Pistol - cocked or not?

Hissing_Sid

Probably been done before but still...

Just wondering how you feel about carrying pistols cocked during skirmishes?

Personally, if I'm using a gun with an external hammer I ALWAYS rack the slide to chamber a BB then drop the mag and pull the trigger. My first shot will then be fired either after cocking the hammer manually or firing in double action.

Really, this is a bit pointless cos everybody is wearing eye protection and the worst thing that's gonna happen is that somebody (probably me) is gonna get a BB in the foot.

I dunno why I do it but it just feels like the "right" thing to do.

However, this isn't possible with a Glock and, I admit, I rack the slide on my glocks and then holster them cocked. Kinda hypocritical really since the (airsoft) Glock has less safety features than any other pistol.

Then there's a couple of related questions...

1) If you own a Colt SAA, can you fan the hammer to shoot it?

2) Anybody else noticed that a Marui DE won't shoot if you just cock the hammer? You MUST rack the slide for it to fire. Oddness.

Anyway, feel free to discuss any of the points raised above. I'm just wondering what everybody else does.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, if I'm using a gun with an external hammer I ALWAYS rack the slide to chamber a BB then drop the mag and pull the trigger. My first shot will then be fired either after cocking the hammer manually or firing in double action.

Really, this is a bit pointless cos everybody is wearing eye protection and the worst thing that's gonna happen is that somebody (probably me) is gonna get a BB in the foot.

However, this isn't possible with a Glock and, I admit, I rack the slide on my glocks and then holster them cocked. Kinda hypocritical really since the (airsoft) Glock has less safety features than any other pistol.

2) Anybody else noticed that a Marui DE won't shoot if you just cock the hammer? You MUST rack the slide for it to fire. Oddness.

Anyway, feel free to discuss any of the points raised above. I'm just wondering what everybody else does.

I always keep the gun fully cocked. I dont want to have to fiddle with a hammer when I am trying to quick draw. It defeats the purpose of a quick draw.

:Dr_Evil:

Yup, I do the same thing, decocking guns with external hammers but carrying Glocks cocked. Dunno why, but... meh. As for the other points:

1) If you mean can it be done, then yes. If you mean can I do it, I'm getting better, but not perfect yet.

2) Um... not sure on that. I don't remember that being a problem, but I sold mine a month or so ago, so I could be wrong.

:zorro:

Depends:

If I've got a pistol in a woodland skirmish, usually a Glock but not always, I don't have a bb chambered.

I've had bb's chambered the bb's sometimes get knocked out, which isn't a huge problem because your first shot is a dry fire and I'd tend to fire a burst anyway.

But mainly I don't want to risk walking into the safe area with a bb in the chamber if I forget to take the mag out & clear it. It's still a loaded gun but it can't fire a bb. Just a quirk of mine.

Anyway my G18C MAEG makes it irrelivant now.

For CQB/Comps/range shooting I often have my pistol in a concealed carry with a round chambered depending on the agreed rules.

However I'm quite a fan of Fairbairn & Sykes work on this subject and practice drawing an unloaded pistol, cocking it & shooting a triple tap at speed. I generally beat players when they're drawing a loaded pistol from a drop leg (usually ideal platfom) & mines unloaded in side my jacket.

Hmm, got long winded.

So on the whole, no my sidearms usually uncocked/unloaded.

If you own a Colt SAA, can you fan the hammer to shoot it?

If you mean can it be done, then yes. If you mean can I do it, I'm getting better, but not perfect yet.

Could you do that with a SAA? Like to unload all six rounds as fast as possible.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, i used to keep my glock cocked and not-really-locked-but-slighty-harder-to-fire. I'll probably leave my m190 and socom on double action for simplisity.

well to start off with My police and tactical shoot and move training has taught me out of habit to decock and safety my sidearm before holstering.

to answer your questions.

1. i will tell you when my m700 is sold.

2. yes. and my USPc is the same bloody way unless you actually use the decocker.

I tend to carry the airsoft Glocks in condition zero, hammer fully cocked and no external safety applied. I'd never do that with a real firearm, but as you said it's just a BB and everyone's wearing safety goggles. Other than that I handle every airsoft exactly if it were real so don't think I belittle safety rules. My Hi-Capa I carry in condition one, cocked with the safety on.

Our SOP at work defines that all (real) weapons are carried with an empty chamber and safety on (if applicable). I've noticed that US peacekeepers carry their M16's with the hammer cocked, because with the hammer down the selector won't go into safe position. I assume they also have an empty chamber.

I'd have no problem carrying a real firearm cocked with the safety on, so I'm even less bothered if I have a loaded toygun in a holster on my side.

-Sale

Always carry it ready to go... what good is a backup gun if its not immediately available. The most times I have ever had to use a pistol is when

a.) Gun out of ammo and target still isn't hit. Rather than fall for cover and lose momentum it is better to keep the enemy scared. (when he is liable to make a mistake). The second you get down the bad guy has a chance to become the aggressor and then you die.

b.) Gun is dead somehow (battery, broken, etc) in which case i switch to pistol until i get back to base to get another AEG.

There was one time I was fired upon from my 3'oclock from a guy i had no idea was there. That time, instinctually (I had been engaging a target at my 12 moving forward) I fell to the ground and threw my gun in front of me to the left. (while drawing pistol with my right) and unloaded into the guy at my 3. I did not get him but it was enough to scare him back and give me time to recover from the suprise.

In all it boils down to tactical awareness and instinct (enhanced with practice), with a sidearm. If you dont have a holster/rig you can get your sidearm out of in a split second, its hardly worthwhile because your sidearm should be available for immediate reaction. Several times my gun has run out of BBs so I switch to sidearm and those extra seconds I didnt waste was enough to get the baddie.

anyway thats my $.02

Archived