A different approach to spam?

Greetings,

recently it came to my attention that in various threads certain indivuals turned away from the initial topic and started having their own discussion about really not releated things. Eventually a mod stepped in and locked the thread because of being close to a "party pad" or having gone offtopic.

Now basically thats a good reaction and its nice to see that people are taking care of spam, but the problem with this approach is that there is no more room left to discuss the initial thread topic. Since the spam discussions are mostly being developed within a very short time it does not leave enough opportunity for the one who created the thread to answer each serious reply or for someone who hasnt had the chance to check the forums in the last few hours and to add his own few cents/advice.

I dont really have a problem with spam as long as its not overdone but can it be kept outside of the general discussion at least? Can you find ways to prevent people from turing a thread into a spam-fest or find ways around locking them? Id be thankful if yes.

Oh and of course Im willing to help creating a solution in case anyone's with me.

(Yes it happened to me recently and thats why Im writing this but thats no secret.)

i suppose if you had your own thread that was gettign spammed, you could just report it and get the spam cleaned out of it.

i do think before a 'spammed' topic gets locked, if its good the author should be asked if he/she minds if it is closed, because,a s you say, some spammed topics are gernerally a wealth of info for people.

so basically all i would ask for is that if a good thread is spammed, the author is asked if it needs to be closed, or just cleaned up.

on the other hand, i dont know how much time this would take, but not that long, surely ?

That may be true to a certain extend, however there are many people who arent checking the boards 24/7. As I pointed out, the speed with which the off topic discussions are developing once they have been started does not give people who are not on all the time a chance to reply.

When threads are being locked a few hours after they have been created I just dont think its safe to say there was no one anymore who would have wanted to reply.

A solution would maybe be an option for the thread creator to add a final word after the thread has been locked because of spam. That way he could adress the more valuable posts that have been made and thank the persons for their contribution. Doesnt that sound fine :P?

Speak to the mod yourself.

I had a thread where Ubar and some other prat spammed it to death and it was locked. At my request the mod cleared out the spam and posted a warning about any more. Results:

Thread reopened and went the right way.

Basho

Edited by Basho

"Spam is nature's way of saying "No one cares."

No, spam is thinking "I can post ###### here and nobody will be bothered" but since one can not look into other people's heads I think its a quite immature attitude ;)

Ah well yeah probably one has to let the mods clean the mess up then :P

Unless it's Jebus making his obligatory post in every thread.

:zorro:

I don't, there are alot of threads I'm staying away from due to respect of their original content/ how the discussion is going.

But random/pointless threads?

Definitly, I love it.

Edited by Lord Jebus