S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Impressions.

Samm

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm considering it. The Gorka looks like it would be a good base and the body armour shouldn't be too difficult to make a pattern for. Then I could make it out of whatever material looks suitable. Add clips for a molle backpack of some kind and have a blast belt to carry mags etc.

I think this type of gas mask http://www.surviveall.co.uk/shop/product.p...=249&page=1 would work well to give the impression of the more advanced tech seen later in the game. I could run hoses from the filter mounts into the backpack to make it look like a re-breather.

The problem in the end is cost. I don't have the money to shell out for a £60 gorka or £80 gas mask, so it may be a case of finding cheaper alternatives or leaving it until I'm out the other side of uni, which is a long way off and I'll probably have forgotten about this game by then.

I'm considering it. The Gorka looks like it would be a good base and the body armour shouldn't be too difficult to make a pattern for. Then I could make it out of whatever material looks suitable. Add clips for a molle backpack of some kind and have a blast belt to carry mags etc.

I think this type of gas mask http://www.surviveall.co.uk/shop/product.p...=249&page=1 would work well to give the impression of the more advanced tech seen later in the game. I could run hoses from the filter mounts into the backpack to make it look like a re-breather.

The problem in the end is cost. I don't have the money to shell out for a £60 gorka or £80 gas mask, so it may be a case of finding cheaper alternatives or leaving it until I'm out the other side of uni, which is a long way off and I'll probably have forgotten about this game by then.

A better idea might be to get a £5 olive green nbc suit off of ebay and modify that. Knee pads, elbow pads, radiation badge on the side of the hood, foam "balliistic" plates and you should be done. For the gas mask, get a soviet military one.

-matt

The problem with NBC suits is that they are vastly uncomfortable to wear. Might work as a stopgap measure but I'd rather do things right if I'm going to do them at all.

And yeah I'd get a sov gas mask to start with. They just look too cool too pass up :D

I have a question for those with the Russian M41 Gas Mask, I think I saw mikoyan waring one in another Thread:

How the hell do you get these on without ripping your Ear and Scalp off? :D

(PS: I got it now... I don't envy People who have to wear those. Uncomfortable, Hot, Reduced Breathing, irritates my Skin.... looks very cool tough)

Hopefully, you got one thats already been issued and not a new one, they slide on easier- mine still has mould release agent on it, and it sticks to my hair when I put it on, like a balloon.

Otherwise, put your chin right in and stratch it over your head so your ears are covered. To make it less uncomfortable, get a hose instead of the filter and run that into your webbing so you don't require any effort to breath.

Unfortunately, the only places you can get the hoses are online fetish shops (there are a few on ebay) so take your pick.

-matt

Just picked up some ukrainian combats, they're fantastic- I used to have a set of "flora" and it's the same stuff in a different pattern. I'm going for the "military stalker" look now or possibly the spetsnaz look, and i've got a large "trefoil" badge to make it more chernobyl and less ukrainian army.

Do you think a chicom chest rig would be good for teh webbing? I think i'd be a bit nuts to buy more now.

Pics up soon,

matt

Chicom defo works for the the military look. I'm conflicted now though; either I can afford a complete stalker loadout complete with a shiney new AK or I can upgrade my computer in time for the sequel :(

Or I can put it towards something useful like uni funds but that's boring :P

well, here we go, chernobyl "spetsnaz" loadout. I have no idea why I look so wasted, I just do: :P

spetsnazjpgin8.jpg

It's pretty simple, just ukrainian combats, a "trefoil" (radiation) badge off of ebay, soviet webbing belt, splinter cap (would be ukranian but I can't find mine) with soviet cap badge, ak-105, german para boots and t-shirt. The chicom rig looked awfaul, so I'm going with belto order soviet stuff instead, although my pattern 58 looked ok but not stunning.

lets see some of your loadouts,

matt

Theres no real reason to, sometimes travelling lightis the best thing, remember in the field I will have water and mag pouches on the belt fopr load carrying, which is augmented by the jacket (often overlooked). Without any webbing or chest rig I can move faster, and I don't have to worry too much about extra kit all the time as i'm in mainly friendly territory and can count on air support for extra firepower or being picked up if things get too rough.

Also, remembr I can't spend loads of money on extra kit as a) I don't have it and B) i'm about to leave home.

cheers for your commants,

mat

• 1 month later...

I was thinking of updating mine (as it's a bit c**p at the moment, frankly). I was going to remove the visor from a german motorcycle helmet and krylon it for the helmet, but I was wondering what the webbing/chest rig in the game is?

Also, has anyone seen them in game wearing different headgear? Or any of the other soldiers weraing ukrainian TTsKO?

regards,

matt

There's a pretty epic looking Stalker loadout in some artwork here. It kind of looks like some US Army surplus M-1967 stuff, at least the butt pack does. This isn't a typical load out though and I've never seen a Stalker like this in-game. I'll probably be basing my loadout off this picture though.

Lol, thats my desktop. The backpack is almost definately an old soviet army one, you could be right about the webbing as it looks too green to be soviet, but it could just be other eastern bloc stuff, maybe polish, which is more likely. Also, as it's a painting and not a photograph it could just be made up. My first loadout (shown earlier in this thread) was based on that- just remember you can use basically anything as long as you combine it it a gas mask to get the right look, as a lot of the clothes in the game are just civies.

Does anyone know how to get the visor off off the aforemention helmet? It's giving me hell and i'm just going to end up chewing the top of the screws if i'm not careful.

Also, for anyone who's interested, sovietarmystuff are selling chemical proof raincoats on ebay, and they look very stalker-esque.

regads,

matt

Archived