S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Impressions.

Samm

I am referring to the up and coming by hopefully Q1 2006, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl game.

Homepage: http://www.stalker-game.com/

Anyhoo, for those in the know about S.T.A.L.K.E.R., I was wondering if anyone had attempted any impressions, or felt the urge to do so, anything :D

You know; NBC suits, European/Soviet/Eastern Bloc gear, gas masks, AKs. That kind of thing. Some choice examples of gear from the original screenshots (2/3 years old, the game looks a lot better now): 1 2 3 4 5

I thought these were some good ones, which people sent into the site (Fan Photo's on the main site if anyone's interested): Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3 Photo 4

Another shnazzy one belongs to ßå$tĮРon the RCG gallery: Photo.

The game leaves me feeling a serious urge to do, something. Probably skirmish in a ridiculously hot NBC suit and gas mask.

EDIT: I'll end up doing my own tomorrow, but as it's dark now I... Can't be bothered.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's 2006 now? I remember looking at this site along with Ubar back in 2004. Back then it seemed very impressive. Then I seemed to think that I would receive gratification quicker by:

a) saving up

B) seeking permission and awaiting certification of this from appropriate authorities

c) going into the zone

d) shooting some wild mildly radioactive wild life

e) eating said wild life

f) coming home, now making those gigacounters make funny noises every time I flashed them over my intestinal tract.

Always thinking about food :rolleyes:

Yeah it seems to keep getting pushed back, but in a good way it seems. Ironing out all of the creases, the videos look very promising.

For those people who can only look and not read, I shall set the ball rolling. Hopefully this will spark your enthusiasm.

stalker1.jpg

Kinda off-topic but is this now going to be using the HL2 engine? Looks like it.

I recall seeing a trailer for this with some game I played a year or so ago and thinking it looked cool.

On topic, sort of, I was considering getting some kit together, along with one of those odd russkie gasmasks and doing a HL2 Combine load-out. Then I thought better of it.

Im really looking forwards to it, finally something innovative. The prequel was called Codename: Outbreak and already had ridiculously huge levels but this baby is going to kick even more butt. A quick look at the features list should make anyone interested in games smile, however I think the developers are a bit overextended with the world they created :P If they manage to realise all the ideas they had, this game will rule everything away that was there previously.

When it comes to outfits, the Stalkers in the game dont really use Camo, they just put on whatever they have + some gas mask and an ak 47. They still look great, though. Shouldnt bee too hard to slip into their role, but Im too lazy and I dont have a russian gun :P

On the... alpha I saw round a friends house... which he then deleted immediately (safe?) there were all types of guns, yeah. Including a cool minigun B)

I remember playing it and thinking "This is cool, all this Eastern Bloc chic". And then Half-Life 2 came out, which may well have been dubbed in Russian. How I laughed :D

I think Russian M4 jackets in 'Gorod' pattern and shambolic, zombie-like creatures with no hair will feature heavily in this game. So that's a photo-op round your house then Bill?

Haha I want to see that!

I can mabye link you to a 300 mb video of a tourist group doing the chernobyl tour. Initially, the tour was planned to last about 2 hours I think but people wanted to leave after 30 minutes already because its dead silent in Prypjat.

Id be interested in visiting that place one day, dont fear the radiation.

Post dem pics :P

Chernobyl is a creepy place great for a game

Found some real images here checked with a mod for the ok, but should say has lots of creepy derelict buildings (Ravenhom HL2, horror film set or of course S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style) and one science dummy (the kind for biology) which made me look twice to check it wasn't a radioactive zombie monster :P

haha also any more impressions could photoshop themselves in :D

• 2 years later...

If you download the Oblivion Lost mod for Stalker (which tries to restore the original features of the game which were cut out so it could be published in a timely manner), the mercenaries are all Russian. Apparently in their original skins they wear Russian camouflage and Splav vest with spetsnaz patches or Russian flags. Kind of an interesting choice considering the developing team was Ukrainian.

Also, why do you think they used the Groza instead of the Vepr?

Archived