Reader's Reviews forum

Well, there are still quite a few readers' reviews in the Reader's Review section that are not in the database. But I don't see any problem at all with comments and discussion posted in the review comments section as long as the first post clearly states and makes a link to the review it's referring to.

Better ask Arnie about it, and maybe he'd like to designated a new sub-section for it.

That's what I was wondering. As Ghost Rider pointed out somewhere else, a few people are less than objective in their reviews, and it would be nice to be able to talk about that in public, rather than through the PM system. What I like with the Reader's Review forum is that with all the comments, it evolves into a larger overall picture of the item in question.

:zorro:

I totally agree that some of the reviews seem to be of lower quality than that of others, but we can't expect all of us to write at a professional level and describe facts without putting in any subjective comments. In fact, we do welcome all different personal views of all writers (within limit of the laws and rules of course).

The hope is that the readers read every review with an open and critical mind of the writing (merely looking at the score of a product that has only couple votes in the worst possible way to base your buying decision on), and have the review items to be voted by as many owner of it as possible to average out the bias.

Nevertheless, some discussion of a reviewed item is always welcome when the need arises, and now the question is just where to do it.

Nevertheless, some discussion of a reviewed item is always welcome when the need arises, and now the question is just where to do it.

I think the only logical place is really the "Review Comments" section as I think you already mentioned. The way I understand it that section can handle comments on reviews found under "Reviews" and I guess now, the "Review Database" as well.

The database maybe for those that want to take the time and effort to make a somewhat formal review since submissions require approval prior to final posting. The reader reviews will be more "informal" I guess. An open venue for anyone wanting to air his/her 2 shillings worth on a product, service or retailer. Formal, informal...long, short...technical or not...illustrated or not...the reader review forum can cater to it along with the associated responses.

Just MHO. :D

The database maybe for those that want to take the time and effort to make a somewhat formal review since submissions require approval prior to final posting.  The reader reviews will be more "informal" I guess.  An open venue for anyone wanting to air his/her 2 shillings worth on a product, service or retailer.  Formal, informal...long, short...technical or not...illustrated or not...the reader review forum can cater to it along with the associated responses.

Just MHO.  :D

That is true, but the review database does really need to be THAT formal. We don't want two people start chatting there and post one-liners, but a review can be as short as just one paragraph, and as long as you use decent spelling and grammar, and common courtesy, the review will be approved. And you can easily update your own review when you have more experience with it.

• 2 months later...