G&G GR300 Review Lots

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got my GR300 today :D :D :D

It's a great piece, solid and hard shooting except I still have one problem. The stock doesn't seem that 'solid'. It has quite a bit of play (a few centimeters) when folded, and a little less play when extended (a few mm's). It's nothing terrible, but it does bug me.

Any suggestions on how to stiffen up the stock?

Any suggestions on how to stiffen up the stock?

Yes tighten up the grub screws!

when folded the play is for a reason, its to allow you to slightly pull it away from the body when lifting otherwise you'll find it very hard to unfold the stock.

Also you might want to tighten the nut where it screws into the body of the gun.

Alright, screwed the screws and tightened any nuts I could find. If anything it's gotten worse (and counting). Here's a pic with the culprits of this wobble highlighted, and a quick and crappy video to show just how much it moves.

stock9mk.jpg

And the video:

http://eljack.bulldoghome.com/pages/eljack...om/IMG_0002.AVI

It seems like not only is the actual stock end a bit wobbly, but the hinge which it sits on is as well. The largest part of the wobble comes from the blue higlighted part. I can't seem to find the screws/grubs that hold it in place. As for the hinge (in red), tightening the screw on the bottom (flathead) does nothing.

I'm stumped, and don't want to fork out another $100 for a stock that actually works :(

Edited by teetee

Sorry this is going further off topic but I'm curious.

Obviously it needs a return/recoil spring but considering that the bolt carrier occupies most of the upper receiver space when in battery(reason for buffer tube in std AR's), plus it needs a return spring, where does it all fit considering it still has to move beyond the ejection port in recoil. Is the bolt carrier chopped down but in that case how does the hammer not get tangled with the return spring?

I see, but that still leaves the bolt carrier which I presume must have had its rear end cut down to allow the exposed portion(ejection port) to go to the rear of the receiver during firing.

Anyone got any links to real steel exploded diagrams etc?

Cheers.

That's what I mean. I wasn't aware it was based on an actual gun, that's all.

Anyway, have you had any mis/double feeding issues with this gun? I heard some G&Gs have sort of dodgy hop-ups.

It seems like the GR300 functions very well though, the performance is very impressive, especially considering that short barrel. There's no real reason to get the long version, is there.

Edited by Utty
  • 2 months later...

Real Steel web page

Yes, this is based on a real steel weapon!

I purchased the GR300L from Redwolf last week. This is my first full size AEG. Most of my other guns are compacts (UMP, P90, MP5). I was looking for a gun with better range over my beloved P90.

The gun is very well made, all metal. Very sturdy.

The hop-up stinks! But, all G&G hop-ups need time to work well. My UMP took about 2000rds to get it working properly. On the GR300, using .25 with the HOP-up all on, the BB's go straight and far, but you can't get them to curve up. On my gun (since I lubed it) the hop-up will NOT stay put! It moves when the gun is fired. This is the 8th G&G gun I've messed with, and they all are underlubed in both the gearbox and hop-up. This is really easy to fix!

The gun is LOUD! People knew it was me firing at them due to the distinct sound of the gun! However, I took it apart to add a System M120 gearbox, and found that there is hardly any lube in the gearbox. So I lubed it all up. It seams like there is no lube on the cylinder set and very little on the gears. After all this, the gun not only seams to shoot faster, but it is half the sound it used to be.

I also did the same thing with my UMG, and with the silencer on, you can't tell it's shooting any more!

What I have also found out....

G&G DOESN'T use metal bushings, they are all plastic!

The M100 spring is about 25mm shorter then a systema or PDI spring

They don't use a lot of grease inside the gearbox.

The guns DO NOT have a tight bore barrel installed. It may be a 6.05 or something most stock ones are 6.08.

The hop ups use a little rubber cylinder to push down the rubber of the hop-up. If you change this out with the standard TM plastic one, the hop-up becomes much more adjustable. The BB's will push up on the rubber deforming it. This turns down the hop-up but will kind of self adjust it. The charging handle does not pop down the dust cover. You have to move it with your hand. This is close to impossible with gloves on. But you will never get any ###### in the hop-up from the cover opening up.

I've used the gun in only one game, and got quite a few kills with it. The standard sights are nice. With goggles on you can quickly acquire a target. I painted the needle of the end sight white to make it stand out more. It's also quick and easy to adjust. I never have to really look at the sight to see what I'm adjusting. You know, when you want to adjust windage and you do elevation instead? Yes, not with this one!

The battery box is large, right now I have a 9.6 1700mah split pack in there, it lasted all day and then some. I'd say about 3500 rds.

Playing...

It is very accurate from the box. This is by far the best quality gun I have purchased. The ROF is wicked! I have a few mags with it. one is a 850 rds auto winder and a few 130rds mid caps. I go thew the mid cap with out even realizing it! The gun is fast! Since I have not found a suitable sling yet. I had to carry it all day. It did start to tire me. It's a little hard to cary with out a handle. It's not super heavy, but does have some heft. There was never any misfeed or any other problems with it, other then the hop-up not being broken in yet. (my UMP had the same problem as does my friends RK104) I'm not used to a long weapon and kept getting the barrel caught on brush. I'm sure once I get a sling this will not happen. It's hard to transverse over fallen trees holding the gun with one hand and balancing with the other as you go over a fallen tree. The folding stock is great! It's very sturdy and stays in place. Yes, it does have a little bit of play in it. But find me any folding stock that doesn't? It's very tiny and a non issue. I'm 6ft and over 200lbs, so I like the length of the stock. My cheek is right where it should be. With the stock folded it feels like a completely different weapon. Once I got a kill by holding it like a pistol at full arm extension! But you can't hold it there for to long.

This is now going to be my primary gun for any long range skirmishes. It's to big for CQB stuff (mine is the LONG 420mm barrel one) IMHO, G&G is making the HIGHEST quality AEG on the market right now. No one around me has had any problems with G&G on my team we have about 10 different ones all up and running.

Upgrades....

Well I can't leave enough alone. It was tough shooting guys threw brush. Over here we have a 400fps rule and most are around there. But I was able to get 90% of their range with my stock gun! Yesterday I installed.....

6.03 420mm tight bore

Systema M120 complete gearbox

PVS-14 scope (looks KILLER on there, this is a red-dot in a night vision scope)

Now stripping the gun is a bit of a pain.

To remove the upper receiver you have to take apart the battery connector. Getting the pins out of the tamiya mini connector is a pain! There is a tiny hole where the wire go threw. After you get the wires threw the body, the fake bolt catch can scratch the upper as you slide it off. Also you must pul the cocking handle out, but don't pull to hard, or it will come out! Since this is my first M4 variant. Getting the gearbox out was a challenge. The mag catch is a pain. You have to push in, and on the other side unscrew it. The bolt catch in the way. The bolt catch has to go back in before you put the gearbox back in. The upper is very solid! This gun will NEVER have any barrel wobble! The systema gearbox fit perfectly. However the nozzle is about 5mm longer over the G&G one. This proved to be a non issue. For some reason the systema gearbox is a little tighter in the lower to. The selector is a little tight turning. It might just need to wear in a bit.

Now getting it all back in one piece...

It helps if you pull back the hop-up when feeding the battery wires (with out connector) back into the for grip. You have to do this with the upper part way on. The wires are no long enough. Make sure they don't get pinched in the mag well.

In closing...

Great gun! VERY high quality. Must be broken in & needs lube.

No tight bore, no metal bushings. 9.5 out of 10. 10 out of 10 for out of the box performance!

Great reply EVO. I'll agree, the GR300 is a solid performer.

Mine had the slight problem of the motor requiring readjusting. Solved with a flathead screwdriver in a few minutes.

I want to ask, although slightly offtopic, how do you like the Systema M120 mechbox? I'm strongly considering going with this setup if the GR300 gearbox does ever give up so I'd appreciate any input. Again, good review!

Great reply EVO. I'll agree, the GR300 is a solid performer.

Mine had the slight problem of the motor requiring readjusting. Solved with a flathead screwdriver in a few minutes.

I want to ask, although slightly offtopic, how do you like the Systema M120 mechbox? I'm strongly considering going with this setup if the GR300 gearbox does ever give up so I'd appreciate any input. Again, good review!

Pics of my G&G GR300L

Well the gearbox has only been in the gun for a day, so no long term thoughts yet. I am playing this sunday with it. Also will get the thing cronoed.

The Systema gearbox is a tight fit and the selector is much stiffer. The internals of the G&G gearbox is high quality. Really all you need is to get a new bearing piston head, guide then a new spring & bushings.

The Kings Arms 850RD Auto winder is way cool! But hard to carry in any standard pouches.

Edited by EVOIIIM3
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit of a bump but having had my GR300S for a month or so I thought I would tell you of my experiences.

Obviously its an amazing looking gun and I fell in love with looks at first sight.

Now FarEast got 320 out of the box with his, but mine was firing at 270! So not very happy with that I put it in to my local shop for a 1j upgrade.

The tech in the shop had a massive problem upping the fps, even sticking a M110 in there only got it up to 300 fps! He also said what a pain it was to install.

So I take it to its first skirmish still not overly impressed with the performance- the hop up would hardly adjust and was next to useless- even dialed all the way up it hardly made a blind bit of difference. Most of my mates guns were outranging me by almost twice the distance and they were no more than 330 fps.

Into my second 30 minute game and having fired no more than 900 bbs there was a horrid screech from the gear box and then nada. One stripped gear box.

So at present its back in the workshop having the gear box rebuilt and some upgrades (new bearings, piston etc). Here's hoping that I have better luck next time.

So far I am not at all impressed with its performance but its looks are still second to none.

Well the GR300s is back from the workshop.

Apparently the motor had slipped down and failed to engage the main gear correctly, thus stripping it. While it was open we threw a deep fire piston in there and some metal bearings. With the upgrades its now firing at a steady 328fps which is great.

The hop was fine, the problem was it was smothered in grease- apparently this is common on G&G's. Its now performing much better with most of the grease cleaned off.

Well the GR300s is back from the workshop.

Apparently the motor had slipped down and failed to engage the main gear correctly, thus stripping it.  While it was open we threw a deep fire piston in there and some metal bearings. With the upgrades its now firing at a steady 328fps which is great.

The hop was fine, the problem was it was smothered in grease- apparently this is common on G&G's. Its now performing much better with most of the grease cleaned off.

The same thing happened to my GR300 (motor slip). Luckily I noticed it early enough, but still I'm only firing around ~280 now.

Oh well, I *know* the gearbox is just going to fail one day so I've put aside cash for it.

Hey all, This is a very interesting thread.

Im considering getting a gr300 although I am unsure on whether to get the long or short version? has anyone compared the performance of the two?

another question.... would it be possible/ has anyone attached a silencer to one of these, I would like to see what it looks like.

Thanks

-Mike

a couple of questions

1. where can you put a tac sling on that, and what type(m4 type?)

2. how would you be able to put a vertical foregrip on that(a picture of the lower part of the handguard would be nice)

I can't belive I'm actually thinking of getting a G&G :blink:

thanks

EDIT: how long is the short version with stock collapsed?

Edited by Morbidus
a couple of questions

1. where can you put a tac sling on that, and what type(m4 type?)

2. how would you be able to put a vertical foregrip on that(a picture of the lower part of the handguard would be nice)

I can't belive I'm actually thinking of getting a G&G  :blink:

thanks

EDIT: how long is the short version with stock collapsed?

1- yes you can- it comes with really nice quick release sling mounts that can be put in various configurations to suit taste and handedness.

2- There is no rail on the foregrip so in theory you cannot put a vertical foregrip on. I'm sure theres a work around though.

The short version is 23 inches long with the stock folded.