Marushin Blackhawk Mini-Review

Marushin Blackhawk Mini-Review

000_0693.jpg

Intro

Released in January of 2005, Marushin added the Sturm Ruger single action Blackhawk to their lineup of 8mm, shell loading revolvers. Being quite attractive in silver, and having been bored of my Tanaka SAA, I put in the order to Redwolf and got one for $160 shipped. I actually sold this gun a while ago, but never bothered to publish the writeup until now...so I apologize for the delay.

First impressions:

The Marushin Blackhawk has far more metal content than any revolver you'd believe, including Tanaka's "HW" models and the Marushin Redhawk. The entire grip backstrap and most of the gripframe is solid metal, and not "pot metal," either. The barrel is plastic, but made of some kind of polymer. It's definitely not cheap ABS plastic; it's cool to the touch and is quite hefty on the muzzle end.

The weapon in all dimensions is larger than the Tanaka SAA, and is also noticably heavier than my HW Calvary model.

The paint job is about the same quality as WA's silver, as it resisted stripping when I first applied my solvent to take off the orange blaze paint, but soon gave way to reveal the black colouring underneath. Nothing a little sanding and re-spraying with gloss silver Rustoleum paint couldn't fix.

More on the finish. The finish isn't nickel-plated or shiny like on the Tanaka SAAs, but isn't matte silver like the WA M4013 TSW and Para-Ord HRT special. It's described by Marushin on the box to be "Gloss Silver Finish," and it's exactly what it looks like: matte silver paint covered in a layer of gloss enamel. It's a little interesting, and unlike the real Blackhawk's stainless offering, but still looks classy enough and not cheesy like a silver springer pistol. Might even use the word "pimp" to describe it....

000_0694.jpg

Loading and Features

Marushin really took Tanaka out here as far as coolness and realism. Yes, those are brass shells, loaded from the rear just like a real Blackhawk and SAA! You open the loading gate like so, but instead of rotating to find the gas port on the SAA, you load each shell in one by one, rotating the cylinder as you go. The cylinder clicks with every rotation, just like the real-steel.

Each brass shell holds one 8mm BB; to load, you simply push a BB into the shell until you hear a "click." You can use an included loader for this, but I used a Q-tip. Much easier and won't scratch up the shell.

Just like the real-steel, the Marushin Blackhawk has an adjustable rear sight and a removable front blade. The Ruger Vaquero ("Cowboy") is the fixed sight variant.

I really have enjoyed using this pistol precisely because of the action. The single action is by far the smoothest and crisp I've ever used, EASILY beating out the Tanaka SAA, Tanaka M29 series, M10, M66, M500, and Marushin Redhawk. The hammer is made of machined metal, not casted pot metal, and is very large and beefy. Looks great, and also is easy to cock under fire.

000_0706.jpg

Performance Factors/Accuracy Tests

Carrying out my standard 20 foot, 6 shot green gas test, I attained a 2 inch grouping with one stray shot, using Marushin 8mm .34g BBs. Not so bad, but then again, the gun has no recoil and also has a 7.5 inch barrel. My Tanaka SAA Calvary scored slightly better at this range.

Taking the Blackhawk out to the yard, I conducted a long range accuracy test and found the revolver, even with adjusted hopup, to swerve uncontrollably at times at 60-70 feet. Some shots would go straight and true, putting the Marui GBBs to shame, then others would swerve left, right, up, down. The hopup on this gun isn't too grand, but its perfectly usable in CQB or mid-range (50 feet or so). I'd compare the general long-range performance of this gun to be of a stock Western Arms GBB with the hopup tuned.

Blondie of TeamKGB in the UK told me that .43 8mm BBs provide significantly more accuracy, though I didn't have .43s at the time of testing to confirm this.

The Marushin Blackhawk chronoed at around 340 FPS with .34 BBs and Taiwanese green gas, on a fairly warm (75F) day. Marushin recommends that you not use green gas in these revolvers because the gas transfer tube may rupture from the pressure, but I haven't heard of this happening in the Redhawk or the Blackhawk. I used only green gas in all my Marushin pieces with no failures whatsoever.

000_0704.jpg

Conclusion

Marushin's Blackhawk is an affordable revolver offering a heavy, durable, powerful, and fairly accurate piece for under $175. The smooth non-fluted cylinder is unique, and the gun is lots of fun to shoot. Also, the gas is filled in the grip, NOT via the cylinder, so you don't need the annoying Tanaka gas extension tube. 8mm BBs are far more ferocious than 6 mils and rip apart soda cans, cardboard, and plastic BBs containers with ease. The only downside I can think of is the lack of long range consistency, and the fact that 8mm BBs are expensive (12-15 or so dollars for a pack of 500 .34s...)

Any questions/comments/flaming, feel free.

The hammer is machined? I seem to see a faint mold line on it, thanks to your excellent photos.

I noticed it too, I'd like to rephrase that statement, in that handling many KJW FMVs (the epitomy of casted pot metal) the hammer is unlike anything I've experienced, so my impression of it that it's machined....not 100% on that.

Let's say it is casted though, as the seam line is a dead giveaway. The hammer is still beefier and DARE I say...sturdier than the spindly thin one on the Tanaka SAAs and .38s.