King arms M14 RAS with tm M14 (Pics)

Now...before you read this. if you don't like the whole idea of a m14 with rails and want to post things like: "OMG you manage to turn a m14 into a m4" Please just leave this thread...

Anyway, back to the review.

It came with a tube protecting it and instructions

CIMG1092Medium.jpg

CIMG1093Medium.jpg

The unit seems to be made accurately. All the rails looked well made.

installing was easy althou the instructions weren't very good. you basically remove the original heat shield. clip one of the part into the receiver. Slip the little piece of metal sticking out in the front of the RAS into the front. put the space at the back, put all the screws in and you are done.

CIMG1087Medium.jpg

CIMG1086Medium.jpg

It holds really solid onto the receiver, no wobble whatsoever. The only problem is tht the rear part of the RAS, the little bit of rail tht is used for mounting scopes, it is a little low, so it's not quite level with the front bit. But it's not that much and for airsoft it's probably not going to affect anything. Just put a little electric tape at the bottom of the rear scope mount and it's fixed.

To my suprise the whole RAS is only 280g, it feels pretty much the same as the M14 with the plastic heat shield. It definitely not going to weight you down.

The right side of the RAS had trademarks

CIMG1088Medium.jpg

It seems to be accurate after comparing it with pics on the net. One thing I am not sure of is whether the serial is unique or not..

At the front of the RAS:

CIMG1090Medium.jpg

CIMG1091Medium.jpg

There is a slot cut into the ribs so that you can still use the iron sights.

My M14 is installed with a Prometheus 509mm tightbore and it's now pretty accurate. I can do a 1.5 inch group at 10m outdoor. However the slots that are cut on the barrel tht fixes it into the hopup unit is actualy different with the m14. So I had to cut new slots myself to get it to fit.

Another thing is tht the front of the plastic body doesn't seem to be strong enough for a harris bipod. The spring is too stiff and it doesnt feel rit when you unfold the legs out.

Anway I am happy with the RAS and the tm M14

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Edited by FUmiYAsu

thanks for all..

anyway, yea, I was going to mount more stuff on it but:

1) USPS is awfully slow and so my scope hasn't arrived yet

2) The flashlight mount I ordered with the RAS doesn't quite fit my flashlight well and doesn't fit the rail very well either...I will need to do a little filing first.

3) Was getting a laser for it but since it's impractical and most importantly I don't have any money left...So I dropped the idea...

Anyway I might mount the light and a reflex on it for some pics tonight...

Can I ask what bipod you have installed, and is it hard to do it?

it's a harris bipod, the br "rotating" model (ie the shortest one). I am not sure but I think the bipod came with this sling stud. As there is already a hole in the M14's stock I basically just screwed the stud in with the nut included and installed it. But I don't like teh feel, it just feels a bit weak (the stock) So I won't be installing it on my rifle, I just added it for the photos...

not seen that kind of sight before..

It's a ATN compact reflex sight. I think it's not quite worth the money it costs, you could save up another £60 and get a eotech...however it's a good sight, it has a light sensor tht automatically adjusts the brightness of the reticle and it has three reticle you can choose from by pressing the button. You can also get it to output the brightest setting. The thing is waterproof and solid. So overall it's nice, it's just a bit too expensive.

To be honest I would probably like a sopmod more since the m14 is too long to be used all the time and not very versatile. If only the STAR one is select fire, has movable bolt and have teh same finish as a tm m14 then I would be really happy..

Lets hope someone will make some sort of modular stock for the tm m14...

ahh, thanks for the info on the sight. yeah, an eotech sort looks the must nuts - probably only because we're so used to seeing them on weapons in photos, much like the aimpoint was.

the SOPMOD m14 is *heavy* so i dont know if it'll be any major benefit - its trading either length for weight and vice versa lol...

yes, the downside to the star model is no moving bolt, dummy rear sight [but then theres no forward sight so no loss there], and no select fire. but it does look cool and you have all the rails you need..

oh and the battery issue too.. solved by a PEQ but it makes it very front heavy..

[hence a forward vertical grip being useful..]

star_sopmod_m14_005.jpg

yous does look very nice though.. and great pics too..

Thanks

Was gonna get the STAR one but I guess I just can't stand the wait...I am probably gonna get a shorter outer barrel, M1A scout sort of length...just need to do some photoshop first thou to see if it will look good...and of cuz need to wait for some one to make one...

na...I guess I am being picky here but what I wanted is the scout length:

M14_barrels.jpg

The scout length i wanted is the middle one, the G&G one is the socom length which is the one to the right..So it's slightly shorter than wht I want...

Then there is the fact tht if I had the money to buy an soc 16 I would probably save up a bit more and get an SOPMOD... :D

thanks for the suggestion anyway..

Edited by FUmiYAsu