1000 dead in Iraq yesterday

kjs7

Shows how paranoid the iraqis have become, one mention of the words suicide bomber had them running and trampling eachother. Its understandable though, its a serious threat which occurs every day over there. The country is also rife with suspicion, hate and paranoia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_bridge_stampede

Wow, because all that hurricane ###### this wasnt on American news yesterday.

Huge shock for me.

You didnt hear about it?

it was all over English news on the day it happened

Wasnt there a thread on this forum about it?

That's the World News Report for you.. Note how the word 'World' can be used to describe the sphere of one's perception, not necessarily the whole of a planet.

Sickens me to think that people would kill the weak and trample old people to get themselves to safety. Then it sickens me that Americans would rather shoot looters and preserve Capitalism and not rescue survivors.

I'd rather die helping a fallen kid than run and live the rest of my life knowing what I did, or what I could have done. People need to think like Minbari a bit more.

Someone shouts "bomber!" and people panic, they cramp up in the narrow space.

Someone trips and falls to the ground, the people around him try to pick him up or step over him, but the people behind who cannot see what is going on keep pushing, trying to get away from the percieved danger.

More people fall over, it's so tightly packed that they aren't seen by people just behind them, no one can look down and see the ground, peoples bodies are so close there's no way to see what you're treading on, and getting to safety and not falling down is the main thing on your mind.

I think it's a tragedy, not sick. No one deliberately killed anyone.

Where do you get the idea that americans would rather shoot looters than rescue survivors?

Surely americans would rather rescue survivors and have people decent enough not to loot?

Surely the sick part is that people are taking advantage of the situation, and rather than trying to help others, they're lining their own pockets with stolen TV's and DVD players and jewelley?

It would take what 3 or 5 people to form quick cordon around a downed person until they are on their feet? Even in voluntary situations like moshpits I've seen supposed 'Punks' trample girls that are fainting or fallen and had to carry them to safety. It's times like that when people should act like Humans and not stampeding animals, whats the point of a conscience and eyes when you aren't willing to use them?

Of course the situations is scary and the feeling when a lot of people act a way mob mentality takes over (I'm partially inclined to believe pheromones are involved) but still - it takes seconds to help someone up - probably longer to walk over them and risk a twisted ankle. Of course it's a tragedy when people die, but the fact they were killed by peoples feet and crushing force - that sickens me, unneccessary deaths.

S'what I heard on the news.. also saw a sub-headline that appeared to be a quote that said "Forget the survivors - Shoot the looters", but that was frontpage so might just be tabloid-fodder but I saw something similar on TV which I'm more inclined to believe.

Just had a quick look at bbc.co.uk can't find anything that looks like what I saw..

Edit: Spelling

In a mosh pit, people aren't fleeing for their lives, so it's easy to create a space to get the fallen out.

Humans are animals, and when in a group and scared, we do stampede.

In a tightly packed group, much more tightly than a mosh pit, you don't have much choice other than to be taken by the flow.

You may see someone fall down, but if others didn't, or don't hear you calling for them to stop, the in a few seconds you're carried too far away to be able to help anyway.

Talking of looters, this might be interesting to you if you missed the contraversy

http://news.yahoo.com/page/photostatement

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/09/...ersy/index.html

Phoenix: I think he's talking about the dead in Iraq mostly dude :)

Psaldorn: Yeah it is sickening from an overall point of view, and the main travesty is the time it's taken to respond, but the survivors are at risk until the looters are taken care of, they are firing *fruitcage* on hospitals!! It's not a good headline,and it incites people to think the wrong thing more than anything else.

Still, at least it underlines the calibre of the Bush administration and should see him out of there in 2008 at least.

I'm amazed there isn't a thread about the hurricane, or am I being retarded?

...I'm partially inclined to believe pheromones are involved...

Actually, from my experience in the club enviroment, I would have to slightly dissagree with you. To put it in the simple terms we use at the club to describe the situation (fights, not stampeding), Males have a "player face" and a "war face". Essentially, when a guy is trying to woo women, he usually has a laid back expression, and is very relaxed. When I fight occurs (usually you can tell who is going to start one with this method), most of the males get a guarded, alert face. It is much more tense. Essentially, think of your face now, reading the forum... now think of your face when you're about to enter a CQB situation in airsoft... different, right? Tension is transfered, as opposed to pheromones. When a guy sees that serious "war face", he is naturally inclined to put up his guard as well. So we can tell who is a threat at the club based on their facial expressions.

And if not who, we can at least tell that a fight is about to start. Another problem with the "war face" is that more fights break out. When men are guarded, they are more prone to deffend themselves, and the adrenaline is pumping more. So just putting on the "war face" can pottentially start a fight, as it will subconsciously put the other males into a fight-or-flight mode. And in a close situation, like a dance club, where there are too many people crowded into a small space, the concept of flight (fleeing a threat, as opposed to defending yourself) is basically impossible. So that just leaves fight mode.

Hopefully I didn't word that in too confusing of a manner.

Aaron

BTW: It is important to note that the whole reason for the "war face" is a natural way for males to protect themselves. The physical description is the senses hightening. You feel more (or go numb, depending on the situation/person), you hear more clearly (or the volume lowers, also depending on the person), and your eyes percieve things at a much higher rate. Vision is the most noticeable sense. It is also the primary reason that the "war face" is so different, aside from stiffer, quicker movement of the body.

Archived