S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Impressions.

Samm

whats it like to be there? Obviously, it's not as extreme as the game, but i've heard that there are mutations around in plants and animals, recorded ones being mutant trees and albino swallows, and unofficialially extra limbs etc.

Does it make you paranoid to be surrounded by so much radiation? Personally, i'd like to visit, but radiation poisoning scares the c##p out of me and cancer dosn't sound like much fun either- I know it's supposed to be ok in small doses, but I don't really trust that at all - I think it's pot luck whether anything happens or not.

-matt

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the fish were fething massive! We stopped for a short while at a bridge near the reactor and, along with some of the personnel working there, lobbed some bread in, massive fish. Like I said, the kittens were all bog-eyed too, something I assumed was down to where they were born. It's suprising how much life is flourishing there, to say it is one of the worst disasters known to man, it's teeming with life.

The radiation was never much of a worry, we were told what to be careful of and our minders had the meters to check for the hazardous levels. Some of the people working in the Zone only get to work a couple of minutes a day so as to ensure they don't get exposed to too much nasty levels of radiation. No, I am not that paranoid about the radiation. Just don't step on the moss. ;)

Radiation and it's effects aside, the place is ace! There are billboards alongside the roads and in the towns and villages with all the soviet propaganda on which I kept getting one of the minders to translate for me. I love that sort of stuff.

Don't step on the moss!!? Is that because it releases radioactive particles, or because it's so mutated it jumps up and bites your leg off ;)

Back on stalker-ish topics, some more piccies:

White coat from the game, looks like a real life chemical protection lab coat; the rest is fairly obvious surplus:

cimg0055rv5.jpg

anomaly fan art, not my work:

stalkerfa416srcah4.jpg

member of gsc team in pripyat:

dsc03943tq4.jpg

RBMK reactor, for those of you who are curious:

rbmkschemerp0.jpg

regards,

matt

This thread made me do two things: Start playing Stalker again and feel sad because I can't afford to go buying a whole new loadout. :(

I might try doing some anomaly photoshops though. That one looks pretty cool and it'd be great to see the other realised. Maybe I could create some smart layers to apply to other photos...

I was thinking of doing some "proper" shots of my loadout at some point (in an abandoned railway tunnel) So maybe you could do the honours and add anomalies?

Also, stalker loadouts can be dirt cheep- mine consists of a georga at asda coat (green parka, I got mine free when I swapped another coat with a mate, but probably no more than £15.00), british lightweight trousers (50p from a dealer at chatham), soviet gas mask (birthday present, £10 inc postage off of ebay) and soviet leather belt (£10 off of ebay)

The loadout is basically just civies and a respirator, get a hoodie and some jeans, with a surgical mask, and you're done.

Also, people are welcome to use the new stalker sig, just lop the executive incomes bit off and re-post on image shack.

-matt

This thread made me do two things: Start playing Stalker again and feel sad because I can't afford to go buying a whole new loadout. :(

Hehe. I have started replaying STALKER yesterday, with the Oblivion Lost Mod... very nice, it makes the Game feel much more complete. Only the random Blowouts suck when there's no Bunker around.

Also, I have ordered one of those Russian Gasmasks displayed before, the one that's also in COD4. Now I can do a SNORK Loadout... :D

Cool; I just got the 1.5 patch and it's made the game unusable (crashes when you load a game) So I have reinstall tommorow along with all my mods.

On the gasmask, don't forget to replace the lenses- I emailed a polycarbonate dealer on ebay and he's cutting some for me (2mm thick 65mm diameter) so i'll publish the results when I get hold of them.

-matt

I know the fix to that problem. If you had any mods installed when you patched the game one of the config entries doesn't update so the saves don't work. Open the system.ltx file in notepad and look for the

[script]
current_server_entity_version = #

entry.

It should have the value 7. Autosaves worked for me but any manual saves made after the patch would CTD when I tried to load them even after I changed this value so you may have to find an earlier save which works.

I love STALKER, If it were possible, I'd use a SEVA suit in a skirmish, they look so cool.

STALKER is truly awesome, before it, I didn't even know about the OC-14 Groza and the VSS Vintorez. Both of which are truly brilliant weapons. Someone should hurry up and do an airsoft-Groza already. That would be cool...

Indeed, the groza is legendary. But personally i'm all for the beryl armoured suit. As for the groza, i'm trying to build one, all I need now is a cyma ak-74, but I can't get hold of one for cheap enough to justify butchering :(

Anyway, anyone thinking of getting a loadout together, get some pics up :D, i'll try and do some more soon

-matt

As much as I'd love a STALKER load out, we get horribly humid and hot weather here for more than half the year. Of course, in the winter a loadout like that would be perfect.

Any idea on what a STALKER may wear in the summertime?

That and I'd like to get a loadout that looks just like the one that Strelok and the other high level STALKERs wear. Here's what I'm talking about. Don't watch the video unless you've already beaten the game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i-WjP0i-Itw

The related videos also have some good shots of his clothing.

Some of the fish were fething massive!

dan abnett fan? snap ;)

Sorry to go back, but does anyone know what the poncho is in Samm's post on page 2;? also, what are the combats the guy on the cliff top is wearing? They look like a wierd urban dpm.

-matt

the combats are what the russians call SMOG pattern, its effectively a copy of DPM and readily available in most places. resoldier stock it i believe.

not sure about the poncho tho.

pete

the combats are what the russians call SMOG pattern, its effectively a copy of DPM and readily available in most places. resoldier stock it i believe.

not sure about the poncho tho.

pete

Hmmm.... maybe. They're definately modified though- I think he's bleached them and died them grey- the other ones are too green. I think I'll go with ukrainian or an urban dpm clone if I get any new stuff in.

Anyhoo, some more screenshots; I'm especially pleased with the snork one, I had to mod my suit to be immune to slashes so I could get it; also the freedom guy is def. wearing flecktarn:

sevagr3.png

@phate125, remeber stlakers are just civilians who are in the zone for some reason or another, as long as you can include some sort of "protection"-i.e a gasmask or a balaclava into your loadout you can syill look the part in lighter clothing.

-matt

Alright, I've taken some screencaps of various videos and prerendered cinematics.

Strelok goes through 3 main outfits.

The first is the low class STALKER load out with the white hoodie and jeans. This is when he first left home.

2008-01-29_225913.jpg

Then there's the one he is wearing when the other STALKER discovers him in the wreckage of the death truck. This is also what he wore when he first entered the Chernobyl Power Plant. This looks like a MOLLE vest with some fancy cutting and other clothing made in the same style as his final SEVA suit.

2008-01-29_230142.jpg

2008-01-29_230114.jpg

2008-01-29_225157.jpg

2008-01-29_225114.jpg

2008-01-29_224907.jpg

Other STALKERS wear this same thing from time to time.

2008-01-29_225316.jpg

2008-01-29_225430.jpg

2008-01-29_225401.jpg

2008-01-29_224127.jpg

Archived