KSC G17 problems

Hissing_Sid

Here's the deal; I bought a KSC G17 a couple of months back, fitted a G&P metal slide and a Guarder recoil spring & rod and it's had pride of place as my "showcse" skirmish pistol.

I haven't actually fired it that much. A couple of hundred shots maximum. None of the internal components are showing signs of wear beyond the removal of some of the paint, as you'd expect.

So, a week ago I gas it up, pull the trigger and it does a really feeble impression of a G18. The slide rattles backward and forward about 10mm while my finger is on the trigger, then it vents the remainder of the gas.

It appears that the trigger-disconnect doo-dah isn't working so the hammer immediately falls as soon as the slide recocks the hammer.

Oh dear.

I've checked this manually.

If I pull the trigger, hold it down, pull the slide back and then let it go forward I find that the trigger is jammed in the backward position and the hammer is down. basically, it's already fired.

Anyway, I swapped the metal slide for the original plastic one and the problem went away. The gun works fine with the plastic slide.

I had a bit of a play and found that by doing the above test (after re-fitting the metal slide), while also pressing down on the slide, the gun would cycle properly.

It seems, basically, that the little doo-dah which sticks up from the trigger bar and stops the trigger releasing the hammer while the slide is moving is just a tiny bit too short.

I have no idea how this has happened as it has happened suddenly. The gun had never once done this until the time it started doing it permanantly. It's not like it wore out gradually.

With the gun as it is now it seems like the G&P slide is either slightly too tall or the slide rails are slightly too wide which is allowing it to ride higher up.

That's what I would think if it'd acted this way since day one but the fact that it's suddenly started doing this makes me wonder if I'm missing something else.

I reckon I have 2 choices. I can either (somehow) modify the trigger bar so it sits higher up so it'll work correctly or I can try putting some kind of gasket (cardboard maybe) on top of the firing block to lower it down inside the slide a fraction.

Anybody know if I should think about doing anything different?

I had this with a G19 after a took it too pieces, I fixed it by taking out the gas chamber and refitting it, the hammer safety bar thingy does get worn quite quickly, so maybe fitting something under the chamber to push it down would be the best thing. Or maybe nicking a new hammer bar thingy from another G17?

McM

I had this with a G19 after a took it too pieces, I fixed it by taking out the gas chamber and refitting it, the hammer safety bar thingy does get worn quite quickly, so maybe fitting something under the chamber to push it down would be the best thing. Or maybe nicking a new hammer bar thingy from another G17?

McM

My g19 does this after a while when the gas gets low or it gets too much cooldown. this probabley isnt related though, but just incase, sit on the mags for about 20 mins till their toasty and try?

Cheers,

Smash Joehanson

• 5 months later...

Archived