another 90 round mag like the one that came with the gun.

Are you guys familiar with either of these magazines?

http://www.tokyo-model.com.hk/trade/productview/1965

http://www.tokyo-model.com.hk/trade/productview/1966

They look identical to the Star 90 round mag and are different from the G&G and TM mags which look different than the Star.

Do you think either of those mags would work?

Edited by PARAIceman