L85 A2

luninhk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did have a little bit of a problem with mine at a game in Texas a few weeks back.

My rifle was only firing at 160 fps by the end of the day, but I think it was my battery dying rather than the rifle itself, at least I hope it was.

Hey Safety, you might want to try chrono'ing your gun again. The person running chrono was struggling a bit in getting people to make sure their barrels were aligned with the Guarder chrono. Thus, some people were getting lower-than-expected results because they were actually shooting the inside of the chrono. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your L85. Hopefully just a lube problem no sealing in the cylinder or something.

One of the guys checking yours out ended up buying one, and used it last week. Right at the limit we use in Texas with .2g if you recall what we use.

The accuracy on my 80 has been great, the bb flies upwards after a bit, but otheriwse it shoots where i aim it, and i use iron sights. very pleased wiht gun so far (touch wood) thoguh the fire selector, or somehitng broke inside, where by it only fired in full auto.

saftycatch mate, if your having issues with your gun I can repair it for you. I repaired and upgraded ed-skar's academy sa80 a while back, so I dont mind repairing yours if you want. I could also fit some upgrades if you desire. just drop me a pm, I've had experiences with the star sa80 recently myself, I had to repair a friend's whose had the same problem as yours.

There are quite a few people speaking ill of the plastic gearbox. Has anyone actually had a problem with it? I trust it more than I trust TM's stock gearboxes. Plastic is better than pot metal at absorbing the repeated shock of a piston slamming forward. I'm just curious how valid the concerns are.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it turns out it was a number of things stopping my rifle from working properly. First of all I had a bent shim which was slowing down the gears and I also found out that Wolf (reliable service my *albartroth*) had put my spring in backwards when they downgraded my rilfe from 450fps.

Anyways my rifle is mighty good now, but I was wondering, is there anyone doing spare external parts yet?

Anyways my rifle is mighty good now, but I was wondering, is there anyone doing spare external parts yet?

On my many travels of exploring sexy Airsoft merchants, its simply lik ep0rn to me!

Anyway, this information may very well be good for many other STAR SA80 L85 fans / owners etc.

Fire-Support are doing internal upgrades for £75

It replaces the following:-

- Motor for Marui EG1000 Short

- Bushes for Guarder bushes

- Shims for systema shims

- Hop rubber for a TM hop rubber

- Piston and Piston Head for Marui piston and Piston head

- Spring for either M90 (300ish fps) or a M100 (340ish fps)

I think I found out why the motors are burning out.First I don't think Star is breaking in the motors and if they don't shape the brushes in the motors correctly is can create friction in the motor which is making them burn out.Also I NOT sure about this but I think the brushes in the motor are shaped squared when they are supposed to be round.Also to break in the motor you need to take it out of the gearbox and connect the motor to the battery.Next you put it in distilled water not tap water distilled.You then run the motor in the water and it will become a mercy color and thats how you break in motor.And if you have any problems after this do not blame as this is at your own risk.

Quite impressed with the overall rifle, might even pickup a carbine later. I haven't had too much time to play with it but noticed a few things that don't impress me. The handguard has about 3mm of play to either side and rattles, the underside of the handgaurd where the interlocking segments are bonded, appear to have 'unbonded'... anyone one know if this is replacable?

Remind yourself, you're using an L85. At least your magazines havn't fallen out yet  :lol:

Hardly the attitude I would expect after dumping 400 quid on a gun.

If I pay 400 quid, I expect it to totally f--king flawless, come with a free 18-year old Nymphomaniac female bikini model from Denmark and a distinct lack of clothing on aforementioned model.

I was referring to the real L85/SA80 (A1 model at least) being an absolute piece of ###### ;)

Thankfully they've ironed out a lot of bugs making it useful for the boys in the  Sandbox right now

Ah, sorry.

Point still stands about STAR L85.

For that much money, I don't expect to have to replace the motor after 1000rounds.

Ah, sorry.

Point still stands about STAR L85.

For that much money, I don't expect to have to replace the motor after 1000rounds.

I assume thats why STAR is holding back the Blow Back Kit so as to perform more reliability tests. Its the only explanation why its not out yet, after all its a very simple add-on.

Archived