UTG MP5 AEG Dissected! Quite impressive really...

staticzero

Sounds like you need a new cylinder head and a new o-ring for your piston head. Yes you need to take apart your gear box. If you are not comfortable with the "learning experience" then take it to a quality airsoft store and have them do it. Airsoft Atlanta just started up thier internet repair service, where you can send in your parts to them.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, I just opened her up and WHOOEY, the compression was soo bad it was in the minus numbers.... and the spring guide ring (ring around the rear side) was shattered, I don't think this helped the sad performance any.... only one spring popped out and the bevel gear popped out of its hole.

I am currently working on getting replacement parts ASAP, ohh and I also replaced the spring with the one from my UTG MP5 Spring gun (one in the AEG was left compressed when I got the gun, only bout 240fps).

I will let you guys know how it comes along...

Rattler

Wow..what a mass of info.....Excellent work Static...You're probably not monitoring this thread anymore but if you are thanks..I took my UTG MP5 (SDR5) Team SD apart today... 3 and a half hours to break it all down, open the gearbox and what did I find. I'l have to tell you as I didnt take pics as I wasn't too confident to take on more than one thing at a time, anyway..

The cylinder head is already ported (shock)

The rubber o ring is okay, bit of a rough edge but not bad (changed it)

The motor is soldered to the wires in the handle (bummer) one of the soldered joints broke when the motor was coming out

The wiring is quite a heavy(heavier than what was in yours originally but not as beefy as the 16 you put in with the deans)

The rest is pretty much the same as yours.

I got the gearbox and motor back together in the handle and temporarily joined the wires to the motor, did a few dry fires and it all seemed to be fine, i'll get it together properly when ive got sum connectors on the wires for the motor maybe change the spring and guide, will most likely leave the rest, if i've any bother with the motor pulling the spring i'l just up the battery to a 9.6V..

Anyway time to go..

Gareth (Northern Ireland)

Im also having some difficulty with my UTG MP5... when i press the trigger, the motor starts runnning but not the gears in the gearbox...so i assumed it wasnt catching...

i took the plate off on the bottom of the handle and the motor seemed to feel loose so when i push it up and then try and fire again it seems to make a grinding noise or something im not sure....

i have no idea what to do

please help...thanks

Im also having some difficulty with my UTG MP5... when i press the trigger, the motor starts runnning but not the gears in the gearbox...so i assumed it wasnt catching...

i took the plate off on the bottom of the handle and the motor seemed to feel loose so when i push it up and then try and fire again it seems to make a grinding noise or something im not sure....

i have no idea what to do

please help...thanks

There is a little metal disk in the plate you remove to get to the motor, if this is not present and you have fiddled with the allen key hole you will have to put something in there and adjust the allen key so the motor moves up to mesh with the gears in the gear box

This is a very long topic...

your just making it longer with useless posts like that. The reason that it is stuck on full auto is because the stock selector plate is cheap junk. You can get new ones online, I think airsoft atlanta and evike carry them.

Rattler

My brother's gun did the same thing. (the semi not working)

In the gear box under the gear that pulls the piston back,(I can't remember the name) there is a switch. when the gun is on semi the switch is engaged. I dont know how to fix it but that is how the semi works.

It is different for EVERY gun. You can't just toss in the same size shims someone else used and say it will work. That's just a problem especially with entry level guns with lower quality controll. The parts specs are not as tight, and tollarances are too loose.

Here is the shim guide I used as I just reshimed mine (for the second time since I got it) today:

http://www.858airsoft.com/upgrades/shim.html

I noticed the today when I was cleaning out my gearbox, that it needed another shim job, so I did that today.

Also, you guys who have done upgrades. If you've had them in there for a long while, you might want to consider opening your gearbox, and taking EVERYTHING out. Then washing it out and throughly drying it. The relube and reshim it. Made a difference for me for sure. Seems to have a slightly higher rate of fire, and is actually a touch quieter.

And remember tons of lube is not a good thing.

My brother's gun did the same thing. (the semi not working)

In the gear box under the gear that pulls the piston back,(I can't remember the name) there is a switch. when the gun is on semi the switch is engaged. I dont know how to fix it but that is how the semi works.

The gear is called the Spur Gear and the Switch is called the cut off lever.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to open my gearbox recently to put in a new spring guide, and everything sort of shot out. So I reshimmed and got all the gears back in, but I don't know how to put in the anti-reversal latch. No matter how I put it in, it seems to be the wrong way, and lock up the gears the wrong way. Where could I find a pic of how it goes in?

I had to open my gearbox recently to put in a new spring guide, and everything sort of shot out.  So I reshimmed and got all the gears back in, but I don't know how to put in the anti-reversal latch.  No matter how I put it in, it seems to be the wrong way, and lock up the gears the wrong way.  Where could I find a pic of how it goes in?

Here's a really bad picture of it. I tried to outline the spring to show you how it goes in. Basicly you want the flat side of the latch facing the bevel gear. Put the short side of the axel down in the gearbox. Make sure the spring is under the latch but wraps back towards the top.

post-14854-1161403866_thumb.jpg

Well, I think I've fixed my gearbox, but now I'm not sure where the screws go now :angry:. This gun was disassembled about two months ago, and I didn't have the right parts until yesterday. Think I could get a picture of where the screws go? I know where the hop-up screws and everything go, I just need to know which screws go on the body.

So yeah, I don't recommend that method. If you want to try being lazy first, and you don't mind spending the money, I'd try a different motor (maybe an EG700 or EG1000). They're easy to swap, and if it doesn't work out and you have to rewire it anyway, then you'll have good wiring and a good motor. Can't hurt anything but your bank account. :P

You couldnt put in an eg1000 without new bushings, the plastic ones would melt under that speed and with the pressure of an m100, the gun wouldnt last a month.

However, with metal bushings and all the other inexpensive upgrades, you would have a gun almost as good as a TM.

• 2 weeks later...
They sell things that do this already.  It'd be easier and not too much more expensive to just buy one.

Look for the hi-cap winder on this page.

http://airsoftatlanta.com/access.htm

thanks for the help, i have never seen one of those before. But do u know if they sell them for cheaper anywhere else?

Archived