Western Loadout.

Hellooo there! Finally I can dump some expertise into Arnies (I am still 3/4 guns short of my ultimate western collection, but it's getting there) in my favourite genre. Awesome :D

Right. Okay. It's not an ideal situation, firstly. Bad news is coming now I'm afraid :(

I have the Marushin M1892 winchester and the M1887 Guard's gun, and the superior is the M1887 by a freakin' mile. The whole shebang is in this thread here, but basically it's the mutt's nut's in terms of power, consistency, cool factor etc. Only problem is the shell catching, or rather the difficulty associated therewith.

The M1892 winchester (call it that for our purpose here) is great, all wood and metal whereas the M1887 is mostly plastic and some metal (the whole lever action and one or two small fittings), but it does have the reputation of poor quality control....

Mine works fine, but the whole front - literally everything in front of the receiver - is affixed at an angle of about 5 degrees to the receiver! As you sight along it you can see the whole front of the gun is canted to the right. Slightly offputting.

It doesn't affect the operation, and the movement and action is just beautiful, but it can go wrong very easily, mine hasn't but I can see where it will. Also BBs will often roll straight out of the barrel if you tilt down, not exactly multi-purpos if you can only shoot at slightly elvated angles <_< I can't remember anything about the Hop unit, I have too many guns to remember every detail of all of them and this one is lost I'm afraid.

It almost certainly is the cause of this of course, but I can't help on that one right now for sure.

The loading is a bit tricky on the M1892. You have to push BBs in from the side and they often wont locate properly as there's no defined chute for them - the breech is the right size for a bullet but not a BB!! If this had been redone in 8mm, and if it ever is, it will *fruitcage* ing rock, especially given the incredible quality of Marushin's 8mm range so far (the M1887 being a prime example)

The M1887 shells are every inch a work of quality, clean, precise, solid and made of high quality plastic and brass, they're even reallly shiny! :lol: It makes a world of difference, compare them to the maruzen shells for their M870 and M1100 and they are just superb. Better than the Marui SPAS/ M3 sheels too, just great all round.

The spread of fire from the M1887 is marvellous too; consistently firing an spreading out, great power (shatters thick beer bottles at 10 feet on single, double, and triple loads, my kind of chrono :D ) and it gives you the edge in terms of hitting targets too as one will typically fire straight and true with a `lefty` and a `righty` or `uppy`/`downy` etc with a triple load.

I made a mistake in the shotgun thread - you can only load 3 8mm into the shells for the M1887, not 5, but hey. Also, the M1892 is a bit loose, screws need tightening every 50 shots or so, and they really do need it or you winchester will fall apart. Track down and PM Stutes for a long-term ownership viewpoint on them, although he seems to have got a non-citric (lemony, ha ha ha etc) version and he's smitten as hell with his. Once again, the luck of the draw, to a certain extent.

Anyway, if your still reading then well done! Wordy I know but hopefully of some use to you mate :D

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers! Glad to help. Just to clarify one point now that I'm reading it;

The fourth paragraph : "Mine works fine, but the whole front - literally everything in front of the receiver - is affixed at an angle of about 5 degrees to the receiver!....." is about the M1892 Winchester and not about the M1887. Just in case that caused any confusion :)

That is indeed the only drawback. Damn their sexy shells and completely impractical ejection method.

No idea how the shell catcher works on the Maruzens, I was also pondering complimenting my shotgun collection with the M1100 at some point so I might have to buy one then. If I do I'll do my damndest to get it to work on the M1887!!

I've not played around with the idea of getting the KTW but it would be on the list, in fact, I might just have to promote it onto the list if I hear favourably from your good self!

Aha ha ha I was wondering about those the other day, Vicious; where did you get them please, or what are they exactly?  Tanaka Civilian SAAs of course but any specific model as the two tone is gorgeous!

Cheers fella :)

They are the Classic Cilvilian Tanaka SAA

Im not sure if they are avaiable at retailers anymore. UNcomp and DEN and WGC shop are all out of stock. Not sure if they can be found elsewhere.

Def my favorite looking revolver.

cheers!

In case no one had noticed, there´s a pretty good review of KTW ´73 in here:

http://www.teamkgb.co.uk/kitshow.asp?ID=16

My gun had slight feeding problem with the other BB tube (two supplied with the gun!), but I suppose that was because it wasn´t properly broken in yet. Otherwise I agree with the KGB review.

Aha ha ha I was wondering about those the other day, Vicious; where did you get them please, or what are they exactly?  Tanaka Civilian SAAs of course but any specific model as the two tone is gorgeous!

Cheers fella :)

Airsoft Atlanta still carries the two tone, that come along with really poor wood grips or pearl ones. (although i highly recommend getting Ajax wooden gips.)You could also disassemble two different SAA's and mismatch them back together. thats what i did with mine when i was changing to real steel internals. Now they're B-E-A-U-TIFUL :wub:

Long Days and Pleasant Nights - Jack

Man....I feel left out. I never get called on.

I own:

2 Silver SAA's (1 Artillery which is a first run from over 5 years ago)

I used to own 2 more....but recently sold them due to lack of use or need.

M1887 T2 (w/ 19 shells, lost one this Summer)

Marushin Derringer

M1892 Maxi Randall Classic with full stock

And Currently have on order....as of right now from Olympus Airsoft:

Marushin BlackHawk 10.5 (for my Buntline Project)

New Tanaka SAA w/ removable Cylinder

Tanaka SAA: There are many EXCELLENT topics about SAA's on this forum already so I won't bother covering already trampled ground or what has been said here already other than to say I have actively skirmished with my SAA's for years and consider them more than show pieces. They are a challenge but still a great sidearm. I would avoid AA's SAA's if you can as I still hear rumors of suspect origins. Meaning....I believe these are Tanaka seconds. Similar to the KSC/KWA relationship. I know more people with AA SAA's that have problems than I know of anyone who bought directly from HK. As I said, I have owned my 4 3/4 SAA for over 5 years, first run, bought before many of you even knew what Airsoft was....and I still have NEVER had a problem with it (and it's not like a pamper it at all). If you enjoy Western guns and enjoy a challenge....get an SAA or 2 for your collection.

*NEVER, EVER, buy the cheesy wood grips from overseas for your SAA’s. They are cheap ######. Do yourself a favor and buy AJAX grips or any other real steel Colt SAA grips. For the price you pay for the shoddy overseas garbage, you could get yourself a beautiful set of faux pearl of NICE wood. They do fit fine with no alteration. I have 1 set of faux white pearl, 1 faux black marble, and 1 really nice set of wood. Accept no crappy alternatives. For the record I DO own 2 sets of the Tanaka wood grips….and I feel like I got ripped off.

M1887: I have the T2 but had the opportunity to shoot the "guardian" a couple weeks ago and other than a longer barrel and the solid stock (which does make shooting easier) there really is no difference in over all performance. As Hippy said, it is a great gun with awesome power (indicative of just about all Marushin 8MM models). The feeding mechanism is tricky but functional....though I usually use mine with 1 round single shot....like a Sharps. With one .34 8MM round, the 1887 shoots appx. 460FPS with HFC22. Arguably sniper levels....so that’s how I use mine. There is a piece in the 1887 that is prone to breaking off (have to glue it back in) but it only effects the gun if you use multiple shells. I have a review over at Airsoftplayers.com....but their site is down right now. I'll post it when they come back up as I had a ton of technical data there and I don't have it written anywhere else.

The shells....100% better than the Maruzen ones (I own 4 Maruzen shell shotties) but you pay for them. I guess I’m used to the shell ejecting feature from my M1100’s so I don’t consider that a huge deal….but it does mean you won’t be running and shooting. The M1887 ejects shells straight up and back (at your face) so no shell catcher would work well (my opinion). As I said, I usually shoot one at a time, rack open the lever, catch the flying shell (cool to watch), stick it in my pocket, and load another. Again….not for everyone.

I would recommend the 1887 to any western fan who again....wants a challenge.

NOTES: 1 handed cocking is possible....but discouraged. I have done it several times but with the lack of a metal body I already have stress fractures in my plastic body. Racking the lever must be done with "purpose" or the gun may not feed. This may just be that I was treating mine with kid gloves for awhile but I notice others have the same issue until they get used to it.

I have skirmished 4 times this summer with mine and it has performed quite admirably. It is also one of the only guns that I have made someone fall down in pain from. A buddy of mine wanted to know “what it felt like” with only 1 BB after I did my chrono tests. At 20 feet I made him crumble. I did hit him in a soft spot….but it is the only gun he’s ever had that type of reaction to….and he’s a big boy who’s used to being shot.

M1892: First off….the full sized M1892 sucks. Marushin really dropped the ball on that model. I had one in my possession for about 2 weeks and it was nothing but a disappointment. Nice looking wall hanger but terrible performance all around. It did have satisfying lever action but after that it was just a disaster. Seal leaks, barrel issues, etc. Again, there’s a great review of the 1892 on Airsoft players from Hawaii’s 888 (arguably the best person to talk SAA’s and Western Airsoft guns to)….but their site is down. I will post a link when I can to that as well.

That being said, I had heard that with the 1892 Maxi Randall Classic Marushin had fixed many of the performance issues….so when I got the chance to buy 888’s customized model, I jumped at it. Basically the 1892 Maxi is the cut down version and it’s true, they did fix the primary problem, the gas retention system. Mine, because of 888, has the solid stock on it which really is nice as well. The barrel issues I experienced with the full sized model were eliminated partially by the shortened overall size as well as some minor changes in the construction. I have skirmished with mine several times, usually as a dress up game extra….but it performs comparable to a mid range GBB.

Never had an issue loading mine….

Would I recommend the M1892 Maxi? Yeah, I guess so. If you could get thea solid stock? Yes. But it really is a novelty and when you compare it to the SAA’s and 1887 as far a “skirmishability”….it’s on the lower end. Cool gun….just not really worth it. Again, I love mine….but if you plan on shooting, get the M1887.

I want to make it clear that I love Western guns….but I like to actually play with my guns. Yeah, I dress up….but I want to know I can actually use the iron when I need to.

Marushin Derringer: Cheap. Weak. Cute. Fun to have but if you ever have to rely on it in a game, as in it’s your last chance of survival….you’re screwed. I was given one as a gift and it sees almost no field time other than a “sneaky hidden backup” in games where I’m role-playing.

Marushin BlackHawk: Big cool gun. Decent power. ###### Hop. Shell usage is cool but not for everyone. It’s a beast though, so if you pick one up be prepared for the heft. A buddy of mine bought one of these about a month ago and he let me carry/use it during a skirmish a couple weeks ago. I really like (ergo why I have one on order) but I honestly don’t think it’s as good as the SAA. The modern look doesn’t bother me at all, neither does the shell usage….and it has great power. It just didn’t seem to be as reliable in regards to putting 8MM in the 10 ring at over 30 feet. He had the 7.5 and it was brand new so he hadn’t really tweaked it at all….so I’m getting one in the hopes it can be fine tuned to make it more skirmishable. Really there is nothing wrong with this gun, and for the record I do love it, but until I own my own I just don’t have anything more than a feeling about it. So….I’d go for a Tanaka SAA before a BlackHawk. It’s been out longer, there are aftermarket parts (though they can be hard to get), and there are a ton of fans who can help you should something go wrong.

I’ll post the links to the AirsoftPlayers reviews as soon as I can.

Oh….I almost bought the KTW Winchester….but the M1892 Maxi from 888 came up just at the right time. I would still be interested in picking one up for nothing more than a novelty.

• 4 months later...

I know this is old but this thread is what convinced me to buy my 1887 guard's gun, which came yesterday (from UNCompany).

I agree with the reviews so far. It's beautiful, very fun to cycle, a pain to load, powerful to shoot. I found that I could load all 5 shells into the magazine at once with no problems with the lever action, though I haven't tried 5+1 in the breach yet.

One issue I noticed was that the lever can fall open easily if you don't squeeze the lever to the handle until you hear a 'click.'

I can't wait to try this out in a game. It will force me to choose my shots carefully, but with the range this thing puts out, I will hopefully be able to keep some distance. I know it can't really function as a true skirmish gun, so I've been thinking of ways to make a fully skirmishable western setup. I have 1 SAA right now, and I'm planning on getting another. With the M1887 and two SAAs, that's 12 shots + 5 (maybe 6 if I can keep one in the chamber) shotgun shots. Reloading for both on the field would be a pain. If someone makes a really good Winchester 1873 it'll be perfect. In fact, for realism's sake, that should be your main arm anyway. I forget who said it, but there's a quote I read that goes, "Your Colt [sAA] is only good for fighting your way to your Winchester [rifle]." It's got the highest shot capacity, and the easiest reload.

I'd really like to get the KTW 1873 next, and perhaps tinker with the springs to see if I can up the power, but everyone is sold out of them right now. Anyone know of anywhere that still has them available?

Haha, well, I'm keeping 6 as though I had just loaded for a shootout. I wouldn't really be concerned with the safety of a round in front of the hammer at that point.

What I really need is for Tanaka to reproduce a Colt LeMat (w/cartridge conversion). 9 shots + 1 shotgun round. I know the cartridge conversion is probably unrealistic, but that would be a superb all-in-one gun.

lemattwo1.jpg

Darn this is a fun thread. I've been thinking I would save my pennies and get a M14, but now I am leaning toward a Tanaka SAA and KTW1873. I'm half okee, so I already have the rest of the kit.

Sheeeatt, my boots are itchin to be worn, my stetson is crying to be waved, and my quick draw rig hasn't felt steel in years.

Heck, if you boys find a place to order the ktw, don't keep it to yourselves. I'll send over a shot of Jack to the hombre who spills the beans!

Yer prayers ain't gone unanswered. Guns 'N' Guys seems to have not only the KTW 1873, but the KTW 1873 Randall Custom! I didn't even know KTW made a Randall Custom. It must be new.

KTW Randall Custom @ gunsnguys.com

I've sent a request for a quote. Hopefully it's in stock, because the price is very nice as well.

Also, I just discovered this fuzzy thing over at Airsoft Armory last week:

http://www.airsoft-armory.com/Catalog.aspx...&productID=83-2

I can't tell, and the information is sketchy, but it almost appears to be the full size version of the crappy-shooting Hudson Mad Max gun. I am also skeptical of the 36 pretty positive "reviews" it has received. How come I've never heard of it?

And I wonder what is taking companies so long to produce a classic double barreled shotgun? It has appeal outside of Western geeks, in that it is used in movies ranging from Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels to The Bourne Identity. Or hell, Doom 2! You'd think it'd have more immediate appeal than some of the other more obscure guns that have been released.

Also, I just discovered this fuzzy thing over at Airsoft Armory last week:

http://www.airsoft-armory.com/Catalog.aspx...&productID=83-2

I can't tell, and the information is sketchy, but it almost appears to be the full size version of the crappy-shooting Hudson Mad Max gun.  I am also skeptical of the 36 pretty positive "reviews" it has received.  How come I've never heard of it?

And I wonder what is taking companies so long to produce a classic double barreled shotgun?  It has appeal outside of Western geeks, in that it is used in movies ranging from Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels to The Bourne Identity.  Or hell, Doom 2!  You'd think it'd have more immediate appeal than some of the other more obscure guns that have been released.

try a search on the forums here, i believe the owner of that site had a thread going on them, apperently they have one like the hudson model, and the fullstock model.

try a search on the forums here, i believe the owner of that site had a thread going on them, apperently they have one like the hudson model, and the fullstock model.

I searched but could find nothing. I searched for "hudson," "double-barreled shotgun," "double barrel," etc. Anything else I could use to refine my search? I'd really like to read that thread.

Archived